Chuck Liddell vs LHW division of 2020

Hirashin

This is not a profession
Banned
Reaction score
How would prime Chuck do at LHW today?

hqdefault.jpg

I actually feel his skillset would stack up rather well even today. He was never a guy that you could just take down and hold down and his power wouldn't fail to finish anyone I imagine. I don't think he'd be champ, per se, but I feel he'd have a good run. Keep in mind that he'd have the chance to modernize any MMA innovations that have taken place over the past several years -- his team is pretty good at keeping up with the evolution of the sport while keeping their TMA unorthodox base -- just my 2 cents, but who knows, really?

Gets starched by more inteligent fighters, as much as mma fans like to jerk off to the idea of the old ufc or pride fighters being the best, mma is a very young sport and athletes are getting much better with time. Not to mention you cant do anything these days without having the ability to stuff a takedown or throw effective strikes at the top of the ufc.

Prime Chuck with his granite chin? Pretty damn well I think.

Gets starched by more inteligent fighters, as much as mma fans like to jerk off to the idea of the old ufc or pride fighters being the best, mma is a very young sport and athletes are getting much better with time. Not to mention you cant do anything these days without having the ability to stuff a takedown or throw effective strikes at the top of the ufc.

Chuck also competed during the era when LHW was at it's strongest, when it was the marquee division in MMA. LHW is one of the weaker divisions today.

Top 10 for sure, even today. LHW is still 95% standup division, and as such, Chuck would still do well.

I actually feel his skillset would stack up rather well even today. He was never a guy that you could just take down and hold down and his power wouldn't fail to finish anyone I imagine. I don't think he'd be champ, per se, but I feel he'd have a good run. Keep in mind that he'd have the chance to modernize any MMA innovations that have taken place over the past several years -- his team is pretty good at keeping up with the evolution of the sport while keeping their TMA unorthodox base -- just my 2 cents, but who knows, really?

Except for when Rampage held him down and pounded on him in Pride

Chuck also competed during the era when LHW was at it's strongest, when it was the marquee division in MMA. LHW is one of the weaker divisions today.
Anyone in the top 5 of the current LHW division destroys prime chuck

He was fast, powerful, granite chin, good TDD, fearless, pretty good recipe in my book.

Beats the grapplers like Corey Anderson but struggles against guys like Reyes, Volkan, Rakic.

He could beat Anthony Smith and Corey Anderson

But Chuck could stuff a takedown and he did throw effective strikes

not even 18 months ago LHW had 2 of the top 3 or 4 P4P fighters in the world in it.

Anyone in the top 5 of the current LHW division destroys prime chuck
You're crazy. He'd absolutely wreck Corey Anderson, Jan and Smith. Reyes is almost a better version of Chuck so he's losing that one. Santos is a tossup.

Any version of Jones takes him out.

Except for when Rampage held him down and pounded on him in Pride
Yeah for sure -- that was such a beatdown. The elbows to the gut during the ground and pound were brutal; somewhat of a technique I haven't seen since that fight much actually.

Back