Rewatch Chris Leben vs. Wanderlei Silva

Was also cool to see Tito get the sub over Ryan Bader probably the last good win of his career

I like both guys, but thought Wanderli would win, I was shocked how quick it ended.

Back then people never liked Leben, I never really got it though because I always found his fights to be violent and entertaining and he always let go and went for it, and Leben had zero fear.. even if he was totally outmatched he didn't care, he always tried to throw hard.

Fighting all opened up like that... Sorry guys but... this thing has evolved... And that's a good thing. You get this for a main event, you go back home telling yourself a bar fight would've done it.

Wand was a shell of his former self.

That combo he landed was so much slower than before.

Lebel was not old either btw.

Pre Crocop head kick Silva vs Leben would've been sick!

MMAth is so interesting. Leben>Wanderlei>Stann>Leben

Something was wrong with Leben in that Stann fight. Go back and watch his walkout. He looked like death warmed over. I think the guy had the flu or food poisoning or some shit. He looked AWFUL and I don't mean like in bad shape or anything like that, I mean he looked like he was sick as a dog.

For me it was his dribbling Nog's head like b-ball.

Also, Nog tko-ing Mir on the feet against the cage, and then grappling and getting his shoulder exploded. I legit struggle to watch that one ;)
I always like to say that the fight should have been called when Mir was out, but I can't really argue with the result

As soon as Wand clinched up, I knew he was screwed. I really wanted Wand to win and couldn't believe he tried to clinch with him.

Another devasting loss for me was when Yves Edwards got ko'd by Sam Stout. My friend was happy it happened. Why do you ask? Because he was a Cody McKenzie fan and was buttburt that Yves beat him

Something was wrong with Leben in that Stann fight. Go back and watch his walkout. He looked like death warmed over. I think the guy had the flu or food poisoning or some shit. He looked AWFUL and I don't mean like in bad shape or anything like that, I mean he looked like he was sick as a dog.

Eh, i don't know. According to the Pride fanboys here, Fedor/Big Nog/Cro-Cop all exited their primes between 31-33. And Wand was coming off a win against future MW champ Bisping and went 2-1 in his next 3 fights, finishing the same Brian Stann who finished Leben before this fight.
To add to this Leben was on hardcore drugs and ended up losing his next 4 (Lost 5 out of 6 with Wandy being his only win). Wandy actually had better success funny enough post Leben fight than Leben did.

Pride died here. Leben was addicted to drugs during that time and I don't think he ever won a fight after this one.
Leben ended up losing 4 straight and had been TKO'd by Stann right before this fight (so lost 5 out of his last 6). Wandy ended up getting finishes over Lee and Stann after this bout, he still had some left in the tank.

I like both guys, but thought Wanderli would win, I was shocked how quick it ended.

Back then people never liked Leben, I never really got it though because I always found his fights to be violent and entertaining and he always let go and went for it, and Leben had zero fear.. even if he was totally outmatched he didn't care, he always tried to throw hard.
Most of the oldheads that hated Leben started hating him because he ruined some parlay where they thought "the sloppy brawler is getting KO'd"
I remember watching my friend screaming, clutching his head as Leben slapped the triangle on Sexyama in a fight Sexy was winning as his $2000 parlay went up in smoke with 20 seconds left, he didn't even bet on Carwin vs Lesnar as it was a pick em fight in his opinion.

As soon as Wand clinched up, I knew he was screwed. I really wanted Wand to win and couldn't believe he tried to clinch with him.

Another devasting loss for me was when Yves Edwards got ko'd by Sam Stout. My friend was happy it happened. Why do you ask? Because he was a Cody McKenzie fan and was buttburt that Yves beat him

Both devastating. And let's not forget the humiliation and shattered expectations of Shogun vs Griffin, and CC vs Gonzaga.

P.s. lol yeah, you hype Yves and his accolades to your "noob" friends, and then Sam Stout puts him away. Ouch.

Leben KO-ing Wand was awesome! Nothing against the Axe Murderer, but the Pridetards around here were insufferable at that time. They made it sound like the UFC was some sort of regional promotion whenever it was compared to the almighty Pride.

The cunt in me would love it when the Pride crossovers would lose. I'm not a fan of fighters I'm a fan of fighting, so it doesn't really matter to me.

The truth was that both leagues had great fighters and the rule-set and cage/ring had a lot to with it. Fighters like Fedor, Cro-Cop, Shogun, and Wand fought better in a ring. Fighters can cut angles differently in a squared circle. Plus they were allowed to juice in Pride. That being said the merger took place pre-USADA, so who knows what was going on there.

I liked Wanderlei even though I wouldn't consider him one of "my guys" but watching him go out that easily definitely showed he wasn't what he used to be.

Most of the oldheads that hated Leben started hating him because he ruined some parlay where they thought "the sloppy brawler is getting KO'd"
I remember watching my friend screaming, clutching his head as Leben slapped the triangle on Sexyama in a fight Sexy was winning as his $2000 parlay went up in smoke with 20 seconds left, he didn't even bet on Carwin vs Lesnar as it was a pick em fight in his opinion.

I was at a bar for that fight and the whole place went fucking bananas when he locked in that triangle.

Back