Cyril Gane turned Ngannou into a panic wrestler, so how was Francis able to compete with fury?

Because the takedown was smart,in accordance w the rules,an option,and part of his strategy

/thread
Not to mention that Gane and his camp were intimately familiar with Francis, and Cyril is a MT guy. It's pretty damn obvious that Francis would've held an advantage if it were boxing only.

And on top of that Francis has had great training for the better part of a year. It's akin to asking how Stipe went from beating Francis to dying at his hands. Fighters change, as do their strategies.

Reactions: HHJ
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around How Francis was able to arguably beat the best HW boxer in the world after being turned into a panic wrestler by Cyril Gane in his last MMA fight. He had nothing for Cyril on the feet and was on his way to being 50-45ed before turning into NCAA Francis. So how did he piece Fury up like that? Please, someone make it make sense.

Francis had to change his gameplan to implement wrestling because his knee was compromised, he was fighting basically with one knee. So it's hard to display striking skills with a terrible knee injury like that.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around How Francis was able to arguably beat the best HW boxer in the world after being turned into a panic wrestler by Cyril Gane in his last MMA fight. He had nothing for Cyril on the feet and was on his way to being 50-45ed before turning into NCAA Francis. So how did he piece Fury up like that? Please, someone make it make sense.

He performed out of his skin and Fury performed at his worst ever via not training for the fight properly and completely underestimating Francis.

1. Ngannou's knees were highly compromised
  2. Gane was familiar with the looks he was going to get from Ngannou. It was all new for Fury
  3. Ngannou put heavy work into his wrestling after his loss to Stipe. Gane clearly neglected all of that
  4. Gane is an absolutely fantastic striker, from an MMA perspective. If he fixes the holes in his game, he may very well still end up the best HW in MMA

He performed out of his skin and Fury performed at his worst ever via not training for the fight properly and completely underestimating Francis.
That still doesn't account for the results. One of the best HW boxers of all time should not struggle at all with a novice, even on his worst night. I really think Cooper and Nicksick were extremely wise in not trying to turn Ngannou into a boxer, as MMA fighters often try to do when doing this. They let him use the skills and angles he has worked on for years, and worked to bolster his footwork and defensive discipline. 10 rounds just really wasn't enough time for Fury to see through the weird looks, especially not when that kind of power was flying back at him, and Ngannou was fighting as a counter fighter. Brilliant gameplan and preparation by the Ngannou team.

More than anything this makes me desperately want to see PFL name 4oz boxing a draw against someone like Wilder. That's the only way that the will manage to make any money off of Ngannou, and leverage themselves into a second, favorable investment by the Saudis.

- Fury looked like utterly shit
- different sport, can't judge
- no idea actually... the whole fight was weird and boring. Fury did nothing, his striking looked odd...

I wonder how Gane and Aspinall and prime Stipe would do in the HW boxing division.
Fury did nothing? Lol

He came straight at Francis from the get go trying to hurt him. After being floored in the 3rd he obviously became more tentative. Francis added a shit ton of body shots too, which considerably slowed down Fury. Fury’s go to technique of tiring opponents in the clinch backfired against Francis, who’s just as big as him, stronger and a better grappler.

Fury didn’t look good, because Francis never aloud him to be good

Game is simply more versatile and evenly skilled. No wonder he had him on a fork. Ngannu is used to much more powerful strikes than anything Fury could throw. He ate elbow like a biscuit. If you are used to blocking headkicks, you don't have an issue blocking glowed hands.

That still doesn't account for the results. One of the best HW boxers of all time should not struggle at all with a novice, even on his worst night. I really think Cooper and Nicksick were extremely wise in not trying to turn Ngannou into a boxer, as MMA fighters often try to do when doing this. They let him use the skills and angles he has worked on for years, and worked to bolster his footwork and defensive discipline. 10 rounds just really wasn't enough time for Fury to see through the weird looks, especially not when that kind of power was flying back at him, and Ngannou was fighting as a counter fighter. Brilliant gameplan and preparation by the Ngannou team.

More than anything this makes me desperately want to see PFL name 4oz boxing a draw against someone like Wilder. That's the only way that the will manage to make any money off of Ngannou, and leverage themselves into a second, favorable investment by the Saudis.

There's a myriad of reasons why but it all starts with a lack of preparation from Fury. He even looked gassed at one point. The strength of Ngannou in the clinch shocked him I think. I was particularly impresed with Ngannou's check counter hooks.

Wilder will kill Ngannou. He is way faster and hits way harder. All those one two's that Fury hit Frank with.....if Wilder hits him with one of them, it's lights out.

This tweet sums it up pretty well imo, Francis brought his A-game no doubt but he was facing far from the best Fury. I think there's a bit of fools gold in this "victory" for Francis, applaud him for his efforts for sure but I wouldn't be too sure of his success with the likes of Wilder & Joshua etc.

Last edited:
Let's make it make sense:
- He was on one leg with a very bad knee injury 3 weeks before the fight

- it's not panic wrestling, it was a beautiful tactical adjustment, and he won

-Gane is an elite striker

- The fight was not one sided on the feet. Round 1 was even arguably a 10-9 for Ngannou (it was on one scorecards).
Looked more like fear of getting owned standing by Gane. Excuses for panic wrestling make me want to vomit.

Mike Tyson .

Don’t even get me started on Gane/Francis. Rolling around on the ground and putting each other in leg locks. Bit gay if you ask me.

No, Fury relies on his size and against Francis he wasn't the bigger, he couldn't do most of his dirty tricks, he won on score cards but no one sees him as the best anymore.

I loved seeing Francis shove him to a side, that surprised everyone in there watching haha.

There is no argument. MMA fans don’t know how boxing scoring works. Watching boxing for forty years and fury won almost every round. Just retards who don’t understand the rules and are obsessed with Francis.

There's a myriad of reasons why but it all starts with a lack of preparation from Fury. He even looked gassed at one point. The strength of Ngannou in the clinch shocked him I think. I was particularly impresed with Ngannou's check counter hooks.

Wilder will kill Ngannou. He is way faster and hits way harder. All those one two's that Fury hit Frank with.....if Wilder hits him with one of them, it's lights out.

He could not bully the skinny Wilder like Ngannou in the clinch, hence why. This or because other boxers aren't as dirty as him, except that Ngannou played his own game in the clinch and completely overpowered Fury :

F9kAX0LWAAAiKuX

Also, Fury trained really hard : "I’m giving Francis 100 per cent focus; I have to prepare more because he isn’t a boxer and is coming from a different background. With normal boxers, it’s going to come from the same angle. He’s got an awkward style, so [punches] might come from different directions. I have to be prepared for that and that’s why I’m giving him 100 per cent respect.”

https://businessday.ng/news/article/fury-vs-ngannou-fighters-talk-tough-ahead-of-saudi-arabia-show/

Now stop eating the salt in the sea, fishes need it too <GOT2>

He could not bully the skinny Wilder like Ngannou in the clinch, hence why. This or because other boxers aren't as dirty as him, except that Ngannou played his own game in the clinch and completely overpowered Fury :

F9kAX0LWAAAiKuX

Also, Fury trained really hard : "I’m giving Francis 100 per cent focus; I have to prepare more because he isn’t a boxer and is coming from a different background. With normal boxers, it’s going to come from the same angle. He’s got an awkward style, so [punches] might come from different directions. I have to be prepared for that and that’s why I’m giving him 100 per cent respect.”

https://businessday.ng/news/article/fury-vs-ngannou-fighters-talk-tough-ahead-of-saudi-arabia-show/

Now stop eating the salt in the sea, fishes need it too <GOT2>

You're talking like Francis won....he didn't.

Also, Fury says a lot of things that aren't true. The whole world knows he was bang out of shape and didn't prepare properly.

Back