Cannonier, UFC main event fighter - "I'm broke"

To be fair. Being broke has more to do with personal finance management than it does paycheck. Woodley went broke broke he won a belt and bought 4 houses and 7 cars. By his own admission.
Royston Drenthe got paid $292,424.75 a month for 5 years and declared bankruptcy in 2020.

Meh

You could pay some guys 1 million dollars and they'd still be broke

Happens to NFL players all the time

Hell, Evander Kane in the NHL is broke too, and he's made about $56 million over his career
Yeah, and I'm sure Cannonier blew through millions on rare marbles or some shit. Sit down dawg

Cannonier had only fought twice in the last 2 years due to injury.

The guy has a family, of course after that kind of inactivity money is going to be very tight.

I don't know Cannoniers contract situation, but he should be on at least 100k to show/100k to win deal which is plenty fair. If he is being compensated less than that, given his spot in the rankings, that would be an occasion where a fighter is clearly being mistreated by the UFC.

Miesha Tate spending 200k for a camp and complaining she only walked away with her 50k bonus deserves mockery, just as Jon Jones does for demanding 8 figures after coming off 2 fights the public thought he lost.

Prolly has nine kids to support
Prolly has nine kids to support
2dtT.gif

If he was a native Hawaiian, would you be offended by that comment?
Nah braddah of course not i dont get offended about that kine stuff. We Hawaiians have so many stereo types about us. We also stereo type all kine of other people too. Its not done in a hurtful or mean kine of way just the way the culture is. We still show a lot of Aloha to everyone no matter who. I know we have choke keiki so you saying that kine of stuff dont bother me

Cannonier had only fought twice in the last 2 years due to injury.

The guy has a family, of course after that kind of inactivity money is going to be very tight.

I don't know Cannoniers contract situation, but he should be on at least 100k to show/100k to win deal which is plenty fair. If he is being compensated less than that, given his spot in the rankings, that would be an occasion where a fighter is clearly being mistreated by the UFC.

Miesha Tate spending 200k for a camp and complaining she only walked away with her 50k bonus deserves mockery, just as Jon Jones does for demanding 8 figures after coming off 2 fights the public thought he lost.
I can promise you he is not making 100K to show. Maybe around 50-60.

Meh. I wouldn't call it a "sad moment for the UFC". More of a sad moment for Jared Cannonier. Looking at his career earnings, he's made over $1mil in purses in his 6 year UFC career. It's not a massive amount for a high level athlete or anything, but it's still a reasonably decent amount of money. I don't know anything about his spending habits or anything else that's gone on in his life, but with some level of fiscal responsibility, you shouldn't be broke at that level of earnings. That's on Jared, not the UFC.

There's athletes in all sports living paycheck to paycheck, even the sports where they're paid exorbitant amounts of cash. If you spend everything you make, you're gonna be broke, no matter what amount you're making.

Back