COVER song thread!

Reznor even admitted that the Song is Cash's now....

And wrt Heart: enjoy this sick live tribute

Gretchen Wilson would've made a good rocker chick, shame she went country

That's a sick tribute/cover.

giphy.gif

Heart really nailed Stairway to Heaven. Ann Wilson is one of the greatest voices ever.

Another cover that I really liked was Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence. Especially the version on Conan.

Draiman should use that voice for better songs than Disturbed normally does.

Heart really nailed Stairway to Heaven. Ann Wilson is one of the greatest voices ever.

mrw-when-my-wife-asks-me-whether-im-drunk-or-high-11078.gif

Another cover that I really liked was Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence. Especially the version on Conan.

Draiman should use that voice for better songs than Disturbed normally does.

Thanks for that. I had not seen that before. Draiman has a powerful voice and that was an excellent cover.

Jeff Buckley covering 'Hallelujah', by Leonard Cohen, comes to mind.

I'm not into metal, but this cover was perfect.

[yt]

That's an awesome cover. They manage to preserve the overall feeling of Bad Company but do it in their own way so that instead of "6 gun sound" its "Death Punch Sound."

Its imposible to pick One, but here are some honoable mentions....

Pantera covering Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath

Rage Against the Machine covering Tom Joad and Kick out the Jams

Hank 3 covering all his Grand daddys jams with the Melvins....

Primus Covering:
-Have a Cigar
-NIB (with Ozzy singing)
-their LIVE cover of In the Flesh by Pink Floyd is cool
-children of the grave
-big in japan (Tom Waites)

On a Les Claypool note:
-When The Frog Brigade covered the entire ANIMALS album LIVE by Pink Floyd is one of my all time fav performances

More Claypool
-w/ Sean Lennon covering The Court of the Crimson King, Tomorrow never knows, and Astronomy Dominae

Agree with all the SRV mentions as well. Shame we lost him....

So hard to say which is the GOAT tho cuz there are so many. Im a big fan of LIVE performances of covers for sure.

@ToxicShocker This is a pretty insane cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with a pretty crazy backstory. I don't recall exactly but someone like Rolling Stone did a Top 100 guitarists of all time and they didn't put Prince on the list and he was pissed about it so when this collection of hall of fame musicians got together to do this cover, Prince went off and shredded this solo as sort of a statement about his abilities as a guitarist. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Bill Callahan's version of Heaven Help the Child is far superior to Mickey Newbury's version:

Heart did their cover of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven live at the Kennedy Center with many celebrities in attendance, Barack and Michelle Obama, and most importantly, Led Zeppelin themselves.
I love Led Zeppelin but hate 'Stairway to Heaven'. 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave', 1969 is much better:

* Saw Robert Plant at a show last September. Still sounds great after all these years...

Def Tones took a Cure song to a new level. They are spot on with some covers like this one and the Duran Duran one, but miss the mark with some like Sade’s, and Lynyrd Skynyrd‘s songs.

Hurt cover by the Man in Black. Period. He took it from Reznor and made it his, forever. I don't even think people hear that song anymore first thru NIN, all thru Cash.

I was actually going to come in to say this. Not only was it a great version of the song, but for a giant like Cash to cover a smaller - but still significant - band like NIN so late in his career is an unbelievable tip of the hat.

Runners up for me are Don Henley covering Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows":

Henley really takes an incredibly heavy song and keeps it heavy, but also makes it a lot more jazzy and energetic.

And Dream Theater covering Rush's Xanadu:

It's a challenging song with a really unique sound and it took a band with Dream Theater's technical abilities to not make the song dumber in their cover.

I was actually going to come in to say this. Not only was it a great version of the song, but for a giant like Cash to cover a smaller - but still significant - band like NIN so late in his career is an unbelievable tip of the hat.

Runners up for me are Don Henley covering Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows":

Henley really takes an incredibly heavy song and keeps it heavy, but also makes it a lot more jazzy and energetic.

And Dream Theater covering Rush's Xanadu:

It's a challenging song with a really unique sound and it took a band with Dream Theater's technical abilities to not make the song dumber in their cover.

DT is a phenomenal band, I fucking shiver every time I hear "...Playing a lion being led to a cage..." in Misunderstood

I have to include this because I hate...hate...fucking in the ass with a red hot poker hate Rascal Flats.

But damn if Aaron Lewis didn't just take the song from them by force.

Back