Rumored Canelo vs Benavidez PBC PPV September

if Benavidez doesnt keep his arms and elbows tight to his body, Canelo will batter him to the midsection all day. and Canelo is an excellent body puncher.
however, can Canelo beat up Benavidez's guard, like he did to Callum Smith and tried to do to Bivol? If Benavidez isnt affected by that, then Canelo's slow, stalking counterpuncher strategy will leave him open for a lot of trouble. Benavidez i think has the faster hands so he'd be able to pepper Canelo with combinations if Canelo isn't mobile enough.

I think the Canelo who fought Danny Jacobs has the best chance to beat Benavidez; using that style. Benavidez has looked excellent in his last two fights vs Andrade and Plant. Canelo looked fine beating GGG again and Ryder, but which version of him comes to the ring?
Canelo was able to knock Plant out while Benavidez couldnt - this will likely be a point of contention leading up to the fight.

im unsure who has the power advantage. i will give it to Canelo based on past results (BJS's broken face for example), but it could be 50/50. id give Canelo the cardio advantage and obviously Benavidez has the height and reach advantage.

its an intriguing fight!
You give Canelo the cardio advantage? The guy that throws 300-400 single shots each fight and usually slows down after 8? Over the guy that throws 800-900 shots and breaks people down with his workrate? Nah. Benavidez has the cardio, size and reach advantage. Perhabs even the better combinations since Canelo has stopped to throw his shots in combinations. Also he is has youth on his side. Canelo has the poweradvantage, aswell as the better shot placement and stronger chin. Canelo will get the better of benavidez early and it will take benavidez time to break down Canelo. At some point Benavidez will take over and the question will be wether Canelo already has down ernough at this point to bring home the decision. i dont see either man stopping the other. perhabs benavidez being dropped early or Canelo being in big trouble late.

You give Canelo the cardio advantage? The guy that throws 300-400 single shots each fight and usually slows down after 8? Over the guy that throws 800-900 shots and breaks people down with his workrate? Nah. Benavidez has the cardio, size and reach advantage. Perhabs even the better combinations since Canelo has stopped to throw his shots in combinations. Also he is has youth on his side. Canelo has the poweradvantage, aswell as the better shot placement and stronger chin. Canelo will get the better of benavidez early and it will take benavidez time to break down Canelo. At some point Benavidez will take over and the question will be wether Canelo already has down ernough at this point to bring home the decision. i dont see either man stopping the other. perhabs benavidez being dropped early or Canelo being in big trouble late.
Canelo has regressed a bit since but the version that battered Plant would likely stop Benavidez. At the very least beat the shit out of him.

He couldn't even beat the shit out of an inactive 154 pounder. lol.. If they do fight it will be a mismatch.

He couldn't even beat the shit out of an inactive 154 pounder. lol.. If they do fight it will be a mismatch.
Funny how he stopped Plant though and your boy couldn't. Charlo refused to engage and stunk the joint out. That's the only reason he survived.

Not the energy of someone looking to make the biggest fight in boxing....He always just says 'will see'

Canelo knows how to manage his energy better imo. plus he's a good body puncher and Benavidez has a long torso. i see the opposite happening - Benavidez taking the first 3-4 rounds and then Canelo adjusting and coming on strong the rest of the fight. only way i see this being stopped is Canelo to the body on Benavidez. i think both guys' chins are excellent and itll be hard for either to hurt the other to the head. theres also the possibility Benavidez pulls out to a lead that Canelo cant catch up to.

Last edited:
Hard to say where Canelo is at in his career. I think occasionally people expect a little too much. He beat Ryder from pillar to post but was criticized for it but I do agree that he has declined a little from his absolute best. Not quite as slick and mobile as he once was.
That said, I think Benavidez may be in for a shock. He's been used to having things pretty much his way in the ring, I can't think of anyone on his resume that has any of Canelo's tools. Canelo isn't Demtrius Andrade. He's not Caleb Plant. On the other hand,Canelo has seen everything Benavidez can bring to the ring.
I think Canelo has an easier time with Benavidez than people expect. Canelo will take away his pressure and other than pressure, what does Benavidez have? How will Benavidez deal with being the one being pressed by a more skilled and harder hitting fighter than anyone he's fought?

Hard to say where Canelo is at in his career. I think occasionally people expect a little too much. He beat Ryder from pillar to post but was criticized for it but I do agree that he has declined a little from his absolute best. Not quite as slick and mobile as he once was.
That said, I think Benavidez may be in for a shock. He's been used to having things pretty much his way in the ring, I can't think of anyone on his resume that has any of Canelo's tools. Canelo isn't Demtrius Andrade. He's not Caleb Plant. On the other hand,Canelo has seen everything Benavidez can bring to the ring.
I think Canelo has an easier time with Benavidez than people expect. Canelo will take away his pressure and other than pressure, what does Benavidez have? How will Benavidez deal with being the one being pressed by a more skilled and harder hitting fighter than anyone he's fought?
This is a very reasonable take. And I can also see a case for Benavidez, especially at this point in their respective careers. It seems like everyone understands this is the best fight for Canelo to make barring a jump to 175 again, for the likes of Bivol or Beterbiev.

I can’t imagine Cassius Clay beating Sonny Liston. Liston is the HW champion with 2 wins over Floyd Patterson whereas Clay hasn’t beaten anyone. Liston knocks him out in the first 3 rounds.

I can’t imagine Cassius Clay beating Sonny Liston. Liston is the HW champion with 2 wins over Floyd Patterson whereas Clay hasn’t beaten anyone. Liston knocks him out in the first 3 rounds.
Cassius Clay... The Olympic gold medalist? You'd have to give someone with that amateur pedigree a shot, I'd think.

Canelo has seen a young prime 6-2 power puncher with faster hands, endless cardio, aggression, durability and extremely high volume combination punching especially to the body? Please tell me who that fighter is. The closest would be a 35 year old GGG who is much smaller and slower than Benavidez and does not even hit as hard or throw combinations like that. Every punch from Benavidez is heavy and breaks down his opponents and he is great to the body.

Canelo won't be able to take away his pressure because he lacks the volume and endurance or movement. Those single pot shots he throws will not be enough to stop the avalanche of offense from Benavidez and he will just break him down and drown him. I think he beats him down and stops him quite easily. Canelo and eddie also fear this why is why they keep ducking.

A small, flat footed fighter with a poor gas tank is actually tailor made for Benavidez to just tee off on. He won't need to waste time finding him. Clowns still think he hurts Benavidez when he couldn't even hurt a 154 pounder in his last fight or stop him. Charlo was buzzed for a second and took a knee but apart from that no problems over 12 rounds.

Canelo knows how to manage his energy better imo. plus he's a good body puncher and Benavidez has a long torso. i see the opposite happening - Benavidez taking the first 3-4 rounds and then Canelo adjusting and coming on strong the rest of the fight.

When the hell has Canelo ever come on strong late in his career? lol. Even 40 year old GGG and Ryder came on stronger in the last 4 rounds. You can't even get the most obvious basic things right and you are breaking down fights. He will be spent by 6 rounds vs the pressure of Benavidez.

When the hell has Canelo ever come on strong late in his career? lol. Even 40 year old GGG and Ryder came on stronger in the last 4 rounds. You can't even get the most obvious basic things right and you are breaking down fights. He will be spent by 6 rounds vs the pressure of Benavidez.
13 of his 39 KOs have come in rounds 8 or later. His last KO came in round 11 against a guy Benavidez went the distance with.

13 of his 39 KOs have come in rounds 8 or later. His last KO came in round 11 against a guy Benavidez went the distance with.
That does not mean he comes on strong lol. He visually slows down in the last 4 rounds, even past 6 rounds. 40 year old GGG swept the last 4 rounds, imagine a prime 27 year old Benavidez who is a real 168 fighter.

That does not mean he comes on strong lol. He visually slows down in the last 4 rounds, even past 6 rounds. 40 year old GGG swept the last 4 rounds, imagine a prime 27 year old Benavidez who is a real 168 fighter.
Getting a late finish is closing the show out. Even better than coming on strong. Benavidez generally gets stronger as the fight goes on, and Canelo does tend to slow, but the fact remains that the latter still manages to finish a lot of his fights down the stretch. In comparison Benavidez only has a few late stoppages on his record. He has the stamina and as a result output but lacks the stopping power of Canelo despite being a weight bully.

The question will be more that can Benavidez take Canelo’s shots ?
I think he stands more of a chance to do so pressed up against him or at range.
Mid range, the ginger bastard probably hits to hard and too clean for 168.

For Canelo, the question is, can he perform like he does against a taller, younger, faster, busier more conditioned guy mashed up against him like Benavidez does (not like the Mexican way of infighting) ?

If the answer to the first one is yes then I think the answer to the second is no.

At least, that’s what I think.

Canelo has seen a young prime 6-2 power puncher with faster hands, endless cardio, aggression, durability and extremely high volume combination punching especially to the body? Please tell me who that fighter is. The closest would be a 35 year old GGG who is much smaller and slower than Benavidez and does not even hit as hard or throw combinations like that. Every punch from Benavidez is heavy and breaks down his opponents and he is great to the body.

Canelo won't be able to take away his pressure because he lacks the volume and endurance or movement. Those single pot shots he throws will not be enough to stop the avalanche of offense from Benavidez and he will just break him down and drown him. I think he beats him down and stops him quite easily. Canelo and eddie also fear this why is why they keep ducking.

A small, flat footed fighter with a poor gas tank is actually tailor made for Benavidez to just tee off on. He won't need to waste time finding him. Clowns still think he hurts Benavidez when he couldn't even hurt a 154 pounder in his last fight or stop him. Charlo was buzzed for a second and took a knee but apart from that no problems over 12 rounds.
he broke BJS' orbital bone and skull. do not discount Canelo's power. if he can break BJS' orbital he can break Benavidez's rib.
GGG hits harder than Benavidez, full stop. there is no room for argument. look at GGG's KO ratio and who he did it to. Benavidez's stoppages are largely accumulations while GGG has laid people out with one punch.
Canelo has big fight experience which pays dividends. do not discount veteran experience. this will be the biggest fight Bennyboy has ever been in. pressure cooks.
Canelo has a smaller torso and a good guard so his body wont be open like Benavidez's is. and thats not David's fault, he's just a tall lanky guy so he has a big torso. not enough arms to cover it fully.
Charlo had problems all 12 rounds because Canelo wouldnt let him get started. countered almost every time Charlo threw something. the counters are what Benavidez will have to watch out for.
Benavidez will have a clear path to victory if he emulates some of what Bivol did. i think he has the size and reach to pull that off - but can he?
he will also have to be wary of Canelo trying to beat his guard up like he did to Callum Smith and tried to do to Bivol. if Canelo succeeds in injuring one of Benavidez's arms he could be in big trouble.

i dont expect Canelo to get old overnight just like i dont expect Benavidez to become a world beater overnight. this fight is now at the perfect point - Canelo slowing down a bit recently so we'll see if he's still got it, and Benavidez climbing up into relevance as he approaches his prime. its like a well-marinated piece of meat. now the fight's just gotta be made so we can all feast with our eyes.

I just want them to fight at this point. The division will soon belong to guys like Morrell and Pacheco anyway, so why not just get the ginger old man and the cokehead out of the way.

he broke BJS' orbital bone and skull. do not discount Canelo's power. if he can break BJS' orbital he can break Benavidez's rib.
GGG hits harder than Benavidez, full stop. there is no room for argument. look at GGG's KO ratio and who he did it to. Benavidez's stoppages are largely accumulations while GGG has laid people out with one punch.
Canelo has big fight experience which pays dividends. do not discount veteran experience. this will be the biggest fight Bennyboy has ever been in. pressure cooks.
Canelo has a smaller torso and a good guard so his body wont be open like Benavidez's is. and thats not David's fault, he's just a tall lanky guy so he has a big torso. not enough arms to cover it fully.
Charlo had problems all 12 rounds because Canelo wouldnt let him get started. countered almost every time Charlo threw something. the counters are what Benavidez will have to watch out for.
Benavidez will have a clear path to victory if he emulates some of what Bivol did. i think he has the size and reach to pull that off - but can he?
he will also have to be wary of Canelo trying to beat his guard up like he did to Callum Smith and tried to do to Bivol. if Canelo succeeds in injuring one of Benavidez's arms he could be in big trouble.

i dont expect Canelo to get old overnight just like i dont expect Benavidez to become a world beater overnight. this fight is now at the perfect point - Canelo slowing down a bit recently so we'll see if he's still got it, and Benavidez climbing up into relevance as he approaches his prime. its like a well-marinated piece of meat. now the fight's just gotta be made so we can all feast with our eyes.

You managed to fit in so much rubbish in that post. I guess GGG hits harder than Fury because he has a higher KO ratio? lol. They have comparable KO ratios anyway. The best fighter GGG ever stopped was Lemuiex. He was a small MW , David is a big SM, not complicated.

just like i dont expect Benavidez to become a world beater overnight
He has been a world beater since he became the youngest SM champ in history at 20. Casual.

Back