Dan Ige campaigns for MMA landscape without weight cutting

They should do same day weigh ins, but it is bad for businss.
There is all the hype with weigh ins on another day and ceremonial weigh in.
Plus having it the day before gives UFC a buffer to bring in replacements or adjust if people fail to make weight.

They should do same day weigh ins, but it is bad for businss.
There is all the hype with weigh ins on another day and ceremonial weigh in.
Plus having it the day before gives UFC a buffer to bring in replacements or adjust if people fail to make weight.
They could never do same day weigh ins the way things are now. Shit would be cancelled left and right. And it would be negligent of a commission to allow fights in such a dehydrated state. People would actually die.

I don’t know why they can’t figure something out. But it’s probably because they just don’t want to. And since nobody has died in the UFC, it’s business as usual. What the UFC wants, NSAC allows. Power Slap for instance. And the commissions elsewhere more or less follow Nevada as far as mma is concerned. NYSAC is stricter about weight misses. CSAC has their solution, but so few UFC events take place there it’s not having an effect.

A PHD blew up ONE championship’s weight cutting system as possibly being even more dangerous because it’s easy to fool the hydration test.

I’ve wanted it changed forever. But I don’t see anything changng. Just like incompetent, or corrupt reffing, and judging.

The whole system is a joke when it comes down to it. And everybody UFC/commissions are making money. So why change it?

It is from the past. It is proven to be bad for the body. It does not make sense.

it makes sense from a competitive edge standpoint. if you have a style that relies on reach/size/weight advantages.

Smart man and a solid fighter. Hope the best for Dan. Haven't seen Ron around in a while.

Is there a style that doesn't benefit from reach/size/weight advantages??

yeah. people who rely on pace. being big and heavy is counterintuitive to that. also having longer limbs and being taller/bigger overall makes you less efficient at using energy. if you notice a lot of the high pace guys are small for the division. Volk, Frankie Edgar at 155lb, Cain, Colby etc.,

another style is if you're a skill fighter. you don't NEED those physical advantages the same way someone who fights like Brock Lesnar or Johny Hendricks does.

the last style is if you're a speed fighter. if you're fast at HW it does not mean you'll be faster at LHW. you yourself might be faster but the lighter competitors will be even faster than the weight class you're coming from.

the other thing is weight cutting affects individuals differently. if you're bigger but your durability is compromised from the weight cut you really have to take care not to incur so much damage which will also change the way you fight if you weren't compromised. worse is if you don't realize you are compromised and go out and fight your fight like you can't be hurt and then are surprised by getting devastated in the actual fight.

LoL

My old coach use to fight when would just split the back-room up in half, over 200lbs on one side, under 200lbs on the other, then they’d draw straws for matchups

LoL

There wont be a landscape where nobody cuts weight ever again

I agree , weight cutting is dangerous and outdated.

Nobody ever has a plan for how they would actually ban weight cuts. As well as who is going to oversee and pay for it, and why.

Reactions: MT5
They could never do same day weigh ins the way things are now. Shit would be cancelled left and right. And it would be negligent of a commission to allow fights in such a dehydrated state. People would actually die.

I don’t know why they can’t figure something out. But it’s probably because they just don’t want to. And since nobody has died in the UFC, it’s business as usual. What the UFC wants, NSAC allows. Power Slap for instance. And the commissions elsewhere more or less follow Nevada as far as mma is concerned. NYSAC is stricter about weight misses. CSAC has their solution, but so few UFC events take place there it’s not having an effect.

A PHD blew up ONE championship’s weight cutting system as possibly being even more dangerous because it’s easy to fool the hydration test.

I’ve wanted it changed forever. But I don’t see anything changng. Just like incompetent, or corrupt reffing, and judging.

The whole system is a joke when it comes down to it. And everybody UFC/commissions are making money. So why change it?
Their system must has its flaws, there is no way DJ and Adriano Moraes are close in weight in fight night as they should be with very light weight cut to make the exact limit of 135lbs, DJ used to fight around 140lbs on fight night, cutting 5-7lbs shouldnt be a huge problem, he used to cut extra 10lbs to 125lbs and no one ever complained of him cutting too much.

This is bs. Fighters can choose to weigh less without the weightcutting rules. There is a maximal weight and minimal weightlimit. By your logic fighters choose to weigh closer to the minimal weight. That never happens below HW. Fighters only choose how much they are cutting.

Shit would be cancelled left and right.

For a few months, until people got on board.
You need the proper fiscal policy: ringside weigh-in, don't make weight, don't get paid, opponent gets all of your show money plus some dana money if warranted.

And it would be negligent of a commission to allow fights in such a dehydrated state.

Not if the commission first required the entire roster to sign a one-page acknowledgment with consent.
Then basic economics would resolve the dumb-cheaters problem. They would lose and also be injured. Their decision.

But it’s probably because they just don’t want to.

Ding.

They didn't have the guts to go for the real solution, so they went for a half-ass solution. Surprise, didn't work.

Good post, thx.

Back