News Derek Brunson has signed with PFL and moving up to Light Heavyweight Division

So the Roman Dolidze fight isn't happening?

Holy shit, I just looked at Derek's record (to remember which event he fought Anderson at) and totally forgot that he fought in Strikeforce, and was one of the guys brought over when the UFC bought it. <{Joewithit}>
I remembered him at being more "recent" than that for some reason...

I'm still sad for him that he got fucked over so badly in the Silva fight, no one cared because they were happy watching AS get a win somehow, but the media scores are pretty telling
MEDIA SCORES
Sean Ross Sapp
Fightful.com 29-28 Silva
Mike Sloan
Sherdog.com 29-28 Silva
Steve Duncan
mma.uno 29-28 Silva
Nick Baldwin
BloodyElbow.com 29-28 Silva
Paul Fontaine
WrestlingObserver.com 28-29 Brunson
Chuck Mindenhall
MMAFighting.com 28-29 Brunson
Tristen Critchfield
Sherdog.com 28-29 Brunson
Matthew Wells
mmalatestnews.com 28-29 Brunson
Shaun Al-Shatti
MMAFighting.com 28-29 Brunson
Ryan Frederick
WrestlingObserver.com 28-29 Brunson
Seán Sheehan
SevereMMA.com 28-29 Brunson
Tim Burke
BloodyElbow.com 28-29 Brunson
Wesley Riddle
MMASucka.com 28-29 Brunson
Felipe Freitas
mmabrasil.com.br 28-29 Brunson
Rob Young
CombatPress.com 28-29 Brunson
Steven Kelliher
Tapology.com 28-30 Brunson
Jim Edwards
MMALatestNews.com 27-30 Brunson
John Pollock
Fight Network 27-30 Brunson
Rob Tatum
CombatPress.com 27-30 Brunson
Marc Raimondi
MMAFighting.com 27-30 Brunson
MMAJunkie.com 27-30 Brunson
Chris Nelson
Sherdog.com 27-30 Brunson
Nathan McCarter
BleacherReport.com 27-30 Brunson
MMAMania.com 27-30 Brunson

Oh well...

Anyway, Brunson had a really good career, he wasn't champ material but he could beat anyone who wasn't an elite (Jacare 2x, Adesanya, Romero, Whittaker... and Dricus is next for a title shot).

He's not washed up to the point where Bellator & PFL won't want him (and even BKFC would likely be happy to have him for a couple events)

I can see him only doing one or two more fights before retires for good he will be 40 in January. PFL should be OK for someone his age

He definitely should have stayed retired.

Although I suppose he never actually retired.
Why? He's definitely done competing at the very highest level, but I'm sure he could still compete with mid-tier talent in the PFL. Just a couple years ago he was looking as good as he's ever looked with dominant wins over Kevin Holland and Darren Till. Yes he subsequently got beat by Cannonier and Dricus, but those are two top 5 MW's in the world. I'm sure Brunson could still have a few more decent fights in the PFL against much weaker opponents and make some more cash at the end of his career.

Why? He's definitely done competing at the very highest level, but I'm sure he could still compete with mid-tier talent in the PFL. Just a couple years ago he was looking as good as he's ever looked with dominant wins over Kevin Holland and Darren Till. Yes he subsequently got beat by Cannonier and Dricus, but those are two top 5 MW's in the world. I'm sure Brunson could still have a few more decent fights in the PFL against much weaker opponents and make some more cash at the end of his career.
People have a very different energy about this compared to if Bellator had done it, where it would have been all negative

I really did think that he was gonna retire but good for him I guess.

One of my least favorite fighters ever.

He might win some fights but I don't think he can win the tournament. He's pretty old to be fighting that often and I don't think he matches up particularly well with Impa Kasanganay or especially Josh Silveira. Or Rob Wilkinson when he gets back. He might do alright, but he also might get more brain damage.

I really did think that he was gonna retire but good for him I guess.

One of my least favorite fighters ever.
Brunson is a legend. Held the gatekeeper role for years and separated the contenders from the pretenders. He proved you can be severely lacking in skill and technique and still be a top MW in the UFC. That's inspirational

Anyone know why Brunson and the UFC parted ways so suddenly?

I wish him the best, his style, fights and body type never really made me a fan but I'm all for fighters expanding and trying new orgs and markets

Anyone know why Brunson and the UFC parted ways so suddenly?
He probably felt like he would not be a champ anyway and his last few fights were not as good so what is the point of fighting all these killers in the ufc
Or maybe there was some usada stuff too

I dont know anyone who is a Brunson fan. Terrible signing. He will probably be getting paid six-figures and bring in zero viewership.

Back