Multiplatform DEAD SPACE [REMAKE] has arrived (January 27th 2023)

Extended gameplay

This was the first trailer that actually impressed me. Man, now I don't know what to do. I still think I will wait for a sale because Forspoken looks promising, like how the combat looks in that and it only comes out a few days before.

Looks great. I already enjoyed the first game just dropped it about half way through I forget why.

I got to admit, I've completely ignored all coverage of the remake until recently.

Guess I was stubborn about sticking with my opinions from a year and a half ago at the beginning of this thread.

But based on the recent footage, it looks damn good. As good as Callisto Protocall.

So I have to admit I may pay for this if the reviews are great. But I have a question for Dead Space veterans that are also looking forward to Callisto Protocall -

Which one should I play first?

Callisto Protocall is the spiritual successor to Dead Space, and is supposedly an improvement to its original formula, right?

The Dead Space Remake is a refinement to the original formula.

So as someone that never played the original, I'm torn which to play first.

Thoughts?

I got to admit, I've completely ignored all coverage of the remake until recently.

Guess I was stubborn about sticking with my opinions from a year and a half ago at the beginning of this thread.

But based on the recent footage, it looks damn good. As good as Callisto Protocall.

So I have to admit I may pay for this if the reviews are great. But I have a question for Dead Space veterans that are also looking forward to Callisto Protocall -

Which one should I play first?

Callisto Protocall is the spiritual successor to Dead Space, and is supposedly an improvement to its original formula, right?

The Dead Space Remake is a refinement to the original formula.

So as someone that never played the original, I'm torn which to play first.

Thoughts?

I’m in the same boat as you. That being said I’m not 100% sure if I woukd pick up the remake and instead just play the 360 version on Gamepass on my series X. however, if the consensus is that the remake is worth it then I would probably pick it up first, and then circle back to Callisto Protocol, if there’s enough refinements or additions to the formula from CP such that it would make Deadspace seem antiquated in anyway.

Tl/dr: if the they both have great reviews probably Dead Space remake first followed by Callisto Protocol.

I’m in the same boat as you. That being said I’m not 100% sure if I woukd pick up the remake and instead just play the 360 version on Gamepass on my series X.

I looked it up. They updated the resolution to play at 1080P, but not 1440P or 4K, and it still runs at 30FPS.

I've been spoiled. I'm demanding all my games be 1440P/60FPS or bust.

Tl/dr: if the they both have great reviews probably Dead Space remake first followed by Callisto Protocol.

Yeah, the drawback is CP comes out 6 or 7 weeks before DS.

I used to be in the 'I'll wait for great games to be $30 or less' club, but now I realize if you want to encourage publishers to fund these niche survival horror games that aren't expected to sell CoD-numbers, you got to buy them when they're new.

I'm no longer poor, so I got money to spend on products I want to encourage there to be more of.

Speaking of survival horror, its recently clicked to me that within 5 months we're getting...
*The remake of the greatest survival horror game ever. (DS)
*The spiritual successor to the greatest survival game ever, from its creator. (CP)
*The remake of the greatest survival horror / action game ever. (Re4make)

And later on we're getting a remake of the greatest horror game game ever. (SH2)

That's a hell of a resurgence of a niche genre that hasn't been getting the respect it deserves over the last 2 decades.

I looked it up. They updated the resolution to play at 1080P, but not 1440P or 4K, and it still runs at 30FPS.

I used to be in the 'I'll wait for great games to be $30 or less' club, but now I realize if you want to encourage publishers to fund these niche survival horror games that aren't expected to sell CoD-numbers, you got to buy them when they're new.

I'm no longer poor, so I got money to spend on products I want to encourage there to be more of.

Speaking of survival horror, its recently clicked to me that within 5 months we're getting...
*The spiritual successor to the greatest survival game ever, from its creator. (CP)

And later on we're getting a remake of the greatest horror game game ever. (SH2)

That's a hell of a resurgence of a niche genre that hasn't been getting the respect it deserves over the last 2 decades.

Yeah I’m looking forward to all four titles. Hoping they’ll all deliver the goods.

Yeah I’m looking forward to all four titles. Hoping they’ll all deliver the goods.

With CP, this is their debut title from industry veterans.
With DS, basically all they have to do (and it looks like they're doing a good job of it) is copy & paste the original Dead Space into a modern engine with improved gameplay tweaks.

I have the upmost confidence they will be 10/10.

With RE4make... well... there's too many unknown factors but recent previews make it look great. But I have my concerns about both the original game (I have a high respect for but it has its issues) and the fact this is the team that developed RE2make (which I have the unpopular opinion that it did as many things awesomely as it did not as well as the 1998 PS1 original).

As for Silent Hill 2..... who knows.
It could be awesome, or it could be a Konami cash-in for an IP they own but don't give a shit about.

With CP, this is their debut title from industry veterans.
With DS, basically all they have to do (and it looks like they're doing a good job of it) is copy & paste the original Dead Space into a modern engine with improved gameplay tweaks.

I have the upmost confidence they will be 10/10.

With RE4make... well... there's too many unknown factors but recent previews make it look great. But I have my concerns about both the original game (I have a high respect for but it has its issues) and the fact this is the team that developed RE2make (which I have the unpopular opinion that it did as many things awesomely as it did not as well as the 1998 PS1 original).

As for Silent Hill 2..... who knows.
It could be awesome, or it could be a Konami cash-in for an IP they own but don't give a shit about.

Yeah, I’d say I’m least “confident” in the Silent Hill 2 remake just because it’s not the original team. In fact, it’s not even the same developer at all. Combined with the fact that the Silent Hill gameplay is very different and not action focused like the other titles, that it could end up missing that certain “je ne sais quoi” that made the original great.

The Dead Space remake is probably the most sure thing and hardest to fuck up as long as they don’t fumble bad at the 5 yard line somehow.

As for the Resident Evil 4 remake, I mean they’re using the “A Team” that did RE2 remake which was (almost) universally loved as opposed to using the B Team that did RE3 remake which was much less well received.

I thought you had at least a serviceable pc? The OG still looks great, and the sequel looks even better. You won't need much to get 60fps/1440p. You can always hook your pc into your tv too. It would be worth it for just these games.

I played through DS1 and DS2 last year, and started DS3, but was a little burnt out. DS3 is more of an action game, but I want to finish the story up, so I'll get to it eventually.

DS2 was incredible, def in my my elite category. I never played it past an hour or so before last year, so I had no nostalgia goggles.

I went into a deep dive on the lore, watching the two films, reading PDF versions of the comics, and ultimately watching this guy's crazy channel for his lore videos. There were rail shooters released on the Wii, which added to the story in a compelling way. The lore is very rich.

I think you should experience it as it was and start asap.

I just watched it, in full resolution & 60FPS, and it looks damn good.

I didn't play the original, but I did see parts of it. Really wish they brought back Peter Mensah for his role. I've been a longtime fan of his.
OIP.QgC6jk6pBWrJ4gmJkaoVAAHaEv

With due respect to the new guy in the role, he's pretty generic.

Here's the first 9 minutes of the original, for those who'd like to compare.

I didn't play the original, but I did see parts of it. Really wish they brought back Peter Mensah for his role. I've been a longtime fan of his.

I will always think of him as Oenomaus from Spartacus. I loved that show.

I will always think of him as Oenomaus from Spartacus. I loved that show.

The first 2 seasons are perhaps the episode-for-episode best Television that's ever been produced.

He was great in Spartacus!

He was great in Spartacus!

He's been great in basically everything he's been in.

Including Dead Space, from what I've seen of him in it.

Perhaps after I play the remake I'll watch a playthrough of the original to compare the performances of each actor in the role.

He's been great in basically everything he's been in.

Including Dead Space, from what I've seen of him in it.

Perhaps after I play the remake I'll watch a playthrough of the original to compare the performances of each actor in the role.

I just realized he's also the "This is blasphemy, this is madness" guy! Crazy how i forgot that.

Thoughts on this?

Didn't know Nicole looked so young in the original DS, but I did notice she looked like she was in her mid-40s in the remake opening

Tanya Clarke, the voiceactress & facemodel, is 50. But its extremely common for older actresses to voice younger characters. Jennifer Hale is 57 and has voiced several teenagers.

Thoughts on this?

Didn't know Nicole looked so young in the original DS, but I did notice she looked like she was in her mid-40s in the remake opening

Tanya Clarke, the voiceactress & facemodel, is 50. But it’sextremely common for older actresses to voice younger characters. Jennifer Hale is 57 and has voiced several teenagers.

What’s there to think about this? Late 30s is that age where people can really start to diverge in appearance, with some aging great and still looking young, while others may start to look like an old boot. I’m 37 and when I was in Vegas with my wife in October I had a clerk at a convenience store guess I was 46. Hearing from a person I just met that I’m turning into a boot hurt, but it is what it is.

Here they traded in a youthful looking 39 for one of the old boot models.

What’s there to think about this? Late 30s is that age where people can really start to diverge in appearance, with some aging great and still looking young, while others may start to look like an old boot. I’m 37 and when I was in Vegas with my wife in October I had a clerk at a convenience store guess I was 46. Hearing from a person I just met that I’m turning into a boot hurt, but it is what it is.

Here they traded in a youthful looking 39 for one of the old boot models.

That may be 39 in meth years.

What’s there to think about this?

Anyone else find it humorous when someone asks 'What is there to think about this?' And then proceeds to tell us what they think about it?

I just asked for anyone who'd like to post their opinion, to post their opinion, so thank you fot posting your opinion.

<JackieThumbsUp>

Back