Darren Till is not that big

People need to stop with this idea that Darren Till is some absurd monster of a welterweight. He is a 'large' welterweight who would be an 'average' or even 'slightly small' middleweight. Not monstrous, ginormous, or herculean. And certainly not a LHW.

Nordine Taleb is just as big as Till at WW, and fought on the same card. Till isn't some size-freak. He is larger than average but not freaky-big.

The dude that Neil Magny kneed was bigger than Till, for example. Just as thick as Till and taller--really can't argue with that. Tom Breese at WW was bigger too.

If you want to see really huge WWs, consider Hyun Gyu Lim or Anthony Johnson back in the day. Steve Montgomery, from the TUF Blackzilians ATT season, would be another example.
woodley
ponzinibbio
zak cummings
taleb
are all bigger.
maia is huge too. he walks around 195-200.

I really don't think much of Till. He's fine, he has a left hand, but he looked amateur the other night, and if he can't make 170, he would be unranked at 185, I don't think he he has any meaningful attributes other than size.

“He is a large WW”.....that’s the problem TS. Without the weight cutting then all these men would have to fight men their own size. If he walks around at 210 then I want to see him fight other men who walk around 200-225 at their walk around weights.
If they had weight classes every 10lbs and everyone had to fight at their natural weight Till would be fighting 3 or 4 weight classes above Cerrone... that's pretty fucked lol.

Rumble was a large WW too.

Then he fought and beat Andre Arlovski.

Till needs to stop being scared of people his own size and go to MW. He's not a WW and he's going to keep missing weight because he's unprofessional. He's also being protected from wrestlers and even though Till vs Usman should be the clear #1 contender match next IMO while Colby or RDA fight Woodley, I bet they won't make that fight yet.

Are you talking about Conor? Replace till with Conor. Lol. Same thing

It's because he's from Liverpool... scousers live off chips.

So in your opinion a fighter should HAVE TO (not optional) stay in shape 365 days/year? That makes no sense. Walk-around weight is irrelevant. If a featherweight wants to balloon up to 180 lbs when he has no fight booked, he should be able to, if he's going to make 145 is what matters.

Imagine hurting a career of a phenomenal fighter that likes to eat a lot off camp, someone like Ferguson who has admitted to walk around at 190+ lbs but never missed weight and isn't enormous to LW by any means, does that makes sense? Not to me.

This argument kills me. They are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. Your argument makes it seem as though if they’re not preparing for an actual fight then they aren’t training and become obese slobs. How out of shape does LeBron ever get in the off season? What about Leveon Bell? Terrell Owens said he had never even eaten a Philly cheesesteak when he played in Philly. Why? Because his physical performance was his livelihood. It should be even more so with a fighter. When they are in between fights and still training.......THATS THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT! And yes Tony is a big LW and should be fighting at 185. Geez, if he was really the best fighter then he would also be the best against men his own natural weight. It’s not rocket surgery but everyone wants to over complicate everything.

People need to stop with this idea that Darren Till is some absurd monster of a welterweight. He is a 'large' welterweight who would be an 'average' or even 'slightly small' middleweight. Not monstrous, ginormous, or herculean. And certainly not a LHW.

Nordine Taleb is just as big as Till at WW, and fought on the same card. Till isn't some size-freak. He is larger than average but not freaky-big.

The dude that Neil Magny kneed was bigger than Till, for example. Just as thick as Till and taller--really can't argue with that. Tom Breese at WW was bigger too.

If you want to see really huge WWs, consider Hyun Gyu Lim or Anthony Johnson back in the day. Steve Montgomery, from the TUF Blackzilians ATT season, would be another example.
Any time a fighter gloats on their size or becomes dominant sherdog immediately overstates their size ala gsp, Conor, Nate, jones, etc. Nothing new here.

This argument kills me. They are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. Your argument makes it seem as though if they’re not preparing for an actual fight then they aren’t training and become obese slobs. How out of shape does LeBron ever get in the off season? What about Leveon Bell? Terrell Owens said he had never even eaten a Philly cheesesteak when he played in Philly. Why? Because his physical performance was his livelihood. It should be even more so with a fighter. When they are in between fights and still training.......THATS THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT! And yes Tony is a big LW and should be fighting at 185. Geez, if he was really the best fighter then he would also be the best against men his own natural weight. It’s not rocket surgery but everyone wants to over complicate everything.
These athletes don't perform twice, maybe 3 times a year, they HAVE TO stay in shape because of the many games they are going to play.
Makes no sense to compare athletes from other sports to fighters, in these debates use boxing and kickboxing as a argument, not guys that throw a ball to each other.

Other than that.. that's just stupidity. The guys fighting at middleweight walk around 205+ lbs, Tony is fighting guys of his own size at lightweight, despite being 190+ lbs when he's OFF CAMP.
That's a terrible argument and that shit will never happen, fighters are not slaves, they are not going to stay at fighting-weight all time just because a idiot like you wants.
This is not the solution, weight cutting has been part of combat sports since your first day on this world, it's not going anywhere.

I think where the disconnect is for a lot of posters with this discussion is that they see people putting out examples of a fighter, possibly one of their favorites, who is large for a weight class, and imagine then matched against the guys who are already competing at that higher class and so they don't like that match up and get defencive of extreme cutting.

For the most part, I agree there are benefits. Most of the same people would be competing against each other. It is not like throwing a large ww into the cage with a bunch of larger men as they would all move up as well. The point would be less cancellations due to bad cuts and a healthier environment for the fighters. The other obvious thing would be guys who are really good at cutting not having an advantage of being way larger than the guys who just are not built to cut as much. This is a skills contest and I have always felt that the skill of cutting weight should have little to do with it.

Even if he's not actually huge, advertising himself as such is an excellent mind trick. People will be worried about his size subconsciously which in turn grows his confidence.

These athletes don't perform twice, maybe 3 times a year, they HAVE TO stay in shape because of the many games they are going to play.
Makes no sense to compare athletes from other sports to fighters, in these debates use boxing and kickboxing as a argument, not guys that throw a ball to each other.

Other than that.. that's just stupidity. The guys fighting at middleweight walk around 205+ lbs, Tony is fighting guys of his own size at lightweight, despite being 190+ lbs when he's OFF CAMP.
That's a terrible argument and that shit will never happen, fighters are not slaves, they are not going to stay at fighting-weight all time just because a idiot like you wants.
This is not the solution, weight cutting has been part of combat sports since your first day on this world, it's not going anywhere.

If you’re going to call someone an idiot then at least use proper grammar when doing so lol. Never use “a” to describe something that starts with a vowel.

You’re also wrong on weight cutting. It hasn’t always been around to the extent it is today. It’s derived from wrestling. Do you really think boxing legends were cutting huge amounts of weight? No. Due to advances in diet and nutrition, supplements and training combat athletes are now able to cut large amounts of weight. They try to be as big as possible to have a size advantage instead of depending on skill. Due to that we suffer from cancellations, lackluster performances due to the trauma on the fighters bodies, letting weight cutting skill be more beneficial than fighting skill and the fighters health suffer. Why? Why would anyone want to keep it as is expect to protect their favorite fighters?

CM Punk cuts to WW and he almost beat beat Brock!!! What a cheater!

hqdefault.jpg

upload_2018-5-29_19-7-11.jpeg

. And certainly not a LHW.

How did you get this conclusion?

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/dar...shouldnt-legally-allowed-fight-welterweights/

Darren Till disagrees.

AIN’T NO WELTERWEIGHT,” HE CONTINUED. “I’M A LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT IN THE WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION. IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL, WHAT I’M DOING. THE UFC SHOULD BAN IT BUT THEY CAN’T BECAUSE I DO IT NATURALLY AND I DO IT PROFESSIONALLY, AND NO ONE CAN DO A FUCKING THING ABOUT IT.”

Did you see him in the cage with Wonderboy? He was clearly bigger and stronger. Wonderboy is not a small WW.

It was overwhelming and was significant factor in the fight.

“He is a large WW”.....that’s the problem TS. Without the weight cutting then all these men would have to fight men their own size. If he walks around at 210 then I want to see him fight other men who walk around 200-225 at their walk around weights.

Thats what im saying

Till vs Ferg for the “205lb walk-around” interim championship belt

Tbh, i didn't expect for Till to look that big next to Thompson, he maybe bigger than i originally thought. Till is for sure one of the bigger 170lbers currently. Thatch is probably the biggest ever though, Anthony Johnson don't count because he clearly was on ped's & still is.

Back