Media Chris Weidman compares Alex Pereira to Ben Askren: ‘It’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far’

The world champion at 185lbs was Izzy, who tried and successfully took him down. Izzy just also sucks at grappling so he couldn't win the fight that way.

Then Jan took him down and attempted to win on the mat - anyone with brains will agree Jan is a very competent MMA grappler. He didn't quite get it done though, but nearly.

Jiri of course attempted to out wrestle Poatan, couldn't get anywhere with it and abandoned it. By this point Alex is showing pretty solid counter wrestling.

If prime Jones and DC were still in the 205lbs division, he would have to figure that out. They aren't, and he's fighting the best the division has to offer and they are unable to out grapple him to a win.
If the Ankalaev matchup gets made that may be the one that really exposes Poatan's grappling. Ankalaev's mainly a striker but he's easily the best grappler at LHW and is more than competent on the mat.

Spot on by the Chris.. He's basically kick boxing with guys who have 1/8 of his kick boxing experience in 4 oz gloves..

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.

If Michael Venom Paige was given the Poatan experience I'd give him a great shot at being the WW champion.
He's been taken down. Guys couldn't get much meaningful offense off on him. Jan was trying to hold on for dear life after shooting a whole 0:06 into the fight lol
Poatan haters are still of the belief that if he gets taken down, he's just going to get subbed/pounded out immediately. It's not like the guy basically lives with Glover and has been rolling with him daily for years.

Jan had 4:50 control time in the first round and got a total of 6 significant strikes off. Blah blah blah he gassed later is the excuse, but his offensive output in round 1 when he had the entire round to work with with Poatan on his back, he got exactly nothing done. image_2024-04-24_180704501.png

Last edited:
Its obvious he had favorable matchmaking. but i dont care cuz I enjoy seeing these strikers do their thing.
weidman would beat him btw

Spot on by the Chris.. He's basically kick boxing with guys who have 1/8 of his kick boxing experience in 4 oz gloves..

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.

If Michael Venom Paige was given the Poatan experience I'd give him a great shot at being the WW champion.

There's not really any good wrestlers at 205. Welterweight is different, it's a shark tank with Belal, Usman, Shavkat, Colby, Burns, Brady.

He's obviously right.

I've been on the Poatan bandwagon since before it was trendy. But facts are facts: he's had 8 UFC fights, 4 of which were title fights, and the best wrestler he's fought was a 40-year-old kickboxer (Jan). He's been matched VERY deliberately.

No ones wrestled because he’s constantly ready to spring into a flying knee

And the Chris knows a thing or two about eating those

source.gif

Poatan would knee his head into his body like a turtle
That knee turned teh Chris into full retard.

The sound he made eating that shot was DISTURBING. Instant brain damage.

he's right. this is why i'm not that impressed by Pereira. he's never had to adjust his style. Pereira is basically fighting Glory kickboxing matches in the UFC and he's not like Mirko who FORCED grapplers to strike with him with his TDD and his vastly different striking style he adjusted for MMA. not to mention he got to handpick Jan who is old, and then fought 2 guys IN A ROW who were coming off major injuries.

No ones wrestled because he’s constantly ready to spring into a flying knee

And the Chris knows a thing or two about eating those

source.gif

Poatan would knee his head into his body like a turtle

i don't ever remember "being ready to spring for a flying knee" being taught as a reliable defense to grappling.

Match making helped Pereira for sure.
That being said, you dont have many grapplers at 185 or 205, at least less than in the WW and LW divisions.
He did OK against Blacko who is well rounded but the fight was close.
At the beginning, the guy was only there to make an easy run and fight adesanya.
But he destroyed the narrative when he broke izzy s face.
He has also good wins at lhw and he improved his grappling skills.
He showed good cardio and in a 5 rds fight, the probability to avoid all his hooks are slim.
To me, he still has to prove things but he definitely exceeded all expectations we could have when he first came in.

The world champion at 185lbs was Izzy, who tried and successfully took him down. Izzy just also sucks at grappling so he couldn't win the fight that way.

Then Jan took him down and attempted to win on the mat - anyone with brains will agree Jan is a very competent MMA grappler. He didn't quite get it done though, but nearly.

Jiri of course attempted to out wrestle Poatan, couldn't get anywhere with it and abandoned it. By this point Alex is showing pretty solid counter wrestling.

If prime Jones and DC were still in the 205lbs division, he would have to figure that out. They aren't, and he's fighting the best the division has to offer and they are unable to out grapple him to a win.

1st of all he got a title shot by beating 3 strikers.. He got fast tracked to a title shot because Izzy cleaned out the division lol. I bet you were also one of those that cried about Izzy avoiding wrestlers/grapplers as he was coming up..

Looks like your cool with Alex not having his TDD tested. That's cool but to then claim Alex is this GOAT whe you're not holding up to standards of other elite strikers is laughable

Back