Des destinées de l’âme

lsa

Pinktacular
Pink Belt
Reaction score
So.... this is awkward.

"Harvard Library has removed human skin from the binding of a copy of Arsène Houssaye’s book Des destinées de l’âme (1880s), held at Houghton Library. The volume’s first owner, French physician and bibliophile Dr. Ludovic Bouland (1839–1933), bound the book with skin he took without consent from the body of a deceased female patient in a hospital where he worked. The book has been in the collections of Harvard Library since 1934, initially placed on deposit by John B. Stetson, Jr. (1884–1952), an American diplomat, businessman, and Harvard alumnus (AB 1906), and later through donation by his widow Ruby F. Stetson to Houghton Library in 1954. "

Who said libraries were boring?

1. I wanna know what @senri thinks

2. @Slobodan how many times did you borrow the book?

So.... this is awkward.

"Harvard Library has removed human skin from the binding of a copy of Arsène Houssaye’s book Des destinées de l’âme (1880s), held at Houghton Library. The volume’s first owner, French physician and bibliophile Dr. Ludovic Bouland (1839–1933), bound the book with skin he took without consent from the body of a deceased female patient in a hospital where he worked. The book has been in the collections of Harvard Library since 1934, initially placed on deposit by John B. Stetson, Jr. (1884–1952), an American diplomat, businessman, and Harvard alumnus (AB 1906), and later through donation by his widow Ruby F. Stetson to Houghton Library in 1954. "

giphy.gif

So.... this is awkward.

I'm just shocked that you made a thread about a book of all things. :eek:

Defacing books and rewriting history..........

What next emancipation of Genghis Khan's concubines........

It's kind of stupid to remove it.

What's done is done. Put it in a museum and teach people how fucked up this guy was. It's history, all we can do is study it, talk about it, learn from it. But we can't undo it.

Are they going to give the skin back?

If not WTF is the point lol

So.... this is awkward.

The man was creative, he needed to do with what was around him at the time....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back