Rumored Ciryl Gane turned down an interim Heavyweight championship fight against Tom Aspinall on UFC Manchester

In what way? People view it as merely proof that you're the #1 contender, but it's supposed to be a title that's won and defended while the real champion is unable to compete.
Everybody bitching about interim titles being defended instead of just being golden tickets to title fights should go look at boxing where the concept came from.

Interim titles are defended all the time. Zhang just defended his interim HW title 2x in the last 6 months and now Parker who won it off him a month ago is going to have to defend it back against him in a rematch.

If he retired tomorrow to pursue an acting career. I’d be fine with it. It’s obvious that he doesn’t actually like doing this. And doesn’t take the training seriously. If he did he would have spent the entire time between fighting Ngannou, and Jones improving his tdd/wrestling. But it was obvious he didn’t work on it at all.

If he can’t take the sport seriously. I can’t take him seriously.

I remember on the Jones/Gane card when they cut to backstage shots, Ciryl and his team were playing cards and laughing their asses off. <lol>

Even without other obligations, Gane wouldn't agree to fight Aspinall. I thought this was established

Why fight when you can just sit out until you get a free title shot lol seemed to work for Colby, Gane, etc.
uh.... no, not even the same as colby

interim is a championship belt, you get paid champ money, this is not just a top fighter bout, you get a belt, you get paid like a champ, the number one objective goal of a fighter is money, everything else is secondary.

Back