Charles Olivera was robbed

I love Oliveira, but just no. You don’t win a fight by doing no damage getting controlled for three rounds and attempting two submissions.

Also, the judge who scored it in his favour is an idiot.
He had the most impactful moments of rounds 1 & 3, it's completely plausible to score it for him. I didn't, but it's not idiotic at all if you know the scoring criteria.

I love Oliveira, but just no. You don’t win a fight by doing no damage getting controlled for three rounds and attempting two submissions.

+1

I was rooting hard for Charles.
He was lucky to get the split and even that is questionable.

You can not give away top position at that level.

Would LOVE to see them go 5 rounds.

I respect that kill or be killed approach though.
I was entertained.

FYI
Scorecards

Screenshot_20240414_134812_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
He won 1 Tsaryukan won 2. Clearly game down to the 3rd. Whoever says it was a foregone conclusion are just being Homer's to either fighter. Amar wasn't dominant winning the 3rd but he was winning. With that said , terrible way to end a round on his part and that's gotta factor in.

Robbery in MMA fights is way overused. In a close competitive fight like last night, even if we assume Charles should've got the decision (& plenty of people think Arman won), that still doesn't make it a robbery. If you have like maybe 90%, then sure, I could see calling it a robbery. But based on the posts, at least 50% or more think Arman won, despite Charles being 1 of the most popular fighters (eg fan bias). So no, this absolutely was not a robbery

Round 1 was close but Olives did better
Round 2 and 3 were Armans.
Split is stupid. Should be UD for Tsarukyan.

But biggest outtake from that fight is that Charlie is past prime now - he didn't look like Charles from Gaethje/Poirier, etc. fights.

I wanted Charles to win but nope he clearly lost. Arman escaped all his dangerous submissions and positions including that tight body triangle. Nobody escapes that from Charles.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY FOR OLIVERA
You're very wrong, but are you talking only about the score? Or are you talking about any of the pauses or foul stuff or whatever?

It's dumb either way, i just wanna know what flavor of dumb

I was scared for a second because the first two judges was a split and the third judge's score being announced was Ron McCarthy and thought "ah shit, here comes 30-27 Charles." Thank god he got a score right for once

The judges did not care about near submission in the 3rd. Only cared about no damage top control.
I think it's because there was no near submission in the 3rd. There was a lock, and that  also did no damage, so it's convenient to change up your consideration for that

Do you win the fight by almost finishing your opponent in two rounds where not much else happened, though?
Or was it so super obvious that round 3 the choke presented zero danger? Even then what did Arman do in round 3!?
Oh, that one.

I thought this forum had people who watched MMA frequently, so I come out of this event pretty surprised at people fawning over that one

No roberry
He lost fair and square
Nearly finishing someone isn't enough, if you do little else

Wilder nearly finished Fury in his first fight, but nobody with more than a few brain cells thinks he won.

Also, No chance does Charles ever beat Islam. Arman if his gas tank holds up has a much better chance. However, I wouldn't favour him

FYI
Scorecards

screenshot_20240414_134812_chrome-jpg.1039787
Holy shit!

Famously terrible Adalaide Byrd and newest terrible judge on the block Ron McCarthy got it right? And the fact that the other judge is "I'll just give a random 10-8 to Grasso cuz I don't feel like scoring a winner" Mike Bell feels like this fight was intended to be scored wrong

Who the fuck assembled this super hero team?

Back