Darren Till should take a year off and focus primarily on Grappling.

He needs to pull a reverse Brian Ortega - Till already got f*cked up on the ground, he "just" needs to take a long time off and really work a fuckton of grappling, particularly scrambling - his TDD ain't that bad.

He shouldn't be allowed to fight with a "torn" ACL

But in any case, yes I think some fundamental grappling experience would be good

Till looked the same size imo even though he was thinner. Was taller and had a comparable reach to Brunson who notoriously has a large one. He would be a very large MW if he gained more muscle.
in-this-ufc-handout-opponents-derek-brunson-and-darren-till-of-face-picture-id1235035929

Interesting, could have sworn Brunson looked bigger in the cage, but yeah they look pretty much the same

I think Till would benefit from a change in camp.

I think his current is just isn’t working out for him well.

This !

Till should also consider accepting that offer from Marvin Vetori. He can teach him some wrestling that he obviously lacks.

Just took off 13+ months. I dont know about this ACL thing but after awhile you are what you are. Hes still young - needs to return to 170 and , hopefully, just get better.

Darren Till talks a good game but hes going in wrong direction .... and has been for awhile. I thought he was going to show up vs Brunson - really did - and made myself and Vegas look bad.

I see a smaller Brandon Vera manifesting before my eyes. Till could be fighting somewhere else in a year or 2.
Moving down is not the correct path, his durability and conditioning were noticeably diminished.

He's lost every which way. He's been KO'd, he's been outpointed, he's been submitted after getting rocked, and now he was submitted after getting grapplefucked.

Would it help to work on his ground? Yes. Is that even the majority of his problem? No.

He's not 13 anymore folks. You can't just become a superior grappler in his late 20s. His career is over before it even began. Bisping got lucky asf due to circumstances he'd never get in today's mma scene unless ufc kept doing him favours and granting him endless title shots due to his work on the commentary desk, still different level of talent, better strikers and wrestlers overall. Might never ever see such greatness again in mma, I feel rn is the golden age of mma for the UFC.

Moving down is not the correct path, his durability and conditioning were noticeably diminished.
I agree 100% with his size & conditioning and he should be able to contend in todays 185 class . Brunson is not an elite and Till made him look like one.

That said, I would automatically say go back down and embrace the negatives at 170 .However - I could be wrong and maybe Darren just not that good. Hes still young but he , surprisingly, seems to be devolving as a fighter.

Maybe a change in the who & where hes training. Then they could assess where he belongs .I agree, hes a Ginormous welter - too big so he probably does belong at 185.

His wrestling actually didn't look bad. He stopped some takedowns from a great wrestler, landed some good shots to make him pay for it, and made him work really hard for his takedowns. Off his back though he did look pretty bad. I dunno if he is freezing up from fear of eating shots or something, or if he really just is that bad off his back.

But yeah, he needs to spend some time on his back. If he was able to get up after a minute or two that would have probably been enough to win him the fight. But instead, when he did get taken down he was stuck until the bell saved him.

Imagine having to crawl around on the floor with half naked sweaty dudes for a year just to improve your career.

fcd2c151c6647f58be2c5ed16765a1c6.gif

Legit I understand he tore his ACL, but he looked absolutely lost on the ground. Leaving his gym and going to ATT would do wonders for him. I actually feel like he has potential to be a title contender and he has filled out nicely in this weight class, but he needs to seriously take some time off, heal up completely and lighten up on the sparing. Work on wrestling primarily and face nothing but grapplers into his return.

You gonna pay his bills during this one year out of work TS?

Till is not going to 170lbs and he looked like death doing it. Not going to happen.

What Till actually needs is a step down in competition. He moved up and fought Kelvin (ranked and former title contender) then fought the second best middleweight of this entire generation next, and went to a pick-em decision.

Bruson was streaking and now on a 5 fight winning streak, was a bad matchup, and Till had a torn ACL.

Everyone overacts with this stuff. The guy is 28. He needs knee surgery, rehab, and to fight a top 15-20 opponent.

Being inactive isn’t the solution in my opinion. If his knee requires surgery, that’s step number one. Getting back in the mix as soon as possible should be his priority.

darren till moved to brazil and even learned Portuguese still couldn't learn any BJJ
Kaobon is a Luta Livre gym. The coach he went to Brazil for is definitely a Luta Livre coach

Back