Clean and Jerk with dumbbells

Ultra O’Dia

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey, Sherbros. You members of the big motherfucker section. I have been working out with just dumbbells (and rocks), hardly touched a bar, for years now. Im really loving the independent suspension, the lack of bar whip supporting my jerk, and the smaller space required when using dumbbells.
Anyways, its hard to find much online. Everyone seems to just clean and jerk a single dumbbell and post a vid. So I came to the mecca of weightlifting - this subforum!
I am wondering if any of you do these, and also do clean and jerk or pushpress with an oly bar?
Id like to see some numbers posted from you guys, as it is a different animal doing them with dumbbells, and im curious to know what the big lads out there can lift. Ideally, id like to know what the best lifters in the world could get, and i want to see if its a consistent fraction between dumbbell and barbell.
Ill start by posting my measly numbers - 185 with a bar, two 75s with the bells for 150. (Im a wee fucker, more of a runner)
Thanks

I’ve muscle-cleaned and push-pressed 90lbs hex dumbbells for 5 reps. My heaviest push press with a barbell is 315lbs. I like them but haven’t trained the movements much since starting a more powerlifting style program.

I’ve muscle-cleaned and push-pressed 90lbs hex dumbbells for 5 reps. My heaviest push press with a barbell is 315lbs. I like them but haven’t trained the movements much since starting a more powerlifting style program.
nice.
so, likely you could get 110s, or thereabouts, i would bet.

brooks kubik's old stuff would be for you. he also got a book about dumbbell training.
i once did 50 reps in 20 minutes of 2 x 25kg dumbbell power clean and pp.
50 reps in 20 minutes of pc and pp with a 50kg sandbag.
edt is great for stuff like that.

I've never been a fan of dumbbells for oly lifts.

My program has called for me to do dumbbell cleans, push presses and jerks and I'm liking it a lot, it's nice to see the numbers jumping up so quickly because I'm training in new movements.

The programs football, lineman focused and I can see the application in blocks using the one side, which are to be frank pretty common.

Good bump. Love/hate DB cleans.
They are exhausting but in the best way, you can feel everything working together. Had them in a Tabata routine, liked them so much had to get some more reps in and put them in the mix of lifts.

Back