Can't watch MMA with people who don't watch mma..

Ive definitley had it where people just make stupid jokes and have no idea wtf they are talking about.

About the only time I will actually watch a fight card with anyone else is if I basically don't have any bets on a card or if I just don't have too much interest in any of the fights.

Otherwise, leave me alone. I'm watching fights.

The only time I object is when one particular dude comes over and keeps asking "is he the gay one" and saying shit like "there's no way those dudes could be straight, he just wrapped his legs around his head" and shit like that... No point telling him anything.

Nah...no prob watching with noobs. Comments from "them" are almost always along the lines of "That's just brutal". (which is pretty accurate if not accustomed to viewing MMA)

Till this day, my wife still ask me, "Who's playing today?" "Who's Playing next after this game?" HAHAHAHA.

My friends hate MMA but they love football/soccer. Maybe I should introduce them to Nik Lentz..

It's fun explaining who the the fighters are, their claim to fame and how they win the style matchup, beyond that it's annoying answering nonstop questions during a good scrap

Anyone else feel the same?

So I watched UFC 195 with a friend and 2 of his friends I did not know. They have never seen MMA before.

Some of the dialogue:

Friend #1: "Wow, can't believe that guy only weighs 170"

Me: "He weighed that yesterday, probably close to 190 now" (I'm fine at this point)

Friend #2: "Dude, JJ Watt would have destroyed either of them (Andrei and Stipe)"

Me: (I take a big sip of beer) , "Yeah probably"

Friend #1: "what the hell are these guys doing. They are just hugging, stand up and fight"

But yeah.. Pretty much that the whole night lol.

Anyone else have trouble watching mma with noobs? ;)

How about instead of agreeing with them in a passive-aggressive and condescending manner you educate them on the sport?

I can't enjoy watching it if I gotta explain everything to some idiots who still say "well, grappling is still gay"

The most frustrating time I had watching MMA was UFC 100 when BW3 was filled with Brock fans celebrating his win over Mir. One of the better times was at a BW3 when Cain fought Brock. The frat boys at the table near us were stunned silent at the destruction.

Anyone else feel the same?

So I watched UFC 195 with a friend and 2 of his friends I did not know. They have never seen MMA before.

Some of the dialogue:

Friend #1: "Wow, can't believe that guy only weighs 170"

Me: "He weighed that yesterday, probably close to 190 now" (I'm fine at this point)

Friend #2: "Dude, JJ Watt would have destroyed either of them (Andrei and Stipe)"

Me: (I take a big sip of beer) , "Yeah probably"

Friend #1: "what the hell are these guys doing. They are just hugging, stand up and fight"

But yeah.. Pretty much that the whole night lol.

Anyone else have trouble watching mma with noobs? ;)

Just channel your inner Carl Sagan (the great science communicator), and enjoy your roll as educator

See it as your honored privilege as a high priest warlock to convert the noobs into the flock of the god of war.

I just point to the fact that Rogan is narrating wtf is happening for the most part, people usually leave me alone after that LOL!

hypocritical, smug boxing fans that claim MMA is too "barbaric" because they fight in a "cage" like pit bulls/animals drive my insane... I can't I just can't. Oh and those same people claim there is more skill and tactics in boxing.....holy fuck.

I'm used to the "guys laying on each other" and similar comments from first timers/women so I'm immune to them now.

My friends: "insenrt random generic joke about clinching/ground fighters being gay".

Every single time.

Even at bars its kinda annoying, you get that occasional guy who knows a little about MMA and won't shut the fuck up.

"HE'S NOW DOING A DOUBLE LEG TAKEDOWN, I THINK IF HE HOLDS THIS POSITION HE HAS THE ROUND"
That's my pet peeve. Last month, I was at this local bar and this noob commentated during fights. The guy just cannot shut up. The volume was on pretty loud and he proceeded to raise his voice as if everyone value his opinion. Funny thing is he often repeat after what Rogan says even when Rogan is wrong which shows that he doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. Fortunately for him, people ignored him. In the past, someone would usually snapped and tell loudmouths to shut up or leave before shit happens. If you have never watch at a bar, do not do it. You might have a regrettable experience. The only time I watched at bars is when my friends meet up there.

When I was in college, my school had an MMA club which I joined. The point was for us to train different techniques weekly and whenever there was a UFC event, we would gather and watch. The level of entitlement to MMA/UFC was nauseating to say the least. Most everyone literally thinks they know more than others. And when some did not get to force feed their commentaries during a particular event, they usually talk smack about the loud noob/s behind their back saying shit like "that guy doesn't even know shit so he should stop talking" even when they're all alike. Even a couch potato who was the laughing stock during sparring sessions thinks that he is more entitle to the UFC than any other members within the club. I'm glad I stopped going after 3 events since I cannot enjoy fights that way. It's like talking on the phone while working on a research project simultaneously which is impossible to do.

I absolutely despise noobs.

Back