Deiveson Figueiredo says he would rather fight Kai Kara-France than fight Brandon Moreno again

My Portuguese is somewhat iffy, but listening to Figueiredo on the MMA Hour, it sounds like he would prefer fighting KKF next over a fourth fight with Moreno.

I wouldn't mind a fourth fight with Moreno as I've loved their trilogy so far, but I know a lot of folks would prefer a fresh match up.

The two are so even that I do not think Fig gets to call what is next.

So again, you really don't see a difference between a dominant 3 round stoppage and a 48-47 5 round bringing the top two fighters to 1-1 (plus the draw?)
And keep in mind, we're talking UFC title fight precedent; nothing to do with other sports "leagues."
Honestly, I thought figgy cruised past him in the first and 3rd fight. I scored the first fight for figgy EVEN with the point deduction

he just ko'd garbrandt who was supposed to get a Flyweight title shot. now i think he's fighting pantoja and if he wins that hes right in there

I don't remember people saying this about frankie edgar and gray maynard. there really does not need to be a 4th fight

Frankie finished the fight definitively. If he'd won a close decision or been in a competitive fight where he'd edged out the rounds resulting in one sided score cards, it'd probably have been a different story.

Frankly, I believe that the way that the UFC makes title fights is super flawed. I'd be pretty enthusiastic about split decisions in title fights getting immediate rematches; maybe even some 48-47 UDs; anything other than that (obviously not a hard and fast rule,) the loser should have to win at least one fight in an elimination bout for another shot.

Keep in mind, going down 0-2 in a rivalry (especially if the loser hasn't done much since their first pairing) should knock the loser down the ladder significantly.

this is why all these rematches are dumb. well, one of the reasons. you can't deny the other guy a rematch after you just gave his opponent one. "sorry, pal. rematch store is closed. tough luck." it's a never ending cycle of boredom

Honestly, I thought figgy cruised past him in the first and 3rd fight. I scored the first fight for figgy EVEN with the point deduction

Yeah, that's the shitty MMA scoring system, though.
And I had it scored the same way you probably did.

That said, the second fight (you know the one that Moreno made Figgy had to tap out due to his own inability to continue) was a lot more conclusive.

Good, keep divisions moving instead of all these dumb rematches because Hunter is lazy.

Everyone said Figueiredo didn’t deserve an immediate rematch, so why does Moreno?
A close decision is a better argument for a rematch than a stoppage i guess.

They shouldn't rematch so quickly. They should try to build some excitement for it. The division is super competitive though. There might be different matchups within a year

Well figgy wanted to give Cody a free title shot.

There's like 3 guys more deserving of a ts than France right now

No - there is no reason for an immediate rematch. Other fighters have worked to position themselves for a title shot. You cannot hold up the title for 3 years for 2 guys fighting for the 4th time.

Figgy should fight the winner of Askar vs Kai, they are fighting in March so winner should be ready to go by Sept/Oct. Moreno should fight the loser or one of these guys:
View attachment 906026

Moreno Vs Pantoja III makes sense imo, Brandon needs that win back.

kai has improved quite a bit, just like moreno did. it would be a great fight. i think both fig and moreno could fight someone else rn, keep the division moving. rematch will def happen.

Call me selfish but I'd like to see them move on for now and fight someone new. Plus the division has more than just two fighters in it, give someone a else a shot, it's only fair.

My Portuguese is somewhat iffy, but listening to Figueiredo on the MMA Hour, it sounds like he would prefer fighting KKF next over a fourth fight with Moreno.

I wouldn't mind a fourth fight with Moreno as I've loved their trilogy so far, but I know a lot of folks would prefer a fresh match up.

In the interview they mentioned a fourth fight with Moreno and it possibly occurring in Mexico, but that is Wallid Ismail who says it.

Helwani told Figueiredo KKF is fighting Askarov next and if he would be interested in fighting Askarov if he beat KKF, but Figueiredo says he prefers the KKF fight as he believes it could be a bigger fight to sell.
I like the fact he wants to keep the line moving. I agree with him on that as well.

But of course, if he wants the "bigger fight" then Moreno would be the biggest...

Call me selfish but I'd like to see them move on for now and fight someone new.

Yeah, the UFC definitely needs to change their automatic rematch/ranking policy.
It's big enough and has enough people actually interested in the sport that (long term) it doesn't need silly manufactured rankings.

Dana's always talking about every boxing PPV being a fire sale; no need to act the same way.

Agreed, perfect fight that needs to happen. It's more interesting as well at this point, I'd like to see it for sure.

That'd be a good fight for Moreno; but would also potentially ruin the story (which shouldn't matter as much as it does) if Pantoja is one win away from a title shot.

After Askarov we will see more.

Not interested in the re-match jus yet...
The big boss has spoken, it's final, no rematch lol. Seriously though, I respect your opinion more than most and I agree

Back