Commentary: Why is Charles Oliveira so popular?

Are you a fan of Charles

• Total voters
He’s popular because people love to jump on band wagons until they get derailed. If Islam beats him one more time and he loses his next fight after that, everyone will have forgotten about him.

what I don’t get is all the praise for him when he has a similar fighting style to Aljo who gets bashed by everyone. Charles brand backpacks are in while Aljo brand backpacks are out. At least Aljo won a title and defended it.

Thats true a lot of the time but honestly I don't think so with Charles, his previous patchy record I think meant he didnt get the kind of overhype alot of unproven new names do were people can build them up into gods with zero weaknesses, he was always quite popular because he was fun to watch and when he became a more dangerous striker and kept winning in entertaining fashion its not surprising this built up fans.

I appreciate that he brings it every time, that he worked tirelessly to develop as a fighter, and that he carries the torch for BJJ in MMA (as opposed to besmirching it like Kron).

He was born in one of the poorest and most dangerous parts of the world.

When he was a kid he decided to turn his life around and started to do BJJ and was then taunted for being a poor kid which gave him the nickname "from the Bronx".

He then switched to MMA and somehow managed to get invited by the biggest Org in the world.

He had his UFC debut at the age of 20. He won and lost but managed to improve and went on on one of the most exiting win streaks ever in the UFC.

In 33 wins he only won 3 by decision and the rest by stoppage.

What else do you need to read to understand why he is popular?

I think because, coming up, it seemed that he found his level as a good, Top Ten, but not great LW, who would be a good name opponent or gatekeeper kind of fighter.

He started out at 14-0, and then when he went against the next level of competition, he went 2-4 (1 NC) with losses to Miller, Cerrone, Swanson and Edgar. That string of up and down after his hot start continued, finishing with him going 8-8 over that span.

And then he kept working and working and put together a run that everyone was expecting to end, but didn't, and he was at the top of the division. Nothing was given to him, and he overcame setbacks and didn't settle for what seemed to be his level.

What's not to like? I'm not even a huge fan, but I have crazy respect for that.

He's always in fun fights, has smoked all the top competition in barn-burners (with the exception of Islam) and has a vibe and presence.

Charles is easily one of the most entertaining fighters in the sport. On top of that he’s active and doesn’t avoid anyone. I couldn’t imagine being an MMA fan and not being a fan of Oliveira

Last edited:
For me its that i have been watching him for a long time and seen his evolution. I still remember when he was just a BJJ guy to now a complete and dangerous fighter everywhere.

We have so many reasons to appreciate him, as many said already. Hes done so much and will still do more. Finishes, violence, exciting fights, skills, improvements.

I go to the reverse question.

Is there anything you hate on Charles? If so, what/why?

I cant think of ONE thing against this guy. Certainly a HOF

If he gets it back from Islam, who knows what his ceiling will be

no one would believe he will be a champ back then
its crazy how much he achieved
he can be an inspiration

Because he has earned it. The guy finishes fights like no one else. He may not look as scary as Wanderlei Silva, maybe that is why everyone keeps underestimating him (how the hell was he the underdog against Dariush?).

Charles is the epitome of Chute Boxe to the core, completely fearless, real fighter, always goes into the cage to finish his opponent not play patty cake for the judges. That also probably explains his increased success as guys today think more about fighting for points and rounds so are not prepared for Oliveira aggressively fighting to finish.

His style is awesome, kill or be killed, probably even more than Gaethje now. That said I still think his grappling is a step down from Islam.

He’s popular because people love to jump on band wagons until they get derailed. If Islam beats him one more time and he loses his next fight after that, everyone will have forgotten about him.

what I don’t get is all the praise for him when he has a similar fighting style to Aljo who gets bashed by everyone. Charles brand backpacks are in while Aljo brand backpacks are out. At least Aljo won a title and defended it.

Put at least some effort into trolling.

I like him, but he's not the GOAT like everyone wants to claim.

He's a kill or be killed fighter, no bullshit personality. skilled everywhere. fights are always exciting.

fighters like him usually don't get a title. he broke the curse.

Good guy, exciting fighter who can win a fight any way he likes, but he’s also vulnerable. This makes his fights even more exciting because as fuckin skilled as he is, most elite level fighters will have their opportunities against him.

I can’t understand how he has any haters tbh. Probably my favourite current fighter to watch

He's a kill or be killed fighter, no bullshit personality. skilled everywhere. fights are always exciting.

fighters like him usually don't get a title. he broke the curse.

My thoughts exactly

Back