Opinion Coronation thread (will it be the last coronation?)

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
The coronation, which at its heart is a religious ceremony, will take place this weekend. During said ceremony they shall say, ‘by the grace of god’, giving the supposed king his dominion. (The last one was in 1952.)

Countries want to become republics, some want reparations, many want an apology. According to government polling, 62% of Britons support the institution, down from 75% ten years ago, leaving it all up to Charles to stop the slide. What doesn’t help? Attitudes amongst the young, with 36% supporting the monarchy. It seems to be heading in one direction.

1.) Do you think the monarchy should exist? (mostly a question for those it applies to);

2.) Do you think the monarchy will last another 50 years?

I haven’t seen a monarchist on SD in a long time — I would like to hear your opinion.

Edit:

This is my 5,000th post. Well, kind of. I’m probably close to 5,100 with the amount of deleted posts and dumped threads. Thank you to all Sherdoggers — past and present — over the years. Many laughs had, knowledge gained.

Last edited:
FvXzu0_XgAA2w8H.jpg

Theres a more nuanced view of this.

Monarchy is interwoven into the entire mythos of the UK. So for that reason I'd support a monarchy over a republic

However....should it be the House of Windsor? No

I'm British. I'm no anti-monarchist but it baffles me how anyone could get excited or think it's worth 100 million (figure I read somewhere) of tax payers money for Charles' coronation. It all seems silly to ne.

I'm British. I'm no anti-monarchist but it baffles me how anyone could get excited or think it's worth 100 million (figure I read somewhere) of tax payers money for Charles' coronation. It all seems silly to ne.

Don't worry, it's not real money. I'm sure G4S and Serco got a cut somewhere along the line

i will be watching, with curiosity.
i am kinda hoping he'd let william get his shot sooner rather than later.

I'm not a monarchist as such, but I am from the UK.

The UK Royal family is tied into the fabric of the UK itself. Read into the history of the UK monarchy and there ancestors. They are living history and an institution.

I think all the none UK people moaning and calling the UK for the monarchy need to remember the UK basically founded the entire western Civilization. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many more wouldn't be the successful countries they now are without the UK and its values and traditions are a part of what makes this country great.

The USA without the UK would basically be some Mexico hybrid, Canada would be some French hybrid and look how great the French colonies turned out (not great)

The UK Royal family are the western world's Royal family.

Great Britain has made the whole western world great and I think people from those countries need to have some respect for the motherlands traditions.

I'm not a monarchist as such, but I am from the UK.

The UK Royal family is tied into the fabric of the UK itself. Read into the history of the UK monarchy and there ancestors. They are living history and an institution.

I think all the none UK people moaning and calling the UK for the monarchy need to remember the UK basically founded the entire western Civilization. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many more wouldn't be the successful countries they now are without the UK and its values and traditions are a part of what makes this country great.

The USA without the UK would basically be some Mexico hybrid, Canada would be some French hybrid and look how great the French colonies turned out (not great)

The UK Royal family are the western world's Royal family.

Great Britain has made the whole western world great and I think people from those countries need to have some respect for the motherlands traditions.

Americans must bend the knee.

Back