News Tom Aspinall says he will NOT give Ciryl Gane a shot at his interim heavyweight title next

Do you agree with Tom Aspinall?

• Total voters
The fuck?

Aspinall calls out Jones because he's the interim champ and Jones is the undisputed champ. Unifying the belts is the fight the promotion is supposed to make 100% of the time in such a scenario.

Gane just straight up refused to fight Aspinall when he called him out.

There is absolutely no similarities in the two situations whatsoever.

How am I not supposed to show love to facts like this sir.?

HW is thin. So it's either the winner of the next fight or Gane.

At least 4 or 5 already fought and won/lost OR set to fight in the future, so he's not on a position to demand contenders.

Fine. They can do it without the belt. We don't need to ruin champions like Aspinall and real contenders like Pavlovich to promote an exhibition match of retired fighters.
Ruin? okay pal.

I bet Gane regrets all that big talk now.

Well if the UFC want that fight made it will happen, and it's the fight to make of course. Don't know if it's the highest standard HW fight we'd have seen overall but probably the two best HW athletes in the same cage.

Champions "giving" shots is such an absurd concept.

Imagine a football team deciding who they play for the championship or an olympic athlete picking his opponents.

Good. He was already fast tracked to a title shot as is and he's had three opportunities for a title in less than 3 years.

Lmao the entire idea of "defending" an interim title is pathetic in the first place - strip Jones of the belt, and if he's really better than the winner of Aspinall vs his next opponent, he'll get the belt back when he fights them

Good. He was already fast tracked to a title shot as is and he's had three opportunities for a title in less than 3 years.
fast tracked ? he cleaned almost the whole category in a very dominant way...

and he had two title shots, not three. Unless you count the interim belt but if that's the case, he won that fight against lewis.

i would understand if the two champs against whom he lost were available for a fight: let aspinall or another one have a shot at them. but ngannou isn't there anymore and jones doesn't want to fight anyone else except miocic.

Aspinall VS Gane is clearly the fight to make. right now, i don't see another opponent that would make more sense than gane for aspinall....

If aspinall want to wait a year for Jones or for a true title fight, and if the UFC let him do that, well, make Gane fight against pavlovich in march. Or against Almeida.

I bet Gane regrets all that big talk now.
it doesn't change anything. If gane would have said OK for a fight against aspinall, pavlovich-aspinall would still have happened after jones injury and we would be exactly at the same point.

He's being stubborn because Gane ducked him when he wasn't champ, however he would be smart to take it since Gane is an easy defence for him.

I'm interested in it if Gane has finally dedicated his absurd athletic talent towards defensive wrestling. I have the feeling that he could become very competent very quickly. If not...I dont think the fight goes very long. I do think he's the one guy who could frustrate the hell out of Aspinall on the feet and even win a decision... on his feet

It's going to be either Gane, Almeida, or Jones. Maybe Stipe if he beats Jones or if Jones just retires. They'll all fight each other. No reason they won't.

It's going to be either Gane, Almeida, or Jones. Maybe Stipe if he beats Jones or if Jones just retires. They'll all fight each other. No reason they won't.
fo aspinall ?

there's no way almeida should fight aspinall before gane. he's ranked 7th, has not beaten many good fighters in this category and is just coming from a very boring win.

it's a shame gane shat the bed against jones. he has allowed jones to block the category now. and this interim belt could also freeze the top of the category even more because aspinall could now be inclined to wait a long time to be sure that his next fight is for the title and not to risk a loss against another fighter before.

Last edited:
I'm interested in it if Gane has finally dedicated his absurd athletic talent towards defensive wrestling. I have the feeling that he could become very competent very quickly. If not...I dont think the fight goes very long. I do think he's the one guy who could frustrate the hell out of Aspinall on the feet and even win a decision... on his feet
well, i can get that, but it's like the fight against spivac didn't happen.

spivac was supposed to be THE test to see if gane TDD has improved. and spivac wasn't even able to put an hand on him.

Gane won't probably ever have a great ground game, but many great fighters, even champs, didn't have either.

but this fight against jones, he just wasn't the same: not moving on his feet like he usually does, throwing an ill advised jab, giving his back...... even on his feet, it was not him this night. We should'nt judge him only on this bad fight. he has destroyed almost the entire category outside of this fight.

he's not a submission artist neither he's a KO guy. but the way he makes opponents want to quit is something rare to see. we're talking about bmf here, tough guys, and they all finish the same way against gane, turning their back and going into turtle position. that's not something usual in this sport at this level.

Jailton is really the only guy who makes sense right now for a title shot.

fo aspinall ?

there's no way almeida should fight aspinall before gane. he's ranked 7th, has not beaten many good fighters in this category and is just coming from a very boring win.

it's a shame gane shat the bed against jones. he has allowed jones to block the category now. and this interim belt could also freeze the top of the category even more because aspinall could now be inclined to wait a long time to be sure that his next fight is for the title and not to risk a loss against another fighter before.
Almeida is unbeaten, barely touched in any fight.
Gane has had 2 title shots and lost both.
Stipe hasn't won a fight since DC like 3 years ago.
Pavlovich just got KO'd
Blaydes has lost 4x in UFC and finished every time.

Pick your poison. First off fuck rankings when people only fight 1-2x a year, it doesn't matter. The only one besides Jones that looks good for a title shot is Almeida. You can basically say no one deserves shit and shelf the division until someone gets 3 in a row or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back