Chael Sonnen reaches plea deal in criminal case for December 2021 hotel incident

There's only one misdemeanor he was found on, disturbance of the peace, which would normally carry a penalty that small. I mentioned before in the thread that police really don't like to get involved in fights if they don't have to (like unless an ambulance was needed or some repeated domestic violence related) cuz burden of proof is difficult and often tell people it's a civil matter, so that's probably why neither Chael nor the court want to do anything in criminal
That sounds reasonable... but if someone were really hurt, I'd think it would be much harder to reduce it all down like that. I think 3 of the guys were hotel security, so that could be excused if the hotel didn't press the issue I guess.

It comes off feeling like it wasn't that big of a deal. The Felony was a choke hold... & I can see how that could be explained to be a passive way to stop an aggressor. I was actually surprised that was a felony, I'd rather be put in a light choke hold than smashed in the face. I guess it's because untrained people choking you would be because they're trying to kill you.

That said, the couple that are said to had gotten beat up by him, unprovoked... still have a civil suit, which may be harder for them now that all the felony & the misdemeanors were reduced to a small fine.

It's kind of hard to say too much about it though without knowing what actually happened. You'd think a hotel like that would have cameraz in teh hallway & maybe they did & that's why it's all being swept under the rug. I dunno... there just doesn't seem to be enough to go on... but being dropped to a 3 figure fine tells me that it wasn't as bad as it might seem on the surface.

It is absolutely serious what he did. But Chael is a famous person with a good lawyer and connections to the Vegas scene. He went up in front of the judge, told a sob story about accidently taking too much Ambien and got a slap on the wrist. That shouldn't be surprising. Doesn't excuse what he did though.

I mean if people are suing gun manufacturers now for misuse of their product then surely we can start suing drug companies for shit like this?

Chael is famous and rich? You are confused sir.

10 million dollars is somehow not rich to you?

Of course he's famous. He was a popular mma fighter and is now a talking head on ESPN with over a million Youtube followers.

What makes you think they would look more highly on a professional cage fighter who has a prior money laundering conviction and presumably illegal PED use vs. a normal everyday person with no prior legal troubles of any kind?

Because he has money and a successful show, and he's affiliated with billionaires.

How about you sir?

Because he has money and a successful show, and he's affiliated with billionaires.

How about you sir?

Oversimplifying into 'rich/popular guy, will get off' is just lazy...and my initial post was noting that OTHER people around here thought Chael was in deep trouble (something I disagreed with).

I don't know why you decided to make this about how a regular person would fare by comparison...completely NOT the point.

I'm not scrolling through 5 pages of comments, I'll just simply say still undefeated and undisputed, never lost a round!

Jeez all these takes... No contest means you arent pleading guilty but you cant prove your innocence. Its called the Alford Plea

Think this is what ESPN dropped him over as well
Damn. I remember Chael was on tv like a decade ago, got blacklisted, then somehow recently had made it back to tv.

Now he’s gone again and likely won’t be back… sucks because he’s one of the most intellectual in the game…. Except when on ambien. Hell. He still smashed everybody I guess….

Oversimplifying into 'rich/popular guy, will get off' is just lazy...and my initial post was noting that OTHER people around here thought Chael was in deep trouble (something I disagreed with).

I don't know why you decided to make this about how a regular person would fare by comparison...completely NOT the point.

It's not an oversimplification to point out rich people have far better representation than poor people.
Unless of course you believe a public defender gives a damn whether you're in jail or not sir.

But you're right, there's no difference between being rich and poor.

It's not an oversimplification to point out rich people have far better representation than poor people.
Unless of course you believe a public defender gives a damn whether you're in jail or not sir.

But you're right, there's no difference between being rich and poor.

You are changing your argument. Of course quality representation makes a big difference...but that's not what you were saying before.

You said Chael "has money and a successful show, and he's affiliated with billionaires", implying that it is more than just hiring a good lawyer (which plenty of non-rich, non-famous, and non-connected people, like myself, could do).

licensed-image

Those court people saw the guns of West Linn Oregon and folded quick :p
It's really baffling how a pro fighter full on juice never got jacked or merely defined.

I laid out my criteria. There are a huge number of businessmen who'd love to accomplish even one thing that he did, let alone all of them in such a short time.
Fought his way to the top, then demanded more money, couldn't get more money, therefore gave up a sure thing (lots of money) to try to make more money somewhere else. Capitalism at its purest. More power to him. Giving up a bird in the hand is not always worth the two birds in the bush. So there may not be a huge number of businessmen who would take that risk.

No one hates Ngannou. What everyone is tired of is irrational sherdoggies screaming "capitalism is bad unless Ngannou does it, Ngannou left the UFC and instantly achieved guaranteed wealth" when in fact he hasn't achieved anything yet.
Go find verified PPV numbers published by any promotion. Go find verified purses paid by any promotion. Get the bank records and the tax returns that show the exact amount that a promotion paid to a fighter.
You can't because promoters and fighters don't publish this data.
So. Are the claims real, or are they hype? All we know about UFC is that the fighters get the advertised purse and very often they get more in undisclosed checks paid after the fight.

Anyway, how you gonna convince 500,000 people to pay $75 to watch the greatest HW on the planet dismantle an amateur?
Maybe you will buy it, but how many other people will buy it?

Pretty bad faith of you to choose a sport that Africa doesn't have any history with in your example. Why not use the example of "head of the Olympics' African Expansion"?
First of all, "Africa" is a pretty broad term, but, other than futbol or cricket, pick any sport you want if you don't like the hockey analogy.

Yes, you are.
No I'm not.

You have no reason to believe that PFL has less than a few million to its name. It sounds like you've taken that PFL capital thread and decided the most extreme predictions on it were the truth even though there is no reason to believe that/.
For each reason you have to think that PFL has millions, I have two reasons to think they don't. I didn't see the PFL capital thread. Link?

This is the game you play: posit the most negative things as probable options when they're is no evidence for them, only speculation.
It's okay to speculate. You're doing it.
Also, change the word "negative" to "reasonable", and your assertion will become accurate.

That's not what you're doing. You're asserting that the most extreme claims and the most hurtful to the PFL and Francis are true, even though you have no reason to think those rumours are true over any others: you want them to be true and stopped reasoning with evidence a long time ago.
Nah, I'm just posting opinions on a discussion board.
My opinions make you angry, so you try to make yourself feel better by declaring that you know what I want, etc.

Sticking to what we know and not speculating is not "accepting them as gospel". You just love changing the meaning of words to disguise your bullshit.
You first. What exactly do you "know"?
You don't know what I love.
My comments were opinions that you didn't like, so you refer to my opinions as bullshit because you can't actually refute them.

No, I'm pointing out that you're a liar perpetuating negative assumptions that are no more valid than the positive ones while pretending you're a reasonable, logical, honest interlocutor.
I'm not a liar, never have been.
I'm not perpetuating anything negative.
I am making counterpoints to observably unfounded speculation.
I'm pretty sure that fight promotions often inflate monetary claims and hand out nearly meaningless job titles as a way to try to attract attention and build viewership.

You called me reasonable, logical, and honest.
Thanks!

Fought his way to the top, then demanded more money, couldn't get more money, therefore gave up a sure thing (lots of money) to try to make more money somewhere else. Capitalism at its purest. More power to him. Giving up a bird in the hand is not always worth the two birds in the bush. So there may not be a huge number of businessmen who would take that risk.

No one hates Ngannou. What everyone is tired of is irrational sherdoggies screaming "capitalism is bad unless Ngannou does it, Ngannou left the UFC and instantly achieved guaranteed wealth" when in fact he hasn't achieved anything yet.
Go find verified PPV numbers published by any promotion. Go find verified purses paid by any promotion. Get the bank records and the tax returns that show the exact amount that a promotion paid to a fighter.
You can't because promoters and fighters don't publish this data.
So. Are the claims real, or are they hype? All we know about UFC is that the fighters get the advertised purse and very often they get more in undisclosed checks paid after the fight.

Anyway, how you gonna convince 500,000 people to pay $75 to watch the greatest HW on the planet dismantle an amateur?
Maybe you will buy it, but how many other people will buy it?

First of all, "Africa" is a pretty broad term, but, other than futbol or cricket, pick any sport you want if you don't like the hockey analogy.

No I'm not.

For each reason you have to think that PFL has millions, I have two reasons to think they don't. I didn't see the PFL capital thread. Link?

It's okay to speculate. You're doing it.
Also, change the word "negative" to "reasonable", and your assertion will become accurate.

Nah, I'm just posting opinions on a discussion board.
My opinions make you angry, so you try to make yourself feel better by declaring that you know what I want, etc.

You first. What exactly do you "know"?
You don't know what I love.
My comments were opinions that you didn't like, so you refer to my opinions as bullshit because you can't actually refute them.

I'm not a liar, never have been.
I'm not perpetuating anything negative.
I am making counterpoints to observably unfounded speculation.
I'm pretty sure that fight promotions often inflate monetary claims and hand out nearly meaningless job titles as a way to try to attract attention and build viewership.

You called me reasonable, logical, and honest.
Thanks!

This was a lot of babble. I am not doing what you're doing: you are speculating without evidence, making claims of truth (again, without evidence), and exclusively pushing narratives that Francis haters are pushing. You're basically operating from a troll worksheet and the next step is what you're doing now, trying to say we're both doing the same thing. We're not.

This was a lot of babble. I am not doing what you're doing: you are speculating without evidence, making claims of truth (again, without evidence), and exclusively pushing narratives that Francis haters are pushing. You're basically operating from a troll worksheet and the next step is what you're doing now, trying to say we're both doing the same thing. We're not.

Waah.

If you want to yield, just say, "I yield."

What are you, 14?

Cunt.

Back