Charles Olivera was robbed

Do you win the fight by almost finishing your opponent in two rounds where not much else happened, though?
Or was it so super obvious that round 3 the choke presented zero danger? Even then what did Arman do in round 3!?
That's what I'm wondering, I watched it with 3 friends and 2 of them were shocked me and our other friend thought it could go either way. They were saying it was obvious for Arman (tbf those 2 friends are new fans/casuals)... One of them claimed Oliveira got the crap beaten out of him in rd 3 but I didn't see that... rd 2 yes but I don't remember and crazy gnp in rd 3. Also one of those 2 was trying to argue that Figgy won rd 1 against Garbrandt.. When I look up the scoring criteria it's like "ok... I still have no idea how to score a fight after reading this" but my main take away is that damage and potential fight ending moments are scored the highest. Idk how highly they score tight sub attempts vs a knockdown/near ko finish but nobody would disagree with Oliveira getting the nod if Oliveira knocked him down in rd 3 rather than having him in a sub so.... I think anybody that claims it's obvious who won the rd is a nut.

Not robbed at all. Although I wish we got 2 more rounds, he definitely had his moments.

Olivera’s willingness to stay in bottom position is a good way for him to lose fights on decision, especially against wrestlers.

The judges don’t train and don’t see any work Charles is doing from bottom because to them and the viewer Charles is just on the defensive in his guard and trying to survive.

Striking effectively- This means how many legal blows a fighter lands upon their opponent. Strikes that continue to the immediate end of the match, such as power shots and knockdowns, are worth more than those that deal cumulative damage.

Grappling effectively- This includes how successfully a fighter uses wrestling and grappling to attack their opponent, this includes takedowns. Takedowns should only be judged as successful if the fighter uses them to establish an attack. Fighters are not judged on whether they are on top or bottom when grappling, but instead how they use these positions in the attack.

Aggressiveness used effectively- This means how aggressively a fighter attempts to finish the fight. This and following criteria should only be used if the judges score the previously two completely equally.

Fighting area control- This means how successfully a fighter manages to dictate the pace of the match and their position within the octagon. This is an area that should rarely be assessed, as the previous criteria take precedence over this.

The last 2 only matter if the fight is even based on the first 2. Just being on top doesn't matter as stated in "grappling effectively". You need to use it to attack. Oliveira attacked with a tight submission attempt, Arman didn't get off any damaging shots or sub attempts in rd 3 from my memory. Arman did outland Oliveira tho so that's why it's tough. Arman only landed 6 strikes on the ground in rd 3 even tho he had well over 2 minutes of top control... Is that considered effectively attacking or doing just enough to not get stood back up? Idk... hard rd to judge, Arman landed more but Oliveira had the biggest moment of the rd by far.

He put no effort in that sub. Was super irritating. Instead of sticking your tongue out playing games he should have been squeezing as if his life depended on it... It he just held him there
Perhaps he was exhausted, he spent a good portion of rounds 2 and 3 under Arman. He only got the submission opportunity because Arman slipped off his back.

Not a robbery for sure, but ending a game as a corpse for so long, his arrogant stupid speech and his lack of self control with the beating of a fan makes him look so bad. Good for him he does not care:

Not a robbery for sure, but ending a game as a corpse for so long, his arrogant stupid speech and his lack of self control with the beating of a fan makes him look so bad. Good for him he does not care:

For that alone he should be fired. A trained fighter actually attacking a fan is never acceptable, I dont care what the fan said before that. We are not apes, we are humans.

He wasn't robbed but it was close and he would've won rd 3 for sure if knees to a "grounded opponent" were allowed.

Pretty sick of grapplers sitting on there knees like a cheap whore on path to victory. Gotta change that stupid ass rule. Haven't Colorado & maybe Cali adopted knees?

Colorado has and Cali is trying to at the moment sir.

A good analysis by weasle.

Agree 100%. It comes down to how threatening the Darce attempt in the third was. Was it close to finishing? Would Arman have gotten out if the round lasted longer? Then Oliveira won the round. Was it rather harmless? Then Arman won the round.

But in general it's insane to me how nobody cares about submission attempts. If you almost finish your opponent by KO, that's a 10-8 round. Now with a close submission there is not the damage component, but there is the "almost finished" opponent, so it needs to result in a clear 10-9 as well, no!?

Btw Oliveira also had him in a submission at the end of round 2. But I didn't value that high because Arman decided to risk it in the last seconds knowing he couldn't be submitted that quickly. All things to consider IMO.

Olivera’s willingness to stay in bottom position is a good way for him to lose fights on decision, especially against wrestlers.

The judges don’t train and don’t see any work Charles is doing from bottom because to them and the viewer Charles is just on the defensive in his guard and trying to survive.

If you scored it for Oliveira, it was not for any bottom work, it was for the submission attempts. He actually didn't manage to do much off the bottom against Arman.

Nah i dont think he was robbed looking back on it. Though Charles did come closer to finishing. Arman did good with the elbow ground n pound in round 2.

Arman didnt really show me anything that makes me think he could beat Islam though. They both looked pretty meh on the feet. I think Islam will beat him pretty handedly on the feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back