Ciryl Gane vs. Francis Ngannou - Is this one of the biggest HW fights ever?

Is this one of the biggest HW fights ever?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Like is it in the all-time top 5 biggest HW fights in MMA history? Probably even in the top 5 most anticipated HW fights as well.

I think it would be in the top 5 at least.

Probably the biggest fight since Dos Santos and Velasquez fought.

https://www.tapology.com/rankings/all-time-top-ten-best-heavyweight-mma-fights-265-pounds

Francis-Ngannou-vs.-Ciryl-Gane.jpg

Man, It's gotta be up there. I'm stoked to watch this fight. Gane via absolute domination.

Less hype than Cain vs JDS
we never saw Cain or JDS lose or even look close to losing

Francis has been beaten twice.

So he was beaten by Stipe who he avenged his loss to. And that other loss was like back in 2013. Which is irrelevant now. The Derrick Lewis loss was much ado about nothing. So Francis is 16-3. That's very good record to be honest.

I think it's in Top 5.

1. Fedor vs Crocop
2. Cain vs JDS
3. Stipe vs Cormier

I can see it being top 5.

Yeah. If it's top 5, it's managed to just barely slide into the top spot. I think it's more like top 8

Like it or not, Brock is responsible for some very very hyped HW fights. Remtach vs Mir and vs Cain were very big title fights.

Coture/Arlovski/Big Tim had some hyped matchups as well. They didn't age quite as well

I don't know about about financially or casual appeal, but from a fighting point of view it's top 3 imo, top 5 at worst.

Last edited:
Im not really all that hyped for it to be honest. Should be a good scrap, but I thought Miocic Vs Cormier was far bigger. Perhaps I'm an idiot.

I can’t think of another one that’s been bigger.

And that’s primarily based on the fact that either one of these two guys would absolutely maul any previous heavyweight in the discussion: Stipe, JDS, DC, Fedor, Crocop, Cain, BB, Bork, etc…

This is a level of heavyweight talent never before seen in any previous pairing, UFC or elsewhere in MMA.

Last edited:
As of right now (3:22pm EST), it's sitting at 83.3% feeling it's somewhere between "big fight" and "not one of the biggest"... which is pretty accurate.

That means 1 outta 6 so far think it's the biggest shit ever, or nothing at all. Those are the dummies.
The remaining 5 outta 6 are rational. I'm surprised there's such a normal response given Sherdog's track record of stupid hot-takes.

Back