Chuck Liddell thinks Mike Tyson "only has a puncher's chance" against him

well chuck was a division 1 wrestler - if he decides to use his wrestling tyson would basically have a punchers chance to catch him on the way in

unless tyson himself has some wrestling training
People forget that grabbing objects (ie. a cage) to maintain your balance would help against wrestlers. Tyson is also willing to go to a much darker place and would literally bite the crap out of Liddell in close quarters.

Tbh Liddell's probably right. A boxer isn't a great matchup for Chuck who had a tendancy to drop his hands but a boxer with no other skills probably gets dominated.
Assuming Tyson doesn't have any other skills would be incorrect. Street fighting in a shit-hole neighbourhood provides a great deal of knowledge and tricks.

Actually, it is sped up.

Chuck looked like shit in the last Tito fight, no one is disputing that, but do we know how Tyson is looking like in the ring these days?
Prime Chuck would most likely not have much trouble taking out a out of prime/competition Tyson; don't look down on kicks... now, an Iron Mike in his prime, that's a different story.
Well for starters Chuck looked like crap hitting the pads, though he never looked great in his prime. This is what Tyson looked at 49:

When it comes to in-ring performances, he looked like this after he retired after over 50 pro fights:
TDLR; Tyson is much better and always has been. The talent isn't even comparable.

A bit off topic, but does Tyson still train casually? Just for the fitness aspect of it. Is there any recent footage? Or any other of the older guys, that are out of competition, of course, but still do it casually to keep in shape. Always fun for me to see some training vids, if there are any.
He doesn't train anymore and he's able to look like this at 49 years old:

I don't think he would wrestle. I really don't.. I think he believes his kickboxing would get it done. But even if he wrestled Tyson would be biting ears, trying to kick groins whatever it takes.. Tyson was the king of street fights by age 13..
People seem to think wrestling is the same weapon on the street as it is in the cage. Of course it's effective, but what happens when you're allowed to grab something to keep your balance and use your other hand to strike the back of the head? What about shoving your fingers into the wrestler's eyes while he's clinching your legs? There's a bunch of factors that have to be taken into consideration in a real street fight.

Mike Tyson is a man that breaks down and cries because he can't be that destroyer anymore

Mike Tyson is a man that breaks down and cries because he can't be that destroyer anymore
It takes a real man to realize that your best days are long gone. Competitively Liddell still can't let it go and ended up getting embarrassed by Tito of all people.

Bum fights. I mean no disrespect to these legends but let's get real any top 100 would smoke these old men. I hate watching these old cast away past prime fighters fight. At least Tyson had the sense to sell his life story after being washed up. ChucK needs to do accounting or something. (I think that's what his degree is in)

I've stated several times in this thread that I was not speaking for how current Chuck would do bc he looked like he had trouble even moving in his last outing.

You see a guy that relied on his chin & speed to counter, but you fail or refuse to acknowledge that he relied on his chin & counter punching against other MMA fighters & usually ones who wanted specifically to fight on the floor.

I'm acting like prime Chuck was a former D1 wrestler who had more than enough sense to wrestle Pele. Chuck knew to wrestle an elite MMA striker like Pele, but he wouldn't know to wrestle Mike fucking Tyson because you saw him bang it out with a bunch of MMA fighters. absolutely ridiculous
I've stated several times in this thread that I was not speaking for how current Chuck would do bc he looked like he had trouble even moving in his last outing.

You see a guy that relied on his chin & speed to counter, but you fail or refuse to acknowledge that he relied on his chin & counter punching against other MMA fighters & usually ones who wanted specifically to fight on the floor.

I'm acting like prime Chuck was a former D1 wrestler who had more than enough sense to wrestle Pele. Chuck knew to wrestle an elite MMA striker like Pele, but he wouldn't know to wrestle Mike fucking Tyson because you saw him bang it out with a bunch of MMA fighters. absolutely ridiculous

So Chuck's second pro MMA fight in 1998, was Prime Chuck was it.......... Is that all you have to prove that Chuck was some multi dimensional talent.

MMA is littered with so called multi talented fighters that just stand and bang because of their lack of fight IQ, it was a winning recipe for many years till his chin and speed dropped and by the time the competition caught up he was too battered to mix it up any more.

So if we are talking about Prime Vs Prime, prime Ego Chuck tries to test his legendary chin against Prime Mike's fist, so can get a counter punch off..........good luck Chuck.

Maybe young panic wrestling Chuck has a better chance?

Proven? Where? So far, it's 1-1.

The only boxers who go into MMA are either completely washed up (like Mercer and Toney) or were never any good to begin with (such as Butterbean) and even then they have had some mixed success.

You always see the comment on here that MMA fighters beat boxers 99% of the time in a street fight, yet old or no good boxers don't lose anywhere near 99% of the time to MMA fighters in MMA fights.

So Chuck's second pro MMA fight in 1998, was Prime Chuck was it.......... Is that all you have to prove that Chuck was some multi dimensional talent.

MMA is littered with so called multi talented fighters that just stand and bang because of their lack of fight IQ, it was a winning recipe for many years till his chin and speed dropped and by the time the competition caught up he was too battered to mix it up any more.

So if we are talking about Prime Vs Prime, prime Ego Chuck tries to test his legendary chin against Prime Mike's fist, so can get a counter punch off..........good luck Chuck.

Maybe young panic wrestling Chuck has a better chance?
"Prime" can be subjective. Do I think a 28-29 year old Liddell was in his physical prime when it comes to ability to take a shot, react, & move around quickly etc? Yes, I do & you'd have a hard time making an argument against that.

I don't have to make the case that Chuck was some extremely versatile fighter who always mixed things up in MMA bc I'm not saying that's what he was. & you do not need to be one by professional MMA standards in order to beat a boxer who hasn't the faintest idea of how to defend a take down or defend themselves from grappling.

Why would Chuck try to test his chin against Mike if he wasn't dumb enough to test it against Pele?

He would not, & that is literally what he is saying in this quote. You guys keep saying "yeaaaah, but Chuck would stand with Tyson & he'd die! lol!"

except the man is literally telling you that Tyson would have to land a KO shot on him "catch me coming in" <- grappling.

The guy is telling you in the OP that he would wrestle him & you're all going on for pages & pages insisting that he would stand & bang & get KOed bc you saw him prefer to stand & bang against MMA fighters that knew how to grapple.

Last edited:
What about shoving your fingers into the wrestler's eyes while he's clinching your legs? There's a bunch of factors that have to be taken into consideration in a real street fight.
Bas answers:

Escalate things to biting, eye gouging etc in a life or death situation against someone who knows how to grapple & you don't. good luck with that. They're going to bite or eye gouge you back, only in a much more dominant position. never fuck with someone who has dominant position on you. the majority of the time an eye gouge or bite is not going to save you vs a grappler in a life or death scenario. It's only going to piss them off & open the flood gates for you to be mutilated in return, but from an inferior position

Last edited:
"Prime" can be subjective. Do I think a 28-29 year old Liddell was in his physical prime when it comes to ability to take a shot, react, & move around quickly etc? Yes, I do & you'd have a hard time making an argument against that.

I don't have to make the case that Chuck was some extremely versatile fighter who always mixed things up in MMA bc I'm not saying that's what he was. & you do not need to be one by professional MMA standards in order to beat a boxer who hasn't the faintest idea of how to defend a take down or defend themselves from grappling.

Why would Chuck try to test his chin against Mike if he wasn't dumb enough to test it against Pele?

He would not, & that is literally what he is saying in this quote. You guys keep saying "yeaaaah, but Chuck would stand with Tyson & he'd die! lol!"

except the man is literally telling you that Tyson would have to land a KO shot on him "catch me coming in" <- grappling.

The guy is telling you in the OP that he would wrestle him & you're all going on for pages & pages insisting that he would stand & bang & get KOed bc you saw him prefer to stand & bang against MMA fighters that knew how to grapple.

The fight game is more to do with mental maturity, Chuck at 28-29 was not that guy yet, Vitor and Reem, not dangerous strikers then, wrestling was his game plan in them fights was it?

I cannot count how many times a fighter has said what they would do, to do the exact opposite.......... Chuck would be Chuck, time has shown that, not his second fight against Pele.

The evidence counts against you and all you have is 1 fight and the word of a guy with very bad CTE......

The fight game is more to do with mental maturity, Chuck at 28-29 was not that guy yet, Vitor and Reem, not dangerous strikers then, wrestling was his game plan in them fights was it?

I cannot count how many times a fighter has said what they would do, to do the exact opposite.......... Chuck would be Chuck, time has shown that, not his second fight against Pele.

The evidence counts against you and all you have is 1 fight and the word of a guy with very bad CTE......
Again with the "he stood up with MMA fighters" argument. There are multiple variables going into fights against other well rounded martial artists that would not exist against a boxer with no ability to stop a take down.

You are basing your "evidence" off of fights against other MMA fighters with professional level anti wrestling. Other fighters may be striking based MMA fighters but they more than knew how to defend a takedown. Chuck could have gassed himself trying to use that gameplan against MMA strikers with good anti wrestling. So his best route to beating those guys & most other high level guys would be to out chin those guys back then & land that power shot.

MMA is an extremely diverse combat sport & you adapt your style according to how your entire skill set matches up against your opponent

so you pointing to him standing with MMA fighters that he probably would have at least had a tough time & had to expend a lot of energy to take down as "that was just his style bro. obviously would stand with Tyson" is dumb

Last edited:
Again with the "he stood up with MMA fighters" argument. There are multiple variables going into fights against other well rounded martial artists that would not exist against a boxer with no ability to stop a take down.

You are basing your "evidence" off of fights against other MMA fighters with professional level anti wrestling. Other fighters may be striking based MMA fighters but they more than knew how to defend a takedown. Chuck could have gassed himself trying to use that gameplan against MMA strikers with good anti wrestling. So his best route to beating those guys would be to out chin those guys back then & land that power shot.

MMA is an extremely diverse & you adapt your style according to how your entire skill set matches up against your opponent

so you pointing to him standing with MMA fighters that he probably would have at least had a tough time & had to expend a lot of energy to take down as "that was just his style bro. obviously would stand with Tyson" is dumb

Avoiding Vitor and Reem fights...........not dangerous enough stand up then.........<45>

Don't know if you realise this but Chuck wasn't a very smart guy, sorry to burst your bubble............

I mean literally, I guess. He probably isn't winning by head kick or anything.

Prime mike tyson would eat him alive in a street fight quite literally, tyson had no problem eating holyfields ear in a professional fight, in a street fight prime primal ferocious tyson would be eating flesh and gouging eyes out even after he knocked you out cold. If it wasn't for cus d'amato, iron mike would be dead or in prison for murder. Dude was wild and crazy as fuck.

Back