Depression medication anyone?

Jesus Christ you get fucking stupid advice on this website sometimes.

Go to your family Doctor you trust. Get advice. Go see a Psychiatrist or Psychologist. If they think medication is indicated, try it.

Most SSRIs are well tolerated with very minimal side effects.

They just don't work.....

I'm a qualified doctor that has tried SSRIs. If you're at that point where you are considering taking the medication, honestly, try it.

I've been on medication on/off for the last 5 years. Have tried two different types of SSRIs. Had no luck with the first that I tried and they did absolutely nothing for me. The second that I tried seemed to work. I started taking them at a time when I was borderline suicidal, and they helped me be more stable. Definitely don't know if it was just the medication, but it felt like they helped me be more productive and do the non-medication things that everyone says to do for depression eg sleep/exercise etc.

Went off the medication for a year and started working a really stressful position last year and slipped into my old ways. Re-started the medication. And I'm back being somewhat stable. Personally I'd rather be on the medication than not be on it if I'm feeling at rock bottom. I credit the medication with getting me through university and still being here.

There are side-effects with everything you take. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having to take anti-depressants. They work for some people. They don't work for others. If you've tried talking therapies and everything else you can before trying medication, then honestly I'd say give them a go. Hope you feel better bud.

I think the first thing you have to figure out is if you actually have depression or if you're a bit down because there's a significant difference.

Being down and being sad about situations in life is normal, I would probably recommend therapy as the primary option if that's your situation.

If you feel down for no reason whatsoever even when things should be going well in life, feel empty inside and feel like life is generally pointless then that's more depression.

I take SSRI's and have done for more than a decade. Prior to getting on them I could have been a billionaire banging 10s every night and I'd still have been depressed. Since taking them I've been fine got a solid job, got a house and am bringing up a kid.

If you have genuine depression I can't recommend taking medication enough.
<PlusJuan>

It happened to me too. Weed ruined me a few times.

So you stopped and say you don't got illl effects of it. Doesn't mean that noone had them

Also I don't think weed is prescribed as an antidepressant.

I don't have stigma around weed I have expiriences.

And I know people like you where it's just a habbit and they don't get real side effects. But they all wanna smoke daily and get moody if they don't. Still don't get crazy or agressive.

You can smoke weed it's fine with me I don't mind it.
If ya trolling... <36>... It’s reassuring to read that you don’t mind and it’s fine with you for me to smoke... yayyy:meow:

You’re assuming again... Last i smoked was couple days ago and my mood the same... boredom

You can take cbd without the high.. basically that’s the best alternative for it

But you should take the strongest thc available and get that full on fat joe experience
fatjoe-dance.gif

I actually have a question for anyone who has taken them. Do you ever transition to not needing them or are you constantly on them to stabilize your mood?

Prayers, Exercise, Lexapro and surround yourself with good people.

Hi there. I’m on antidepressants . . . Kind of.

They can be incredibly helpful in improving your life. It just takes some trial and error. Idk how many I’ve tried at this point but finally landed on a high dosage of Zoloft and Wellbutrin that helps me cope (with a cocktail of other meds, I’m schizophrenic of course. Need a lot of balancing). It can be rough dude, I won’t lie. Everybody has a different experience on each SSRI but I would recommend avoiding venlafaxine. I swear to god at exactly 24 hours from your last dose you’ll get hit with the most god awful withdrawal you’ve ever experienced lmao. That one doesn’t fuck around.

I say I’m kinda on them because I’m classic crazy and always go through cycles of “I don’t need this anymore” only to suffer through SSRI withdrawal for weeks/months, realize I’m batshit fucking insane, and do in fact need them lmao. Probably be back on them come Wednesday.

Everybody will recommend improving your life in other ways, better eating, exercise, getting outside, etc. but I’m sure you’re aware when you’re depressed it’s hard to even get out of bed. Like you’re physically glued there. You can use the antidepressants to get you on the base level everybody else functions at, and then hopefully have the motivation and energy to improve your life in other corners from there.

Talk to a doctor, I’d advise doing some research of your own because in my experience you can’t depend on doctors all the time (I’ve been put through some things I didn’t need to be because of their bullshit), and keep an open mind. Don’t give up if one drug or another doesn’t work out. Fuck knows there’s a Rolodex of them lmao.

Ive tried like 7 and never had noticed any difference, except for the weight gain and inability to nut. Exercise is key.

For me, antidepressants never did anything. They can help some people get through dark spots in their life but I would guess that's mostly placebo. In the end if it makes you feel better and you don't mind the side effects that's all that matters.

Depression is a giant blanket term for a million different conditions and there's a million different factors to improving it.

Ask yourself:

Are you exercising regularly?
Are you eating a diet of mostly whole foods?
Have you gotten blood work done?
Do you have goals? A reason to get out of bed each day?
Have you worked on your mindset? Gone to therapy? Tried meditation?
Do you have healthy sleeping habits?
Do you get sunlight daily? Do you get out in nature occasionally?
Do you have healthy relationships?
Are you learning? Do you have a creative outlet?

Yes, talk to your doctor but don't just take a pill without trying anything else with it. Improving your mental health is hard but it will be worth it in the end. Only you can save yourself.

I took them for 4 days in 2019. The side effects screwed me up too much. It effected me at work and was scary considering my job. But it really did help my depression. It was weird feeling what was supposed to be normal, emotionally I felt great and was really productive those 4 days. But no sleep(I just couldn’t fall asleep, was getting about 3 hours a night) and heightened heart rate and sweating easily was no go. Almost got heat exhaustion at work doing easy shit, let alone an emergency.

Seen one of my best friends turn into a reclusive zombie on depression meds. The answer isn't medication first and only. You have to make lifestyle changes to see if that improves anything first. And then if not, lifestyle change in conjunction with the use of the medication second.

People feel like shit because they're lives are shit. Then they take the medication and think it's gonna make it better, but they're still doing the same things they did without the meds. You have to change your life in order to see long term positive results.

Been dealing with major depression and PTSD as a result of childhood sexual abuse, bullying and health issues growing up. I was put on antidepressants in 2006 when I was 22 after being admitted to a Psych Ward after I overdosed on heroin and DXM that may or may not have been a suicide attempt. Ended up starting to see a psychologist and psychiatrist and I was put on the SSRI Lexapro. They had me try nearly every SSRI including Celexa, Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft as well. I didn't like being on them at all because I felt like an emotionless zombie. Long story short both my psychologist and psychiatrist at the time agreed that I didn't need to be on them anymore and that therapy itself was helping. I was weaned off em in 2009 and stopped seeing my psychiatrist a bit after that and my psychologist in 2013. I may start seeing a psychologist again because I've noticed lately I've been a lot less happy

Seen one of my best friends turn into a reclusive zombie on depression meds. The answer isn't medication first and only. You have to make lifestyle changes to see if that improves anything first. And then if not, lifestyle change in conjunction with the use of the medication second.

People feel like shit because they're lives are shit. Then they take the medication and think it's gonna make it better, but they're still doing the same things they did without the meds. You have to change your life in order to see long term positive results.
I can attest to what your best friend went through. I was taking SSRI's and I didn't like being on them at all. Being on them took any emotions I had whether happy or sad and just buried them completely. I was a zombie without any feeling at all and I fucking hated it with a passion. Thankfully my psychologist and psychiatrist at the time realized it too and weaned me off them. I haven't taken depression meds since 2009

I actually have a question for anyone who has taken them. Do you ever transition to not needing them or are you constantly on them to stabilize your mood?

I'm constantly on them, every time I've thought I feel pretty good so I'll try coming off them I've pretty soon felt terrible again and remembered there's a reason I take them

I'm constantly on them, every time I've thought I feel pretty good so I'll try coming off them I've pretty soon felt terrible again and remembered there's a reason I take them

Someone finally answered me, tnx. Hope you continue feeling well.

Libido killer, also coming off of them can be dangerous.
Yeah that’s the biggest thing. My ex wife went on them for OCD stuff after being off them for a long time. Massive change in libido, just absolutely gone.

Run into people on them at work all time, they complain about that talking to the mental health counselors all the time too.

We live in a world where people literally think it is healthy to live on diet pills and anti-depressants.

If you need help, I hope you get it. Good help isn't easy to find. It's easy to find a therapist and other mental health pros that validate things about you that shouldn't be validated and that like to push their personal ideas and beliefs. It's hard to find ones that will take the time and effort to dig into you and get close to the source of what isn't quite right.

Good luck, and from way over here I'd recommend viewing anti-depressants as about a last option.

I think the best way to fight depression is to just spend your life banging beautiful young women, traveling the world and staying in luxury hotels, getting courtside seats to NBA games, scuba diving and parasailing, eating at the nicest restaurants in the world, flying everywhere on private jets, etc.

If none of that works then definitely try some medications. You only live once and being miserable isn't much fun.

Libido killer, also coming off of them can be dangerous.

Wellburtin to me felt like always being on a strong cup of coffee. It helps with depression but not anxiety. Something that is kind of funny not funny is that that doctors have to be aware of how much energy a medication might give someone that is suicidally depressed. Often, you have someone suicidal but they don't have enough motivation to follow through on killing themselves. What can happen if you give someone like that something that give them more energy is that they get the motivation to go kill themselves. Being unmotivated and depressed can be like a bad safe guard to someone killing themselves.

Back