Decaf Coffee

TrojanStealth

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm like a decaf coffee addict. I've heard bad things lately, notably that most decaf coffee contains some caffeine. I don't do any caffeine, ever, as it keeps me level. My question is, is there any health detriments, or benefits, to drinking decaf coffee (2-3 cups/day). I'm dieting hard (GSD style) and it helps curb my appetite. Lastly, what artificial sweetener do you recommend? After extensive research, Stevia looks like the way to go? Sucralose gives me massive heartburn for some odd reason.

The caffeine content is so small you don't need to worry about it... unless you have some cultural hangup (Mormons don't drink caffeine, but apparently ephedra is fine). Its averages about 2mg per cup, which by comparison means you'll need about 20 cups to even begin to feel anything. What I WOULD consider a problem is the links to increased cancer rates particularly prostate problems in men that are associated with decaf coffees and not their caffeinated counterparts. Myself, I just stick to regular coffee when I'm using caffeine, and iced tea (which has much less caffeine) when I'm not.

Well I drink like 3 rockstars a day and I'm fine....

Right?

Well I drink like 3 rockstars a day and I'm fine....

Right?

sure...

The most I've drank is 2 rockstars in a day. On bad days I can get in a third, but since I only use uppers when I'm tired, by the time I need a third rockstar it's not going to do any good and I need sleep instead.

The caffeine content is so small you don't need to worry about it... unless you have some cultural hangup (Mormons don't drink caffeine, but apparently ephedra is fine). Its averages about 2mg per cup, which by comparison means you'll need about 20 cups to even begin to feel anything. What I WOULD consider a problem is the links to increased cancer rates particularly prostate problems in men that are associated with decaf coffees and not their caffeinated counterparts. Myself, I just stick to regular coffee when I'm using caffeine, and iced tea (which has much less caffeine) when I'm not.
Do you have any studies I could reference? What is the mechanism that leads to prostate issues?

This page is biased since they're trying to sell you a product, but there's a number of relevant studies at the bottom.

nobody knows for sure.

Could be related to the process of removing the caffeine, which apparantly is done using chemicals.

Apparantly, there is a company(process) called Swiss Water that removes the caffeine without the use of chemicals.

I will check it out further and post my findings.

Charles Poliquin on decaf coffee:

"However, coffee is one of those foods that's extremely important to choose organic. Oh, and if you're bored on weekends and wanted to perhaps give yourself cancer? Drink decaffeinated coffee."

Charles Poliquin on decaf coffee:

"However, coffee is one of those foods that's extremely important to choose organic. Oh, and if you're bored on weekends and wanted to perhaps give yourself cancer? Drink decaffeinated coffee."
Awesome. Something else that causes cancer. What is he basing this on?

Could be related to the process of removing the caffeine, which apparantly is done using chemicals.

Apparantly, there is a company(process) called Swiss Water that removes the caffeine without the use of chemicals.

Thanks. I looked into this. I guess if I'm going to do it, the Swiss Water & Organic route is the way to go.

Decaffeinated Coffe Effects on Health / Decaf effects on health / Decaf Coffee & Health

Have you tried the product they are selling by chance? Like you said, they are trying to sell a product. Valid or not, the products look good.

I work as a barista at a coffee shop and I just wanted to add some info for you on this subject.
A lot of this info is a little dated. Coffee is decaffeinated via a water process now. Largely in part because it tastes better, it does not have the same side effects as the chemical process.

Look for stores that have decaff done this way. Most of the larger chains do it this way now (Starbucks, Caribou, etc).

Back