Dave Chappelle: The Dreamer

Dave's new special. I didnt see any threads about this. Has anyone watched this? This is imo the weakest of his specials. I feel like every Netflix release has seen a decline in quality. I'd have to watch them again, but I might literally rank his specials in chronological order.

The jokes used to take center stage, now he's more about telling stories, often meandering that don't even have a punchline. I feel like he's phoning it in and just using these specials as an excuse to talk about himself.

Also hes way too obsessed with trans people. It was funny the first time but they are literally the centerpiece of every special now. I don't know of any other comedian who has kept bringing up the same topic over and over. It's super repetitive and the jokes keep getting less funny.
I didn't see it but the amount of material he's done is a lot for a comedian so that might explain a dropoff. Also, comedians (or singers/actors/athletes) go through a honeymoon phase with the public where they can do no wrong, then, usually there is a backlash followed at some point by a comeback. Dave isn't at a backlash point yet but he maybe on his way.

maybe i'll watch this one but maybe i can't, my brother booted me off his netflix after a serious tonguelashing from me. I asked, "out of all the things you could have done to retaliate, why that?" He said, "I don't know". I don't watch it that much and wouldn't really miss it and things I really want to see, i know other people with netflix.

I'm not a massive Chappelle fan but still watch his specials when they come out. I thought this one was among his poorest that I have watched. The material is dated now (Tranny stuff, Chris Rock slap) and I didn't even smile at things like the Titanic watery grave joke.

Back