Champion Turnover in 2024

Dana's Conscience

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Current champions and the likelihood of them still being champion in a year. For the sake of consistency, I'm going to assume everyone here fights exactly twice.

Alexandre Pantoja

Likely 2024 fights: Moreno/Albazi winner, Nicolau/Kape winner
Prediction: Damage could catch up to him fast, but I still like him in both of these fights. I think the FLW title is in a period of stability.
Verdict: Still champion in a year

Sean O'Malley

Likely 2024 fights: Marlon Vera, Merab/Cejudo winner
Prediction: Depends on Merab/Cejudo winner and if he fights more than twice. Vera is losable, but I still favor Sean. If Cejudo beats Merab, Sean will beat him. 35+ year olds are 0-11 in title fights below WW. If Merab wins, it's a tossup. Still think Sean could find a knockout.

Alexander Volkanovski

Likely 2024 fights: Ilia Topuria, tbd/Ilia Topuria rematch
Prediction: Volk is aging fast and starting to take damage in his fights. 35+ year olds at LW and below are 0-11 in title fights.
Verdict: Not champion in a year

Islam Makhachev

Likely 2024 fights: Charles Oliveira, Gaethje/Tsarukyan
Prediction: Islam's in his prime, and I favor him against every other LW. He only loses belt if he takes it off himself, which I don't think he does.

Leon Edwards

Likely 2024 fights: Belal Muhammad, Shavkat Rakhmonov
Prediction: Will beat Muhammad. Leon's a tough matchup for Belal, and 35+ year olds are 1-7 against guys under 35 in title fights at WW. A loss to Shavkat in that potential fight isn't a foregone conclusion, but I still favor Shavkat, and I wouldn't rule out Leon vacating and going up to MW either.

Sean Strickland

Most likely 2024 fights: Dricus du Plessis, Khamzat Chimaev
Prediction: Call me crazy, but I actually like Sean in both of these fights. Both opponents are bats out of hell, but Sean is defensively sound enough in both striking and grappling (I consider the Pereira fight an anomaly/bad matchup) that I don't think either will get him out of there early. I don't see either winning a 5 rounder against him after he survives the initial onslaught.

Alex Pereira

Most likely 2024 fights: Jamahal Hill, Magomed Ankalaev
Prediction: Alex will be vulnerable to a knockout loss vs. Hill, but even if he wins, I think Ankalaev (or possibly Rakic) simply outgrapple him.

Jon Jones

Most likely 2024 fights: Stipe Miocic, Tom Aspinall
Prediction: The reality is that the most likely outcome is that Jon will beat Stipe and then hang it up. I wouldn't completely rule out him fighting Aspinall and doing Jon Jones things en route to a victory after, but I can't say the combination of these two things coming together is the most likely circumstance.

Weili Zhang

Most likely 2024 fights: Yan Xiaonan, Tatiana Suarez
Prediction: Determing who Weili fights in 2023 is a bit up in the air, and I wouldn't completely rule out her fighting Tatiana and getting outgrappled, but the reality is that she's in her prime and a step above the rest of the division at this point.

Alexa Grasso

Most likely 2024 fights: Valentina Shevchenko, Erin Blanchfield/Manon Fiorot
Prediction: I don't see Alexa surviving two of the potential fights I listed.

W 115: I think Suarez becomes champ and may eventually become champ at 125
W 125: I think Blanchfield becomes champ or possibly Fiorot. Grasso is a dog, but I don't think she stays as champ.
125: Pantoja maintains the belt until Mokaev gets a shot, which I don't think will happen in 2024
135: Cejudo beats Merab and O'Malley to become champ
145: Volk defends against Topuria and Evloev (Evloev beats Allen)
155: Islam defends against Do Bronx and Gaethje (I'm thinking Gaethje sits out until he gets a shot)
170: Edwards defends against Muhammad late in 2024 (July or August) and doesn't fight a 2nd time in 2024.
185: Strickland defends against DDP and loses to Khamzat
205: Hill defeats Pereira and Ankalaev
HWT: Bones defeats Stipe and Aspinall

Don't count out my boy Volk. His still a beast.

I'd also disagree on the Sean strikland one. But happy to be wrong.

I could see Umar fighting for the belt by the end of 2024, and I would pick him to beat Sugar Shins assuming he remains the champ.

I think those are all some solid calls. I don't really heavily disagree with any of them. It will be interesting to look at this a year from now.

Strawweight: Weili
Women’s flyweight: Blanchfield
Women’s bantamweight: who cares

Flyweight: Pantoja defends against Albazi and Kape
Bantamweight: O’Malley defends against Vera and Merab (beats Cejudo)
Featherweight: Ilia beats Volk, wins in rematch
Lightweight: Islam beats Oliveira and Gaethje, vacates before Arman rematch
Welterweight: Shavkat takes the strap after Leon beats Belal
Middleweight: Strickland defends against Du Plessis, loses to Wolf
Light heavyweight: Alex loses to the snoozefest that is Ankalaev
Heavyweight: Aspinall defends interim against Jailton

Current champions and the likelihood of them still being champion in a year. For the sake of consistency, I'm going to assume everyone here fights exactly twice.

Alexandre Pantoja

Likely 2024 fights: Moreno/Albazi winner, Nicolau/Kape winner
Prediction: Damage could catch up to him fast, but I still like him in both of these fights. I think the FLW title is in a period of stability.

Sean O'Malley

Likely 2024 fights: Marlon Vera, Merab/Cejudo winner
Prediction: Depends on Merab/Cejudo winner and if he fights more than twice. Vera is losable, but I still favor Sean. If Cejudo beats Merab, Sean will beat him. 35+ year olds are 0-11 in title fights below WW. If Merab wins, it's a tossup. Still think Sean could find a knockout.

Alexander Volkanovski

Likely 2024 fights: Ilia Topuria, tbd/Ilia Topuria rematch
Prediction: Volk is aging fast and starting to take damage in his fights. 35+ year olds at LW and below are 0-11 in title fights.

Islam Makhachev

Likely 2024 fights: Charles Oliveira, Gaethje/Tsarukyan
Prediction: Islam's in his prime, and I favor him against every other LW. He only loses belt if he takes it off himself, which I don't think he does.

Leon Edwards

Likely 2024 fights: Belal Muhammad, Shavkat Rakhmonov
Prediction: Will beat Muhammad. Leon's a tough matchup for Belal, and 35+ year olds are 1-7 against guys under 35 in title fights at WW. A loss to Shavkat in that potential fight isn't a foregone conclusion, but I still favor Shavkat, and I wouldn't rule out Leon vacating and going up to MW either.

Sean Strickland

Most likely 2024 fights: Dricus du Plessis, Khamzat Chimaev
Prediction: Call me crazy, but I actually like Sean in both of these fights. Both opponents are bats out of hell, but Sean is defensively sound enough in both striking and grappling (I consider the Pereira fight an anomaly/bad matchup) that I don't think either will get him out of there early. I don't see either winning a 5 rounder against him after he survives the initial onslaught.

Alex Pereira

Most likely 2024 fights: Jamahal Hill, Magomed Ankalaev
Prediction: Alex will be vulnerable to a knockout loss vs. Hill, but even if he wins, I think Ankalaev (or possibly Rakic) simply outgrapple him.

Jon Jones

Most likely 2024 fights: Stipe Miocic, Tom Aspinall
Prediction: The reality is that the most likely outcome is that Jon will beat Stipe and then hang it up. I wouldn't completely rule out him fighting Aspinall and doing Jon Jones things en route to a victory after, but I can't say the combination of these two things coming together is the most likely circumstance.

Weili Zhang

Most likely 2024 fights: Yan Xiaonan, Tatiana Suarez
Prediction: Determing who Weili fights in 2023 is a bit up in the air, and I wouldn't completely rule out her fighting Tatiana and getting outgrappled, but the reality is that she's in her prime and a step above the rest of the division at this point.

Alexa Grasso

Most likely 2024 fights: Valentina Shevchenko, Erin Blanchfield/Manon Fiorot
Prediction: I don't see Alexa surviving two of the potential fights I listed.

Good thread, mate!

I’m going to follow your assumption everyone fights twice:

Flyweight

Alexandre Pantoja loses to Brandon Moreno

Brandon Moreno beats Alexandre Pantoja in the trilogy fight (predictable and boring booking)

(NOTE: if Albazi beats Moreno by lay and pray, he could potentially beat Pantoja, but I doubt it)

New Champ Count: 1-0

Bantamweight

Sean O’Malley defeats Marlon Vera

Sean O’Malley loses to Merab Dvalishvili

New Champ Count 2-0

Featherweight

Alexander Volkanovski beats Ilia Topuria (split)

Alexander Volkanovski loses to Ilia Topuria in the rematch

New Champ Count 3-0

Lightweight

Islam Makhachev df. Charles Oliveira

Islam Makhachev df. Justin Gaethje

New Champ Count 3-1

Welterweight

Leon Edwards df. Belal Muhammad

Leon Edwards df. Shavkat Rakhmonov

New Champ Count: 3-2

Middleweight

Sean Strickland df. Dricus du Plessis

Sean Strickland loses to Israel Adesanya (Khamzat can’t get his shit together lol)

New Champ Count: 4-2

Light Heavyweight

Alex Pereira df. Jamahal Hill

Alex Pereira loses to Magomed Ankalaev in a stinker

New Champ Count: 5-2

Heavyweight

Tom Aspinall df. Ciryl Gane

Tom Aspinall df. Curtis Blaydes

New Champ Count: 5-3

Women’s Strawweight

Weili Zhang loses to Alexa Grasso for Flyweight title

Weili Zhang df. Yan Xiaonan

New Champ Count: 5-4

Women’s Flyweight

Alexa Grasso df. Weili Zhang

Alexa Grasso df. Valentina Shevchenko

New Champ Count: 5-5

Good point / the divisions really are on the move.

I'd be SHOCKED if more than half of the male champs retain by the end of 2024. Islam is the only one I have decent confidence in pulling that off as of right now. I guess we'll see.

Strawweight: Weili
Women’s flyweight: Blanchfield
Women’s bantamweight: who cares

Flyweight: Pantoja defends against Albazi and Kape
Bantamweight: O’Malley defends against Vera and Merab (beats Cejudo)
Featherweight: Ilia beats Volk, wins in rematch
Lightweight: Islam beats Oliveira and Gaethje, vacates before Arman rematch
Welterweight: Shavkat takes the strap after Leon beats Belal
Middleweight: Strickland defends against Du Plessis, loses to Wolf
Light heavyweight: Alex loses to the snoozefest that is Ankalaev
Heavyweight: Aspinall defends interim against Jailton
So here's a good question... does Aspinall being the sole HW champ at the end of 2024 count as the title CHANGING or NOT CHANGING?

the 2 Alex P's Will retain their titles. the rest will lose them.

Weili keeps her title, grasso loses hers.

I plan to bump on Dec 31st 2024 with my predictions
meh-joker.gif

Agree with your list.

I think Leon can be champion in a year. Blahal whoremembershim and Shavkat are beatable.

Champs 1.1.2025

W115 Suarez
W125 Blanchfield
W135 ..meh
W145

125 Moreno
135 Merab
145 Volk
155 Islam
170 Shavkat
185 Dricus
205 Hill