Media Cool new feature on the Fight Matrix Rankings.

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
You can scroll down and see the rankings of their opponents at the time of their bout and also the way of being finished, etc. I think it's a really cool feature and just letting other people know. For example I am including Paddy's record

https://www.fightmatrix.com/

pp_hist.png

It gives you a rough idea but the fight matrix rankings are dog shit. I believe Oliver Mercier is like top ten according to their rankings. Natan Schulte is top 11. They give too much weight to tournament wins.

Last edited:
You can scroll down and see the rankings of their opponents at the time of their bout and also the way of being finished, etc. I think it's a really cool feature and just letting other people know. For example I am including Paddy's record

https://www.fightmatrix.com/

pp_hist.png

Is this new? Great feature. Trying to find older MMA rankings is such a chore.

It gives you a rough idea but the fight matrix rankings are dog shit. I believe Oliver Mercier is like top ten according to their rankings. Natan Schulte is top 11. They give too much weight to tournament wins.
Meanwhile the UFC rankings are determined by fake media outlets being told by the UFC to vote based on a fighter's marketability, and Tapology takes decades to remove inactive fighters.

Meanwhile the UFC rankings are based purely on fighter marketability and Tapology takes decades to remove inactive fighters.
Tapology rankings are actually based on user lists, aka the most popular guys are the UFC ones and on top of the rankings. Khalil Roundtree, Ryan Spann, Azamt Murzakanov are ahead of Vadim Nemkov according to them, which is just LOL

I'm not seeing what your issue is with Mercier. The UFC still has 39 year old RDA as a top 10 lightweight despite his last win at lightweight being a split decision against Paul Felder 3 years ago.

Mercier's last loss was 4 years ago to Arman Tsarukyen. His other losses? Gilbert Burns and Alexander Hernandez (who was ranked at the time). He's railed off a 9 fight win streak since then, including a win over Shane Burgos.

I'm not seeing what your issue is with Mercier. The UFC still has 39 year old RDA as a top 10 lightweight despite his last win at lightweight being a split decision against Paul Felder 3 years ago.

Mercier's last loss was 4 years ago to Arman Tsarukyen. His other losses? Gilbert Burns and Alexander Hernandez (who was ranked at the time). He's railed off a 9 fight win streak since then, including a win over Shane Burgos.
OAM is an underrated guy, not the most exciting but he sticks to a gameplan and has above average wrestling and standup

Hmm that's pretty cool and convenient. Wish rankings were better formulated though in general

OAM is an underrated guy, not the most exciting but he sticks to a gameplan and has above average wrestling and standup

He also was ranked at one point when in the UFC, has wins over Evan Dunham, Rocco Martin, and Drew Dober. Two of his three losses have aged very well. That combined with his 9 fight win streak? I don't see why him being in the top 10 would be "dogshit."

He also was ranked at one point when in the UFC, has wins over Evan Dunham, Rocco Martin, and Drew Dober. Two of his three losses have aged very well. That combined with his 9 fight win streak? I don't see why him being in the top 10 would be "dogshit."

I think top ten is a stretch but top 20 probably fine.

Win streaks don't mean anything if they aren't great wins. The rating for fight matrix is very off. He is ranked high because tournament wins improves his ELO score dramatically. It's not his level of competition. MMA fighters fight once or twice a year. The sample size gets skewed when you have tournament fighting. ELO works better for chess when people can play multiple games in one day instead of 1-3 fights a year. ELO also doesn't take in context the strength of a win, bad decisions or catchweight fights. You have guys like Khamzat ranked at the top 3 in the MW despite having no ranked wins at MW. He was even top 5 at MW on fight matrix before he even fought Usman.

Using RDA and 3 years ago is a bit of a stretch. The man didn't fight during parts of COVID because of illness and multiple fights being cancelled. He was also vying for a fight with Islam for a title shot which never materialized. In 2022, RDA took a short notice fight against Moicano at 160 because Moicano didn't have time to make LW. It is essentially a LW fight.

Meanwhile the UFC rankings are determined by fake media outlets being told by the UFC to vote based on a fighter's marketability, and Tapology takes decades to remove inactive fighters.
Can you name some bad placements in the current rankings? I know there are a few guys who are ranked a bit high based off their losses to ranked opponents. I am just curious about who are the marketable fighters who are placed on the list. I don't see Paddy, Mcgregor or Rosas on any of the rankings.

Can you name some bad placements in the current rankings? I know there are a few guys who are ranked a bit high based off their losses to ranked opponents. I am just curious about who are the marketable fighters who are placed on the list. I don't see Paddy, Mcgregor or Rosas on any of the rankings.
I did a thread on the UFC's rankings back in 2020 and this is what I found:

-More than half of the media members don't have a primary focus on MMA.
-One third of the media members don't cover sports.
-Several media members had their domain names for sale.
-Most of the media members were nothing more than Facebook/Instagram pages.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/presenting-the-people-who-vote-on-the-ufcs-rankings.4149746/

One of these media members exposed how the UFC tells the panelists how they should vote:

Credit to @dildos for finding the post on Twitter.
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/162823374/

I did a thread on the UFC's rankings back in 2020 and this is what I found:

-More than half of the media members don't have a primary focus on MMA.
-One third of the media members don't cover sports.
-Several media members had their domain names for sale.
-Most of the media members were nothing more than Facebook/Instagram pages.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/presenting-the-people-who-vote-on-the-ufcs-rankings.4149746/

One of these media members exposed how the UFC tells the panelists how they should vote:

Credit to @dildos for finding the post on Twitter.
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/162823374/

This has nothing to do with the UFC. This is the brief from the organizer of the panel. Read this article. They go in depth about the flaws of the system. They have these guidelines so people just don't randomly vote for their favorite fighter as number 1. In Burgo's case he was going to drop with a loss. You are arguing over rank 12 vs rank 14.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/7/...nel-a-closer-look-at-the-ufcs-rankings-system

"It was Jenness who reached out to media members in January to expand the panel from 14 members to 22. When the rankings started in 2013, it was the UFC that handled recruiting panelists both directly and through an application on its website, with FightMetric (now known as UFC Stats) handling the polling.

Asked directly about the UFC’s level of involvement today, Jenness answered that the promotion does not directly influence the rankings.

“The UFC is hands off,” Jenness said via e-mail. “Myself and my partner Chris Palmquist reach out to them on an ongoing but infrequent basis with relevant questions, like for example, ‘Is fighter X staying in this division or is it a one-off?’ I wouldn’t describe which fighters are eligible and in which class as a decision. If a fighter is contracted with the UFC, and fights in a division, he or she is eligible for ranking.

“I want to state unambiguously that the UFC has never reached out in any way, either directly or subtly, about any direction they want a ranking to go. It’s like a live rail — they don’t touch it. There is no oversight or editorial input whatsoever, ever. I say this on my mother’s life. Further, the software is mine, and sits on my server. No one in the UFC has access to it. They couldn’t tweak the figures if they wanted to. And they very, very, very much don’t want to. They want a ranking that mathematically reflects the honest opinion of the panel members, and they get it.”"

Back