Cormac McCarthy 1933-2023

I read Blood Meridian and No Country, really unique and powerful author. RIP

Actually came here to make a post in tribute to the man, but since this is already here, I'll simply add that he's the author whose works have most consumed my thoughts with pondering analysis. I recently consumed his final story, which remarkably he finished and published with time to relax before he passed on. His idiosyncratic mastery of words is unparalleled today, in my opinion, and his raw assessment of human condition really something to assess and consider. A brilliant writer, fascinating person, and clearly a unique visionary.

"You have to carry the fire.
I don't know how to.
Yes you do.
Is it real? The fire?
Yes it is.
Where is it? I dont know where it is.
Yes you do. It's inside you. It was always there. I can see it."

Best American novelist since at least Hemingway imo. Maybe since Melville. Maybe even the GOAT.

Even when subdued his writing was messed up is a good way.

‘You’ve been putting it up your whole life, you just didn’t know it..’

RIP

Actually came here to make a post in tribute to the man, but since this is already here, I'll simply add that he's the author whose works have most consumed my thoughts with pondering analysis. I recently consumed his final story, which remarkably he finished and published with time to relax before he passed on. His idiosyncratic mastery of words is unparalleled today, in my opinion, and his raw assessment of human condition really something to assess and consider. A brilliant writer, fascinating person, and clearly a unique visionary.

"You have to carry the fire.
I don't know how to.
Yes you do.
Is it real? The fire?
Yes it is.
Where is it? I dont know where it is.
Yes you do. It's inside you. It was always there. I can see it."

Nice tribute. He was truly a genius.

I always thought this was a great story.

“In 2016, a hoax spread on Twitter claiming that McCarthy had died, with USA Today even repeating the information.[90][91] The Los Angeles Timesresponded to the hoax with the headline, "Cormac McCarthy isn't dead. He's too tough to die."[92]

I loved No Country for Old Men.

I read The Road and No Country for Old Men when they were both released. I'm still shocked that No Country has a good movie. I thought it would be corny because it flips main character's and kills the person we have been following off-screen.

I still have The Crossing and All the Pretty Horses on my shelf since 2004. I don't think I'm ever going to read them.

I've been struggling through Blood Meridian for the last 2 months. Hard read.

RIP

I tried the audiobook and had absolutely no idea what was happening so I gave up. Then I ended up reading it and still only understood half of it.

The movie should be interesting.

Back