Social Crisis' at Columbia University forces classes online, arrests at Yale College campuses are becoming battle grounds for Hamas and Isreal

Zionism is the idea that the Jewish people have the right to live in their homeland, Israel.

Are you against this idea?

Then why was it first offered to European Jews by people who didnt want them to continue to live on Europe?

I dont subscribe to any "promised land" myth. I dont care what someone claims their God says.

And? By responding that Palestinians are also Semites to a post about anti-semitism, he's implying that Palestinians have also faced anti-semitism, which is disingenuous and clearly wrong.

Then what do you call the Historical actions against Palestinians specifically? Because those exist too ya know. Persecution of semitic people regardless of their faith isn't anti-semitism?

Then why was it first offered to European Jews by people who didnt want them to continue to live on Europe?

I dont subscribe to any "promised land" myth. I dont care what someone claims their God says.

You think these European Jews are native to Europe? You know they were expelled from Jerusalem by the Romans, right?

I haven't read much in this thread.
But antisemitism is in reference to jews by definition. You don't need to overthink it or stretch the definition. The fact that not all semetic people are jewish does not change the meaning of antisemitism.

I'm not arguing that that isnt the normal and most widely accepted use of the term, but I am challenging the idea that it MUST exclude Arabic semitic people. It's kind of like saying that in the US you can only truly experience anti-black racism if you're black American, but not also black and African, or Afro-Latino. People who experience racism who arent American black in the US may disagree.

I think the root of the idea of anti-Semitism being only applicable to Jews is the notion that Anti-Semitism is based on their rejection of Christ, bit that seems like too narrow of a scope nowadays. Except for the Christians who support Zionism because what they want is for all the Jews to return to the Holy Land to be converted or eradicated so the World can end.

Then what do you call the Historical actions against Palestinians specifically? Because those exist too ya know. Persecution of semitic people regardless of their faith isn't anti-semitism?

What historical actions? Have they suffered persecutions by the Christians and Muslims for centuries? Did they face pogroms and become targets of a mass genocide?

You think these European Jews are native to Europe? You know they were expelled from Jerusalem by the Romans, right?

That's not the point. The point is Zionism wouldn't have been a concept had it not been for anti-Semitism. Not every Jewish person in the World thinks they NEED to live in a theocratic ethno-State.

What historical actions? Have they suffered persecutions by the Christians and Muslims for centuries? Did they face pogroms and become targets of a mass genocide?

Psst, they are facing genocide right this second. Have you ever met a Palestinian FROM Gaza or West Bank? The only ones I've ever met in the US were from Jordan or Egypt, I wonder why that is. And yes Christians killed a lot of Palestinian Arabs. Crusades ring a bell?

I'm not arguing that that isnt the normal and most widely accepted use of the term, but I am challenging the idea that it MUST exclude Arabic semitic people. It's kind of like saying that in the US you can only truly experience anti-black racism if you're black American, but not also black and African, or Afro-Latino. People who experience racism who arent American black in the US may disagree.

I think the root of the idea of anti-Semitism being only applicable to Jews is the notion that Anti-Semitism is based on their rejection of Christ, bit that seems like too narrow of a scope nowadays. Except for the Christians who support Zionism because what they want is for all the Jews to return to the Holy Land to be converted or eradicated so the World can end.
What are you trying to achieve by changing the definition? Surely a different word can be made like anti-Palestinian or whatever you're trying to cover.

What are you trying to achieve by changing the definition? Surely a different word can be made like anti-Palestinian or whatever you're trying to cover.

I don't think using the term "anti-semitic" against semitic people makes a ton of sense. But if you're drawing a distinction that anti-Palestinian can be ideologically separated from "anti-Smitic" (which Palestinians ARE semitic), then there shouldnt be anyone in here screaming that anti-Zionism, and opposition to the Isreali Government (as per the "Not in my name" rhetoric), are all "anti-Semitism" by default.

Psst, they are facing genocide right this second. Have you ever met a Palestinian FROM Gaza or West Bank? The only ones I've ever met in the US were from Jordan or Egypt, I wonder why that is. And yes Christians killed a lot of Palestinian Arabs. Crusades ring a bell?

It's not genocide. They're losing a war that they started.

The whole concept of "Palestine" as a country is a delusion. It doesn't exist. The name "Palestine" is a derivative of the term "Syria Palestina," which was given to the land by the Romans who conquered Jerusalem possibly to add insult to the injury that the Jews received.

You think the Palestinian Arabs were the only victims of the Crusades? Lots of Jews in Europe and in the Middle East were also slaughtered by the Crusaders.

I don't think using the term "anti-semitic" against semitic people makes a ton of sense.
It is what it is.
Just look past the "semitic" part of the word and realize it's not a literal definition.

There's no such thing as a secular democracy who reduces voting power of a significant percentage of its citizens to preserve majority rule, specifically majority of a religous faith.

What's your point, though? The majority of Israelis are Jewish. Also, one of the Supreme Court Justices in Israel is an Arab.

It's not genocide. They're losing a war that they started.

The whole concept of "Palestine" as a country is a delusion. It doesn't exist. The name "Palestine" is a derivative of the term "Syria Palestina," which was given to the land by the Romans who conquered Jerusalem possibly to add insult to the injury that the Jews received.

You think the Palestinian Arabs were the only victims of the Crusades? Lots of Jews in Europe and in the Middle East were also slaughtered by the Crusaders.

It's a genocide. "Losing a War" doesnt consist of carpet-bombing children playing foosball, and taking out foreign aid centers as well as UN buildings Bubba.

If you're arguing that much of that regional conflict is at the hands of European meddling, I'm inclined to agree. Just as Palestine is a myth, so is Zionism. Its "promised land" garbage dreamed up by Christian interpretation of scripture and fed to people they desperately wanted to get rid of.

Never once contended that Palestinian Arabs were the ONLY ones that suffered, I am just reminding that they did right alongside the Jews.

It is what it is.
Just look past the "semitic" part of the word and realize it's not a literal definition.

Just look past the part of the term that makes it anything. Sounds good.

It's a genocide. "Losing a War" doesnt consist of carpet-bombing children playing foosball, and taking out foreign aid centers as well as UN buildings Bubba.

Again, it's not a genocide. The IDF is methodical and surgical with their bombing and urban warfare. You can blame the civilian casualty on Hamas for their use of human shields.

If you're arguing that much of that regional conflict is at the hands of European meddling, I'm inclined to agree. Just as Palestine is a myth, so is Zionism. Its "promised land" garbage dreamed up by Christian interpretation of scripture and fed to people they desperately wanted to get rid of.

Christian interpretation? You mean the Rapture? This has nothing to do with Zionism, which again I will remind you is the idea that the Jewish people have the right to live in their homeland of Israel.

Never once contended that Palestinian Arabs were the ONLY ones that suffered, I am just reminding that they did right alongside the Jews.

So why did you bring it up in the first place? What the Muslim Palestinian Arabs faced from the Crusaders was not an example of an act of anti-semitism aka Jew hatred.

Back