Crazy Stat about Rumble at LHW

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, but thought it was worth its own thread.

Rumble KO'd Glover, prime Gus, Bader and Little Nog (who was coming off wins over Tito and Rashad) in less than 5 minutes if you count all the fights. You could fit all that in a single round. Put another way, that's 4 KO/TKO's with an average fight length of just over 1 minute. With the possible exception of Little Nog (who was stilll good at the time), they were all very solid/contender-level LHWs.

He also finished Manuwa seconds into the 2nd round.

Last edited:
Rumble was Poatan'ing everyone
Yeah, it's too bad he fought at the peak of LHW with prime Jones and Cormier. Outside of those two, I don't see anyone beating him via grappling. He dominated Phil Davis and put Bader to sleep in 13 seconds.

Outside of Poatan (which would be a war), I wouldn't give any LHWs past or present a big chance of finishing Rumble if they chose to stand for 3 to 5 rounds.

I know someone will bring up Vitor but there are a few points
  • That wasn't at 205 (where Rumble fought best). Rumble came in way too heavy and had a bad weight cut
  • The stand-ups were total BS. I think Rumble knew Belfort was a front-runner who usually faded by R2 against good competition so he decided to take him down and gas him out. The ref made them stand up twice in record time.
  • It was in Brazil where much of the reffing was odd and favored Brazilian fighters.

Rumble KO'd Glover, prime Gus, Bader and Little Nog (who was coming off wins over Tito and Rashad) in less than 5 minutes if you count all the fights. You could fit all that in a single round. Put another way, that's 4 KO/TKO's with an average fight length of just over 1 minute. With the possible exception of Little Nog (who was stilll good at the time), they were all very solid/contender-level LHWs.

Legendary!

Great stat / facts. Pretty fuckin phenomenal!

Rumble was an example of how competitive that division was in those days. Poatan wouldn't win 2 in a row fighting top 10 guys in that era and I'd pick Rumble to flatline Poatan easily too.

PS

That was prime Glover that Rumble melted. Not the fossil who became champion in the UFC recently.

It's sad to see how much the talent has declined in the UFC in the most important divisions- MW, LHW, HW.

Yet somehow he couldn't knock out Arlovski, even though Rumble broke Andrei's jaw. MMA be weird like that sometimes

<Fedor23>

Friggin rad. This is one of those things that we all technically knew, but seeing it literally spelled out, it's pretty awesome. Good take.

And let's not forget that Manuwa was 14-1 at the time ;) Rumble was on fire.

Yet somehow he couldn't knock out Arlovski, even though Rumble broke Andrei's jaw. MMA be weird like that sometimes

<Fedor23>
That's true. Arlovski also went the distance with the same Strikeforce TRT Bigfoot who finished Fedor. And Arlovski finished a much younger Travis Browne who had recently KO'd Barnett, Overeem and Gonzaga. MMA is weird sometimes.

Would have liked to see Rumble vs Poatan but he shot for a TD on Vitor pretty quickly so I imagine he would do the same to Pereira.
Maybe--it's hard to say. Rumble stood with competent and/or dangerous strikers like Arlovski, Gus and Glover (who previously had only been TKO'd in his first MMA fight--maybe GnP?). But he also went D1 wrestler on Dan Hardy, whom he clearly could've KO'd or UD'd in a striking match. His fight decisions and IQ weren't consistent. Trying to wrestle Cormier was more than dumb, but he fought well and intelligently against Phil Davis and others.

I think Gus would win more times than not against Rumble. What fucked him in the fight was his coaching calling for a kick in english and then Gus doing it real sloppy (like half assed attempt). Not taking anything from the win, but Gus has the chin to just not fold from 1 punch and the stamina. Just needed to survive that 1st round and Rumble just crumbles.

Back