Television Cobra Kai Season 5 Releases Tomorrow (Get Hyped)

I don't see why they put Mike Barnes in this season at all. He felt shoehorned in. His storyline didn't make much sense and he didn't do much.

Apparently he was supposed to have a much bigger role but Sean Kanan had a serious should injury which prevented him from doing more action stuff. Not sure if this is accurate or not but that's what i've read

Its amazing that they just finished the fifth season of a karate show and most of the actors have just decided they dont need to know karate

The fight scenes with the kids are hilariously cheesey.

Johnny keeps me coming back, great character

100% agree with that. From a logical POV series should end right there. Defeating/exposing Silver , making his students turn on him , stopping the Cobra Kai expansion and Daniel finally getting the upper hand on him in a fight is like the ultimate Karate Kid universe climax. There is no need to push things further as this is the ideal happy ending.

That said we already know that there is a strong possibility of a S6 so my guess is that the plot will focus around that world tournament that i forgot the name of. Because aside from that i don't see anything. With the season villain being some new guy linked to that tournament. It's aslo possible that Silver returns in some way as with his money and lawyers he may find a way to corrupt a judge or something and get out of jail. But that would be a bit lame if you ask me. The Silver arc should be over and Kreese should have a redemption arc and not be the villain imho
I agree that if they do have a S6 it will revolve around the world tournament. Possibly Silver running Cobra Kai behind the scenes while in prison with that female sensei leading the way with her own students. I feel like having Kreese breaking out of prison while assaulting the guards will give less options to use him instead of letting him out because he was framed. They could bring back Hilary Swank (if she agrees). For example they use the Miyagi Do name for the tournament and she ends up finding Daniel and crew. That could help bring back Col Dugan and Ned from The Next Karate Kid having their own team and being part of the tournament as well. Somehow though they need to flip the switch and make the Cobra Kai name the winner out of this before the final finale. Somehow Johnny taking the name back. They could probably make it happen in Season 6.

I don't see why they put Mike Barnes in this season at all. He felt shoehorned in. His storyline didn't make much sense and he didn't do much.
He was just about my favorite part of the season, in no small part due to Sean Kanan's performance.

I think it is sort of a complex question.

My high school wrestling coach who had a fairly laidback approach blew me off when he saw me at a high school meet post-high school, whereas a drill-instructor, tough-love, grumpy old-man coach from a rival school who ran freestyle practices I attended went out of his way to talk to me when he bumped into me in a grocery store and clearly cared about how I was doing and talked to me like I was basically his grandson. I can think of a soccer coach who was sort of similar; really pushed discipline, was super-intense, but in the end, really cared, whereas other coaches that weren't as passionate or as scary seemed to ultimately not give a crap about the players, at least not in the same way.

My main problem with the hardcore coaches is that they can sometimes turn kids into drones and paradoxically drive out their own passion for whatever they're doing instead of letting them find it inside of them (if its there to be found). They can also potentially be so intense as to make kids nervous and on edge during competition so that they lock up.

Anyway, that's all sort of off-topic, I guess. But I think the hardcore coach who yells at people isn't always a bad guy. I think the key to whether he is the bad sort of hardcore coach or the good kind is often revealed in how he views effort versus results. Usually the good kind is going to be happy with kids that manage to dig deep and bring out their best whereas the bad kind just wants winners. You saw this with Kreese, of course, at the beginning of Karate Kid 2 and also in Cobra Kai, where he mercilessly expelled people he saw as failures from his dojo.

Not that this is necessarily contradicting what you're saying. I do think there is a sort of context to it all though. For instance, the hardcore wrestling coach I'm thinking of coached an inner city school and he needed a certain approach to give his wrestlers structure because they came from a world without structure. Sometimes he had to sort of be an authoritarian figure for certain kids, you know, like the Grid Iron Gang coach in that old documentary.

I mean, I think if Kreese wasn't so psycho and pro-cheating, he could possibly be a great fit for someone like Sean if Sean ever gets out of juvenile detention.

I agree with the bold part but we have to have the talk about being an abusive prick vs tough love and this comes down to ego. I will get in to this but first lets talk about cobra kai being abusive or not.

Cobra Kai context:

Aside from Tory, we did not see Tyrone and other Kim Sun Yung trained senseis be overly abusive. Remember, the series takes place in the modern times. I am sure if Terry did train kids like they used to during Master Kim era, they would all quite on the first day. Not to mentioned lawsuits...

So in a way, all of Master Kims disciples are teaching todays generation a more pussified version of the old school training that was taught 80 years ago. They have to otherwise they would go out of business. We saw Terry owned cobra kai training, the fact is, Kyler has the ability to stop mid-way and tell Kenny:

Hey yo bro, Sloowwwww down man, your making us look bad!

This implies that Terry has ordered the Korean trained senseis to hold back on the disciplining. I have never seen a real life dojo in which one member stops another mid-drill to tell them to slow down. Usually in real life, they get called out for it or are told to not speak.

Tory did get abused and it was straight up criminal, no question about that.

Regarding abuse vs tough love:

Abusive teachers tend to do so from a place of ego. They psychologically enjoy beating someone down. For me, it comes down to psychology of that teacher. If they enjoy yelling and screaming because its cathartic for them and makes them feel good. Then yes, they are an abusive piece of shit because they are using their social status as a therapy session and you literally end up paying for it.

That and an abusive teacher tends to be a prick outside of training and uses that status to further pull some alpha male bullshit. To that end, I agree with you 100 percent.

At the Korean Dojang I train at, my teacher sometimes yells and tells me to move it and it can sound abusive but after training, we go back to being friendly. That hostile style of training has NEVER ended up affecting how we interact. Every 3-4 sessions, we end up hanging out at the Dojang and have like 3 hours of conversation about life. He is a decade younger and we talk about our generation difference, politics and life in general from dating to favorite shows as well as him taking an interest in boxing and I tell him the different between boxing and Taekwondo/Tang Soo Do footwork.

That being said, I am a private student of a Korean Dojang. They demand perfection and in doing so, they will push you in a way that is not culturally compatible within the western world. This method has few particular flaws which one of them is what @Kforcer mentioned in top post. Burning out and passion fizzling out and creativity going to shit. While a more relaxed training allows creativity to flourish while a brutal training gives urgency and cardio.

But going back to abuse vs tough training. I can say that psychologically speaking, my teacher has ZERO ill will and we both know how to turn it off and have hours of friendly conversation. Last thing and most important thing that separates a tough teacher vs abusive teacher is...

Openness in communication, a tough teacher is open to discuss their tough training and happily share ( with a smile as you mentioned) about what they experienced and what is the driving factor their method. That and if you are injured or extremely beat up, they are ok with you requesting an easy mode ( I have asked this before ) like having a light day or just a technique day because the rapport has been established.

Abusive teacher does not let you talk, not open to any modification, yells and screams like a maniac if their method is challenged and is dismissive as well as temperamental and demands loyalty while not reciprocating.

Also I fully read @Kforcer post about his wrestling experience. I have had boxing coaches who super nice and laid back people but never had any interest to push me to my limits. They were friendly but there was a lack of interest in my improvement and seeing me reach my full potential.

P.S: We DO NOT use Mother Love in modern times! Legit you would sued to the living dept!

I think we're all on the same page but it's summed up by a quote from one of the coaches on the old The Ultimate Fighter (I think was Greg Jackson), "A fighter's job is to be selfish. A coach’s job is to be selfless." That's the long and the short of it. If a coach is yelling or whatever, the context is completely different if it's coming from a place of concern and empathy for the athlete vs. projecting some personal issues or otherwise making it about him (the coach) instead of the athlete.

Everyone is different - some folks are introverted and socially awkward despite good intentions. I can relate to the HS wrestling coach example because mine was a good dude outside of practice. The team used to joke that he was a pretty boy surfer (he was) and he was always super friendly with everyone off the mats and even invited the team to his house once for a BBQ. But on the mats he pushed us hard. Him and the assistant coaches always yelling to go harder and there'd be kids running to the bucket in the corner to throw up. That was the way HS wrestling practices worked in the early 90's. If you wanted to be there, you showed up and you did it. Kids that really want it tend to push themselves harder than any coach or parent can anyway. And this coach didn't yell outside of practice and never pressured kids to cut absurd amounts of weight - if a spot went unfilled, it went unfilled. And if he was cornering your match, it didn't matter if you were the shittiest kid on the team or his star Varsity starter - he'd encourage you just the same during the match. In other words, he made it about the athletes and just wanted everyone to be their best.

A bad example is my HS track coach. Under him, our team was CA state track champions like 8 times in 20 years. If you were one of his star sprinters, he'd kiss your ass and give you special treatment. If you weren't an important athlete, he didn't even know your name and ignored you on and off the field. Basically he was a gigantic asshole to anyone who wasn't going to help him win another state championship. Garbage human being and terrible coach who made it about himself.

If you've earned the loyalty and rapport with your athletes like the first coach, you can push them without being abusive. One of the best examples of this is the end of KK3 when Miyagi yells at Daniel to stop being a bitch, stand up and finish the fight win or lose. I still get goosebumps when I see that exchange:

Last edited:
I think they all train pretty hard for the show, for what it is worth.

Some of them sure, but most of them cant throw a punch or even move like they arn't in an actual dance. Larusso's daughter looks and moves like she's never broke a sweat before. Danny is hilarious too.

Fun show

I think we're all on the same page but it's summed up by a quote from one of the coaches on the old The Ultimate Fighter (I think was Greg Jackson), "A fighter's job is to be selfish. A coaches job is to be selfless." That's the long and the short of it. If a coach is yelling or whatever, the context is completely different if it's coming from a place of concern and empathy for the athlete vs. projecting some personal issues or otherwise making it about him (the coach) instead of the athlete.

Everyone is different - some folks may be introverted and socially awkward despite good intentions. I can relate to the HS wrestling coach example because mine was a good dude outside of practice. The team used to joke that he was a pretty boy surfer (he was) and he was always super friendly with everyone on the team off the mats and even invited the team to his house once for a BBQ. But on the mats he pushed us hard. Him and the assistant coaches always yelling to go harder and there'd be kids running to the bucket in the corner to throw up. That was the way HS wrestling practices worked in the early 90's. If you wanted to be there, you showed up and you did it. Kids that really want it tend to push themselves harder than any coach or parent can anyway. And this coach never yelled outside of practice and he never pressured kids to cut absurd amounts of weight - if a spot went unfilled, it went unfilled. And if he was cornering your match, it didn't matter if you were the shittiest kid on the team or his star Varsity starter - he'd encourage you just the same during the match. In other words, he made it about the athletes and just wanted everyone to be their best.

A bad example is my HS track coach. Under him, our team was CA state track champions like 8 times in 20 years. If you were one of his star sprinters, he'd kiss your ass and give you special treatment. If you weren't an important athlete, he didn't even know your name and ignored you on and off the field. Basically he was a gigantic asshole to anyone who wasn't going to help him win another state championship. Garbage human being and terrible coach who made it about himself.

If you've earned the loyalty and rapport with your athletes like the first coach, you can push them without being abusive. One of the best examples of this is the end of KK3 when Miyagi yells at Daniel to stop being a bitch, stand up and finish the fight win or lose. I still get goosebumps when I see that exchange:

Yeah, I agree with everything in your post, 100%.

It is interesting; your track coach is literally the opposite of my elementary school soccer coach, Coach Calvert. He was always yelling at us, but his favorites were the guys who were untalented but worked hard and meanwhile, there was a group of talented but lazy star players--including his son--that he was always annoyed with because of their cocky antics and occasional lack of work ethic. Similarly, the local wrestling coach I was thinking of, gruff and intimidating though he was, always invested himself in the matches of his wrestlers. I didn't even wrestle for him, but I remember him coaching me in my final high school match, just because he cared. Actually, my all-time high school wrestling hero wrestled for him; he was a guy who never won a varsity spot but trained his butt off and came out like a monster for every match. And in spite of being a 4-year JV wrestler, the old man was completely behind him.

Miyagi is a great example; he does yell, to cut Daniel off. And he gives him an intense speech and asks a lot of him. But the fact is that he's doing it FOR Daniel, not for himself. He's doing it because he knows how important it is that Daniel "never lose to fear." That scene is probably my favorite scene in all of the Karate Kid movies. Heck, as much as I love Cobra Kai, it might be my favorite Karate Kid-related scene period.

I definitely loved seeing Johnny team-up with the other hardcore guys, that was awesome. But this is the second time that Daniel got the honors of beating the main bad guy and so in that sense, I'd have liked it to have gone to Johnny if it had to go to one of them. And I also feel like, though there wasn't prior history, Silver's beatdown sent Johnny's life into a downward spiral. He left him a drunken mess and it was basically because of the beating he gave him that Johnny had the whole faux pas with Miguel.

It is funny, the way you describe Silver versus Larusso reminds me of how the John Walker-Steve Rogers showdown in Captain America 350 went down; a frostbitten, near dead Walker dragged himself out of the hospital and went through a gauntlet of the Red Skull's top enforcers before finally fighting a fresh Steve Rogers, whom he was convinced was Red Skull (due to a cloned body). It also, honestly, isn't so different form Daniel's dramatic defeat of Kreese at the end of season 3. Old man Kreese had gone through a rugged battle with Johnny and had absolutely no time to rest before Daniel burst on the scene and went at him.

It is a funny thing in fiction when the heroes capitalize on the antagonist's fatigue instead of vice versa and are essentially given all the storyline glory for their win, which would've probably been portrayed as cheap had the shoe been on the other foot.

You raise a good point - Daniel beats Kreese right after Johnny does this to him:

And he gets the W over Silver after Chozen does the same. I can't help but think this was done on purpose. CK is told from Johnny's perspective and to him, Daniel comes off entitled and annoying. In his own mind, Johnny is the underdog and has to do more to get any credit. Like when he points to all the bodies on the floor and tells Barnes, "I did most of this!" Then Barnes with, "Yeah you did." LMAO

Some of them sure, but most of them cant throw a punch or even move like they arn't in an actual dance. Larusso's daughter looks and moves like she's never broke a sweat before. Danny is hilarious too.

Fun show
From what I've seen from related videos, they are all pretty committed to improving their abilities for the show. Some are going to go further than others, of course.

You raise a good point - Daniel beats Kreese right after Johnny does this to him:

And he gets the W over Silver after Chozen does the same. I can't help but think this was done on purpose. CK is told from Johnny's perspective and to him, Daniel comes off entitled and annoying. In his own mind, Johnny is the underdog and has to do more to get any credit. Like when he points to all the bodies on the floor and tells Barnes, "I did most of this!" Then Barnes with, "Yeah you did." LMAO

You know, I think you're probably right. It's just like, the way fate works out, Daniel is always going to end up as the knight in shining armor, no matter how many rounds Johnny or others may have gone with the dragon. Or at least, that's how it seems to Johnny...and maybe Barnes and Chozen to some extent as well.

Fun show

Maybe Hillary Swank will drop in for the final season so they can book an actor who's actually thrown a punch.

Ralph Maccio is so wooden, I can't take him in action scenes.

I just thought it was an awesome performance; his fight scenes were great, his character was convincing, interesting, sympathetic and funny and he left me wanting more.

I haven't been able to watch it...but I looked up some highlights. Is there more than him in the background and the shadows while Johnny and Terry are sparring? Anyway, if that's all there is it's still pretty good...he seemed formidable and mysterious.

All I've seen is a few scenes out of context but what I saw seemed pretty good.

That was it. I was shocked because I assumed Master Kim to have a karate gi and maybe an army pants and be the same dude on the cobra kai wall. But he looks like a an ancient Kung Fu Wizard that likes to meditate and gather energy. Straight out of Mortal Kombat and looked like an older version of Ogata Isshinsai which is the guy in my avatar who is a martial arts power house.

He had a bigger role but he was demanding 50 percent and so they had to minimize his screen time. Also the shoulder injury.

Its amazing that they just finished the fifth season of a karate show and most of the actors have just decided they dont need to know karate

The fight scenes with the kids are hilariously cheesey.

Johnny keeps me coming back, great character

Actors of Robby andd Hawk are really good martial artist.

I think we're all on the same page but it's summed up by a quote from one of the coaches on the old The Ultimate Fighter (I think was Greg Jackson), "A fighter's job is to be selfish. A coaches job is to be selfless." That's the long and the short of it. If a coach is yelling or whatever, the context is completely different if it's coming from a place of concern and empathy for the athlete vs. projecting some personal issues or otherwise making it about him (the coach) instead of the athlete.

Everyone is different - some folks may be introverted and socially awkward despite good intentions. I can relate to the HS wrestling coach example because mine was a good dude outside of practice. The team used to joke that he was a pretty boy surfer (he was) and he was always super friendly with everyone on the team off the mats and even invited the team to his house once for a BBQ. But on the mats he pushed us hard. Him and the assistant coaches always yelling to go harder and there'd be kids running to the bucket in the corner to throw up. That was the way HS wrestling practices worked in the early 90's. If you wanted to be there, you showed up and you did it. Kids that really want it tend to push themselves harder than any coach or parent can anyway. And this coach didn't yell outside of practice and never pressured kids to cut absurd amounts of weight - if a spot went unfilled, it went unfilled. And if he was cornering your match, it didn't matter if you were the shittiest kid on the team or his star Varsity starter - he'd encourage you just the same during the match. In other words, he made it about the athletes and just wanted everyone to be their best.

See this is why you are a great poster.

Many posters would start swearing and resort to personal attacks but you broke it down and used your personal experience with your understanding of human nature that you are exposed to share your experience.

Your surfer coach is the best coach and this is how training should be. Guy in my avatar has the same ideas with training and looks at martial arts in spirit of evolution as oppose to winners and losers. When his guys lose, he plays the role of a private detective to find out the cause and doesn`t get mad at his students taking an L. Other evil characters may murder their disciples.

But I personally believe that being or having a mix of scientific and adventurous attitude with training is the best. Science allows evolution of skillset and being adventurous allows creativity and fun to take place. More to life than being some hardened up martial artist. The joy has to be retained in training.

When you mentioned your Track coach, for some odd reason, I would imagine this is the type of training Mike Barnes grew up in. Karate as he mentioned was the only he knew until he met his father in law. It got me wondering if a young Mike was trying to impress an asshole karate sensei and in doing so, he received favoritism which gave him his ego and superior attitude perhaps?

Last thing to mention is in regards to Tang Soo Do and harsh Korean training is something I forgot to add. Even though there was tons of flaws with their training. Master Ko who was one of the early pioneers of Tang Soo Do had a saying:

A black belt is a white belt that never gave up!

That and they also believed that taking head trauma was a very bad idea. But aside from that, I believe all that harsh abusive training may possibly stemmed from PTSD due to the time in which Tang Soo Do was created, it was an extremely violent era in Korea. Training may have been over the top but props to them because in Tang Soo Do, it was very important to make sure the head doesn`t take damage.

Going back to cobra kai, I noticed that Master Kim is not this hard ass teacher like Kreese. I mean he keeps an eye on you and circles around to watch your form from all angles. But from what we have seen, he is way better than Kreese who would grab someone and throw them on the ground.

Also Jesus man, that thumbnail!

It looks like Mike got shot in the gut with a handgun!

The guy who plays Terry Silver is a legit martial artist and you can tell.

Yeah his kicks still look great at his age. Meanwhile they have to bust out all the old camera and editing tricks they used for Pat Morita to have Ralph Macchio hold his own in any fight.

I think those two are in their 30s?

Who? The main leads are mid 20. The Asian girl is probably early 20 something. The girl Miguel was with at the party was 18. <Moves>

Meh it is what it is. Problem with them is not their looks fading away that is the big issue, its their heart and soul becoming corrupted because of certain lifestyle choices that bring no meaning or definition in to their essence.

Hold that thought.

Date in 2022 is rubbish. The culture tries to masculine women. Tiktok and e bragging about body count. Not funny after 30 when she can't land a husband nor find employment after ethot. The free attention suddenly disappears.

I am in Vancouver and this summer, I ONLY saw two young attractive women. Everyone is either fat and/or old as well as very angry looking. For us, it wont get any more woke. I see L.A as a place of beauty and opportunity. I am probably looking at it from an 80s and 90s lenses. Would love to promote my cobrakingkai methods in L.A.

At least it's conservative there. Montreal and Toronto are a leftist nightmare. I've been to Vancouver. I noticed people were fitter. He'll, Montreal is cultured. Fine dining and awesome night life plus after hour party locations. Out west is superb for the outdoors. I worked out in Stanley Park. Met some girls. It was a great time. The mountains are nice. I learned snowboarding on blackcomb in whistler village. West Cost is better than east coast. I like our night life better but I'd rather bring up a family in the west coast.

LA gets people rekt. Couldn't imagine living in Cali. Texas or Florida.

Vancouver is the wokest place on earth and we do not have the freedom of speech. You get sued for making a lesbian joke.

I guess it changed since I went. A girl I met on vacation picked me up. Drove me to whistler. She was a yoga instructor. Early 20 something. A road was closed on route to Whistler due to a avalanche. Don't get that here.

It's possible that I saw things through rose color glasses due to my companion and week together with her. <Moves>I explored and I'd still argue west coast is better. That Jion Ghmeshi #metoo broke on the east coast. That's an example of what fuck shit goes on in the east coast.

[Quite]Regarding PTSD, sure but Terry also has PTSD but seems to manage it as well. Miyagi prequel is in works and there was a talk about incorporating Master Kim Sun Yung and Sato in as well. I am not sure if its in development phase but its been the talk since mid-2021. So over a year now.[/quote]

I got chills listening. I just hope they don't go full retard with woke and gender politics. Ruin it like they did cowboy bebop. :mad:

Terry is listed as 6,4 but the actor of Hawk mentioned that he is way taller than that. Some say he is 6,7 or something. Dude throws badass kicks considering his size. He makes sherdoggers look like manlets.

this isn't a attempt to internet tough guy.

I remember sparring a mofo with that sort of build. I got punched in a counter. It was gross body shot. The worst. knuckles drag on the ground. The build reminds me of Sam Elliot in road house.

Yeah. Kicks were cool. I like the cute Asian girl. I was surprised by her kick pad work. It's still woke and annoying but well done and delivered.

Yeah, I agree with everything in your post, 100%.

It is interesting; your track coach is literally the opposite of my elementary school soccer coach, Coach Calvert. He was always yelling at us, but his favorites were the guys who were untalented but worked hard and meanwhile, there was a group of talented but lazy star players--including his son--that he was always annoyed with because of their cocky antics and occasional lack of work ethic. Similarly, the local wrestling coach I was thinking of, gruff and intimidating though he was, always invested himself in the matches of his wrestlers. I didn't even wrestle for him, but I remember him coaching me in my final high school match, just because he cared. Actually, my all-time high school wrestling hero wrestled for him; he was a guy who never won a varsity spot but trained his butt off and came out like a monster for every match. And in spite of being a 4-year JV wrestler, the old man was completely behind him.

Miyagi is a great example; he does yell, to cut Daniel off. And he gives him an intense speech and asks a lot of him. But the fact is that he's doing it FOR Daniel, not for himself. He's doing it because he knows how important it is that Daniel "never lose to fear." That scene is probably my favorite scene in all of the Karate Kid movies. Heck, as much as I love Cobra Kai, it might be my favorite Karate Kid-related scene period.

I think it actually is my favorite scene from the KK universe. Not sure how anyone who's ever competed against an intimidating opponent in a combat sport could NOT get a little chill up their spine from that scene. But that exchange is only possible if the coach has earned the athlete's trust and respect, and that's not happening if the coach is just abusive and demeaning every practice. Otherwise it would go down like this:

Coach: Hey bitch face, you ready to go out there and finish this fight?
Fighter: No coach! I'm scared! I can't win.
Coach: Hey!!! Was I just wasting my time smacking you around with that stick every day in practice?
Fighter: Uh... yes coach?
Coach: Now is the time to let it out! You bleed like Mai Li!!!

Last edited:
During the fight with Danial at Dungeon Master Stingray's pad, there's a moment where Silver grabs Danny's face and pushes him away. You see then how big Silver's hands are; one of them covers nearly all of Danial's face.

Silver isn't Jacked, he's just naturally big and strong. Combine that with a high level of martial arts skill and you have a fearsome opponent.

Reminds me of burns vs Khamza lol

He's a huge guy. It's super cool everyone nearly all came out and back to cobra Kai. It's been a lot of fun. The cliffhanger felt anticlimactic tbh. I thought Krease nay want to help out vs Silver. It ruins the tournament at this point. Like why bother now?

Thats even worse tbh. I think long lanky over strong. Those are fighting attributes. Hard to see how Danny won so easily. Broke no sweat.

Most impressed with the Japanese sensei. I guess he helped weaken and arguably defeated Silver 1st to the point he was at mercy to the death.

Abou5 the only thing to make sense.

Back