Media Chris Weidman compares Alex Pereira to Ben Askren: ‘It’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far’

Delusional Weidman strikes again, the guy is a glorified CAN and run his mouth about a legend like Pereira, Weidman really needs to STFU after that terrible cheating performance vs Silva

Link: https://www.mmamania.com/2024/4/24/...uch-a-deficiency-in-what-weve-seen-so-far-ufc

“It’s hard for me to get fully behind Pereira, because I do see such an opening with the wrestling, and he hasn’t really fought wrestlers who will take advantage of that,” Weidman said on Believe You Me. “It’s hard to deal with, but it’s so crazy and it’s such a deficiency in what we’ve seen so far.

“It’s almost like Ben Askren coming into the UFC and being able to just become a multiple-time champion with no hands,” he continued. “It’s like a striker looking at Ben Askren and thinking, ‘How the hell is this guy the world champion?’ He was able to do it in Bellator, he was able to do it in ONE FC. The guy had an unbelievable MMA career and had no striking at all. It looked awful but he was so good at wrestling he was able to do it.

Its funny cause Weidman is the legend and Pereira is the can.

For the past year, I've been asserting that Pereira is a product of circumstances. When he faces a strong wrestler, even not an excellent fighter, just someone like Nikita Krylov, he'll be exposed big time. 40 years old jan post injury is the best grappler he faced and fight was close. He just needs to face a physically strong guy with relatively good grappling, and he'll be toasted
Thanks, I was trying to remember who was pushing the idea that Nikita Krylov was Alex's kyptonite a week or so ago.
<Grimes01>

Prime chael’s double legs were relentless, he had great chain wrestling. He says it on his podcast often, the first takedown attempt is just to get you in, the 3rd move is what will put him down. Jan’s wrestling is levels below chael’s. Decades of muscle memory…. Alex won’t be able to stuff Chael’s takedowns just like chael wont be able to KO him with a left hook.
That is true, he is great wrestler, he does not stop.

But you overlooked one most important thing, that is strength, Chael is weak for LHW and HW, even on TRT. Look how old Fedor threw him around, or Jones, even Shogun reversed him with plain strength only, Rashad took him down at will and held him like a child.

Blahovic is much stronger than Chael, that is why he took Alex down, but got tired using all that power... Strength matters a lot. I still think Chael would have very hard time taking Alex down, would get stuffed easily. He would not be able to take Adesanya down easily too, but Blahovic would (because of power, weight)

He's right: Perreira has never faced someone who's equipped to expose a wrestling weakness. The UFC really employs favourable matchmaking for certain fighters so it's just one more aspect of how the UFC isn't trustworthy as a sporting organization. I'm finding it hard to be enthused for anyone in the UFC unless I can trust they've actually been challenged without the UFC's thumb on the scale.

Who are these fighters then who can expose such a weakness? He's fighting a wrestler next.

Who are these fighters then who can expose such a weakness? He's fighting a wrestler next.
Why would you ask a question and then answer it? And do you expect me to be satisfied with the competition he's fought before he has fought them?

What a baffling post. Did you just wake up?

Im saying if they give MVP just strikers en route to a title shot and just completely protect him from wrestlers/grapplers to showcase his skills there would be a lot of complaints from shertards.

MVP is kind of similar in a sense. They've both put their grappling points into staying safe. They're not going to become D1 level wrestlers, but if they do get taken down then the main thing for them is to stay safe and either work back up or survive until the next round and get a chance to clock the opponent again.

Neither of them take much damage or feel in danger of being subbed much.

I say let Weidman and Pereira bang. This is the make or break fight for Weidman and if he loses. He just starts working back towards the top again. The Chris can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity! Or remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop!... ever... until you are dead!

Who the fuck cares about wrestling credentials and shit. Not everyone has to be a boring cookie cutter collegiate wrestler that we've seen countless times, it's nice to have other styles for once. Alex has been taken down and proved he could recover back to his feet while taking minimal damage and defending submission attempts. Ben Askren can't survive 1 minute on the feet against any competent striker.

Chris is speaking from a place of jealousy.

The facts are that Chris’ title defenses were against old men that recently deflated from USADA. Once Chris had to fight an elite guy his own age, he got pummeled.

Chris is speaking from a place of jealousy.

The facts are that Chris’ title defenses were against old men that recently deflated from USADA. Once Chris had to fight an elite guy his own age, he got pummeled.
One of the luckiest titlte run in history, the fact he defended that belt 3 times is nothing but a miracle.

The second he started to fight legit fighters on their prime he went 1-5.

The worst thing is not only he is delusional but also the fact he always show very little class despite his actions and cocky words, it's hard to sympathize with somebody like him.

It's weird how all of a sudden everyone is cool with a striker of his caliber not having to test his TDD before everyone crowning him the GOAT.
Since when does "everyone" think Pereira is the GOAT?

Back