Dealing with the rolling thunder

Banana Tree's Nemesis

friendship bracelet belt
@Green
Reaction score
This is a technique that bothered me for a while. I always felt like this was a major bitch move to throw yourself out of position like that, knowing the ref will let you get up without a hurry. Maybe I missed some warnings, but it always looked like the refs don't care at all about it this to me.

Question being here: 'How should referees deal with rolling thunder kicks?'

For my understanding fighters who throw a rolling thunder are willfully grounding themselves and therefore should be counted back up by the ref. Just like fighters who kneel down to catch a break after getting rattled. It is a voluntary decision and fighters should be held accountible imo. The chances for landing on the floor after a Rolling Thunder are 100%, therefore it should be treated exactly like a kneel. Yet refs most often don't even give out warnings. To me it looks like the refs confronted with it miss out on applying the ruleset here.

All knowledge and or thoughts welcome.

You want to make a hard rule for a technique that is largely ineffective in the first place?

There is already rules toward falling down intentionally. A good ref should warn someone who is using a rolling thunder to stall.

But people don't use rolling thunders to stall...takes a lot of energy to front flip, much less do it enough to waste an entire round.

Why would I need to rolling thunder to hit the ground? I can literally just throw a kick and slip on my ass and it would have the same effect with less energy, and it would get past your rule.

Sounds like a non issue. Have you been watching a large string of fighter guys are front flipping all over the place?

It is a real low percentage move.

I've never seen a ref count someone for a rolling thunder, ever.

Also as noted it's a desperation low percentage technique.

I do think if someone just keeps ineffectively throwing them they should be warned though.

You want to make a hard rule for a technique that is largely ineffective in the first place?

Why would I need to rolling thunder to hit the ground? I can literally just throw a kick and slip on my ass and it would have the same effect with less energy, and it would get past your rule.

Sounds like a non issue. Have you been watching a large string of fighter guys are front flipping all over the place?
I don't want to make any rules. I just wanted to know what rules apply here and maybe question if refs deal with it correctly.

Of course you don't have to rolling thunder to hit the ground. I think you misunderstood my argument. I don't think at all that fighters use it to take a break. My problem with the move is that in my perception it is, eventhough unquestionably a low low percentage move, virtually uncounterable. Every offensive move can be countered in some way, shape or form. Not so the rolling thunder. Pretty much impossible to counter. So for my understanding spamming the rolling thunder at the end of every round would be a must win situation. It certainly has a low hit percentage, but there isn't really a downside to throwing it.
I would disagree with the statement that it is a high energy move. Some guys do it like a frontflip which of course then uses up a lot of energy, but it can be done pretty much like a roll/ dive roll, which doesn't use up a whole lot of energy. This kinda breaks the number 1 rule of martial art contests for me, which is 'you can't hurt others without the possibility of getting hurt'.

And of course I know that is bitching around, but that doesn't change the way refs should handle the situation.

To bring that argument even further, let's take for example a GLORY title fight. Fighter A decides to go with my algorithmic ninja technique and throw the rolling thunder right before every bell. In my understanding of the rules though that must be considered voluntarily grounding yourself, which at the end of the fourth round would lead to a disqualification, since that would be treated just like a knockdown.
Which of course would make that technique essentially unusable.

Now I know that this might only be technically the case (if at all), and practically there might be better ways to deal with it for the ref, but that would be a different debate then.
All I want is some clarity about the rules in place for my OCD. For the sport there is probably no relevancy to this whatsoever. It just bothers me on a personal level when rules have grey areas since the only purpose of rules in the first place is generalisation.

In any case, falling on the ground without landing anything of significance should be viewed negatively by judges.

Spinning bird kick is also low percentage and will inevitably land you on your arse.

Should Chun-Li be warned?
Not. Cos look at her thighs bro.
reikasaikicosplay.jpg

In Thailand they don't allow the cartwheel kick. Not sure about rolling thunder if anyone were to try.

I also heard that but is it stipulated somewhere in the rules?

Also, do you know if spinning back kicks are allowed? I never see them in the stadiums.

Also, do you know if spinning back kicks are allowed? I never see them in the stadiums.
Yeah, there was a video where Sam-D did it and I believe the ref gave him a warning or something. Can't remember the opponent

Of course spinning kicks are legal.. wtf man

Its a technique from the "Japanese kickboxing", as people said before, it rarely land,altought it is not so uncommon to see people getting KO´ed by this technique on Kyokushin tournaments-fights, you can find a bunch on youtube

Also the only guys that came out now in my head who had sucess with Do Mawashi Kaiten Geri kicks are Kizaemon Saiga and Peter Graham

I think it's a bitch move to want them Banned

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back