Media Connor Mcgregor Mirroring Mike Tyson In All The Wrong Ways. Is Chandler His Lennox Lewis?

conor is nothing like mike tyson. they don’t share any similarities, except perhaps superficially. i like both of them, but the comparison is hollow.

They definitely share some similarities.

First of all, Mike Tyson is eons more talented and athletic and skilled in every way. A technical behemoth, fighting machine and stamina of an ox. People underestimate that about him too, I've seen some people sort of speak about Tyson like a... quick start front runner, as if 'oh if he didn't get you out of there in 3-4 rounds' type of fighter... it's like, whutttt are you talking about; he went the distance multiple fights, so, 12 rounds - but not just that, 12 rounds of CONTINUOUS fucking... energy-draining, frentic combination punching. Some guys go 12 rounds but take rounds off, and throw about 20% of his punch volume. He threw every single damn punch to try and knock you out, every punch was near perfectly formed and he barely seemed to ever look tired, shit was insane.

Anyway, that's not Conor obviously, he gasses after about 4 strikes, and is nowhere near as technically interesting or proficient in his realm, BUT...

- Both were exciting knockout artists
- Both larger than life, once in a lifetime personalities, personas... and images; both transcended the sports
- Both as much/more drama in as out of the ring, chaotic circus shows
- Both sort of beloved and reviled in equal measures; lots of redeeming but also truly foul, extreme qualities...

They both are bigger than the sports, bigger than any fight, exciting (whether they win or lose), charismatic freak shows who also were genuine fighting talents too and deserving of respect at one time in that department. And, both would sell massive PPVs and always have interest no matter how many times they lose, how many times in a row or to who; because they still fight in an exciting way or are part of exciting performances, strikes, punches... styles.

And then, yes both are self-destructive, demon-filled savages too, so, okay if you call all that superficial, but, I can definitely see the comparison and have long thought of McGregor as the Mike Tyson of MMA.

What? Well I won't be seeing your posts anymore.

Prime Tyson wouldve murdered him
Nope. Prime Tyson is a myth that never fought a truly elite HW. The best pure boxer he fought who wasn't washed was Michael Spinks who was a tiny HW.

If a fighter is so dependent on having a certain coach/trainer and can't perform well without them, they aren't GOAT material.
Excellent point. Fanboys give every excuse to Tyson solely because of his stardom and persona. But this little addendum of yours - Tyson’s remarkable dependence on Cus and then Rooney tells me, alone, he failed without them and we all witnessed that.

In which sport do you give someone the best credentials when he was with such and such coach? It’s unheard of.

Reactions: mkt
Conor cherry picking midget brawlers is somehow like Tyson fighting an all time great in Lewis? What the fuck are you even talking about?

even mike himself, would disagree with that. they don't call ali the GOAT for no reason. only zoomers addicted to tik tok think that mike is the goat....he lost to the only 2 rivals that he had <Neil01>
Mike would disagree with that because of respect

Lennox is probably a top 3 heavyweight of all time, so no, Chandler is not McGregor's Lewis.

Was Tyson chinny? Because he's been on the canvas more than Lewis, and been knocked out more than Lewis.

Lewis absorbed bombs from some of the heaviest hitters of his day, including Tua, Vitali, Tyson and Briggs. That's not a guy who is chinny.
Ruddick wasn’t the same after those two bouts with Tyson. McCall and Rahman were every bit the guns that Douglas was. When did Tyson hit the canvas? Douglas (check) … Every other time Tyson was no where near in his prime. Compare those who had Lewis in his prime during the McCall & Rahman era and contrast that to those who had any of Tyson’s knock downs post Buster Douglas occurring in Tyson’s prime.

the whole narrative is quite a reach. doesn't make sense to me. let's keep this simple. Conor is a former shell of himself who's famous, rich as fuck and loves to party. he's won one fight in 7 1/2 years. against a washed up cowboy. he's not an elite fighter by any sense of the imagination. he's a famous fighter. big difference. that being said, chandler has one win in the last 4 fights. and if chandler allows this fight to take place at a distance where Conor can use his reach and leg attacks, I do think Conor could pull this off. but I do heavily favor chandler overall

Ruddick wasn’t the same after those two bouts with Tyson. McCall and Rahman were every bit the guns that Douglas was. When did Tyson hit the canvas? Douglas (check) … Every other time Tyson was no where near in his prime. Compare those who had Lewis in his prime during the McCall & Rahman era and contrast that to those who had any of Tyson’s knock downs post Buster Douglas occurring in Tyson’s prime.

What does his prime have to do with his chin? George Foreman was in his 40s and his chin was still like a rock.

Back