Could any WWF guys have did better than Brock, Ken, Severn etc ?

Big Poppa Pump

scott-steiner-cagesideseats.jpg

Kurt Angle, Brian Pillman, The Rock, Meng, Chris Benoit, Vader, & Bam Bam Bigelow.
Bam Bam Bigelow got destroyed by Kimo. Granted, he was past his best days and probably had a bunch of injuries. He was a very good athlete for his size, but had no serious amateur wrestling or other background that would help with MMA, though. So I don't think he'd have done that well...just a Paul Varelens type.

"Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer was a good wrestler who lost to Dan Severn in a national high school tournament. Legend has it he was crazy, too. You could tell he was athletic by his mobility and speed when he was younger. He died of a drug OD in 1991 and allegedly lost a backstage wrestling match to Ken Shamrock pre-UFC. If he were alive, I don't think he would've been a good fighter by UFC 1 in 1993, but his prime self from 10 years earlier had a lot of potential.

View attachment 943653

Do people forget this guy tried?

Maybe Kurt Angle or Shelton Benjamin? Anyone with wrestling background? Probably plenty of athletes that if they trained early on would have the capability. They say Ming was a tough guy in general as far as a guy nobody fucked with.
he tried but the only fight i remember seeing is when he got knocked out in like 30 seconds by Butterbean in Pride

View attachment 943653

Do people forget this guy tried?

Maybe Kurt Angle or Shelton Benjamin? Anyone with wrestling background? Probably plenty of athletes that if they trained early on would have the capability. They say Ming was a tough guy in general as far as a guy nobody fucked with.
Meng especially had a reputation as a great brawler in real life. Supposedly he had otherwordly Samoan strength. Rick Rude, who looked like a pretty boy gym rat more concerned with his abs than anything else, also had a reputation. Apparently he won his share of barroom brawls.

he tried but the only fight i remember seeing is when he got knocked out in like 30 seconds by Butterbean in Pride

0-4 in K1 and 4-2 in MMA. Ironically in ck text to the thread he and Brock shared an opponent in Kim Min-soo, Sean was submitted by him and Brock TKO’ed him.

So far it seems like MMA fighters are having more success as wrestler than wrestlers as MMA fighters.

Iron Sheik quite possibly ( Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri). Not a joke. Dude was an incredibly gifted wrestler in Iran (believe he made their olympic team) until he fled for his life to the US and became an olympic wrestling coach there. To this day he is still one of the most respected behind the scenes wrasslers of all time. Drugs and fame got ahold of him unfortunately.

Bart Vale gets a lot of flak, but he did help merge the world of legit shoot fighting and "works" that looked more realistic in Japan. He won his first MMA fight rather brutally, but didn't do well after that. To be fair he was almost 40 when he started competing in MMA and didn't have a base in a real grappling art--just kenpo and a bit of shootfighting (maybe catch wrestling?) he picked up from others.

Meng especially had a reputation as a great brawler in real life. Supposedly he had otherwordly Samoan strength. Rick Rude, who looked like a pretty boy gym rat more concerned with his abs than anything else, also had a reputation. Apparently he won his share of barroom brawls.

Not entirely related to combat sports but I guess he was a high level arm wrestler? He kind of looked Don Frye’ish with a prettier body.

Not entirely related to combat sports but I guess he was a high level arm wrestler? He kind of looked Don Frye’ish with a prettier body.
I believe I did read he was a competitive arm wrestler. So was Gary Goodridge.

Back