Despaigne might be the worst grappler in the UFC

So true, totally agree with you. haha I know people think I am a old fogey and like the old fighters, but I swear Severn would tap them so quick, they would never stop his world class wrestling and they would just turtle up on the floor and not know what to do and would get tapped quick.

Same goes for Rozenstruik and many of the other 2024 UFC HWs, they would all turtle up and get tapped. People think everything that is new is better, its not true, its definitely not true. Its just the 15 second memory everyone has.

Of course the lighter weight classes are a billion times better than before, especially BW and FW, its much better, no doubt. But I really think HW and LHW has gone backwards badly, I'm not seeing the skill, there are a couple of fights that are ok, but most of the fights are really sloppy and slow and just a mess. You know because you have a deep knowledge.

My man

{<redford}

I also agree with the lighter weight classes have actually evolved vs the heavier ones raising the bar much more slowly

Obviously Despaigne was clueless in the grappling and didn't really know what to do, however the few times there was striking he looked so amateurish as well, look at the few times he actually threw a punch on the feet, he was loading up like he was swinging a baseball bat and his eyes were closed, he was just trying to swing as hard as he could with his eyes closed. There was zero skill in that.

The whole thing was so bad.
This was what I was thinking as well. For a TKD Olympian, he had zero technique to his stand up at all. I mean he's a BIG guy so I wasn't expecting anything super flashy but at the least solid basics in footwork, distance control, feints, traps.... fuckin something.

He definitely is. I'm struggling to see anyone in the division he beats. Ad an addition as I said in the other thread his striking is weird too. Very weird. He throws overhand clubbing hammerfists like something from POTA. Not that skilled. I think he loses again and gets cut/retires. His only impressive trait in there last night was "being massive"

This was what I was thinking as well. For a TKD Olympian, he had zero technique to his stand up at all. I mean he's a BIG guy so I wasn't expecting anything super flashy but at the least solid basics in footwork, distance control, feints, traps.... fuckin something.
This

People surprised that a taekwondo medalist sucks at hand techniques. Have you ever watched taekwondo? They are literally just kicking. They are allowed to use hands, but kicking is heavily favoured, spinny shit most of all. Robelis was impressive because of how fast he managed to end fights, not by looking good doing it. Freaking taekwondo garbage.

And what’s Waldo’s excuse for coasting his slob ass to a decision? Cut them both.

People surprised that a taekwondo medalist sucks at hand techniques. Have you ever watched taekwondo? They are literally just kicking. They are allowed to use hands, but kicking is heavily favoured, spinny shit most of all. Robelis was impressive because of how fast he managed to end fights, not by looking good doing it. Freaking taekwondo garbage.
Wasn't the hand techniques that surprised me it was the lack of movement and distance control, both of which is a large part of TKD. He was flat footed the whole fight.

What does people watching him have to do with his grappling ability? Defending against a guy like Hooper from a bad position for a whole round shows he is decent.

Gane couldn't defend a TD against a one legged Francis who himself isn't much or a TD threat. Gane is quite possibly the worst grappler in the UFC not Slava Klaus.

This guy is far, far worse. Gane has 3 wins by submission. He would outgrapple the guy Despaigne just lost to.

Ngannou's grappling is also underrated, he just doesn't use it much. He's won fights by kimura, guillotine, and arm triangle choke.

no need for a thread.

this is a pbp comment at best
W--where should it be posted at worst?

11gbpz.jpg

original.jpg

Super dissapointed, guy obviously did not train as hard as he could. Probably cause he won all his fights so fast with questionable punching technique solely on his physical gifts.

What irks me the most, is the fact the was in a taekwondo stance for large portions of the fight and threw maybe 2 Highkicks.
Why be that tall and have that TW background and then don't use it. The downside obviously is the danger of taken down, but he got taken down from throwing weird loopy punches so at least get taken down after throwing something you excel at.

Desplain,Walter Valker, Braxton booh-tiful monster and Shamil GASiev.
HW prospects did not deliver in recent times.

<mma1>

was rooting for champagne to knock him TFO but then he turned into a helpless sea turtle. you can send both cans to bolivia.

This guy is. Who says Hooper is some elite bjj guy anyways lol

But yeah good luck to Hooper, let's agree to disagree.
In mma Hopper bjj is pretty amazing. The way he flows thru many positions, almost always getting mount is high level

This guy is far, far worse. Gane has 3 wins by submission. He would outgrapple the guy Despaigne just lost to.

Ngannou's grappling is also underrated, he just doesn't use it much. He's won fights by kimura, guillotine, and arm triangle choke.
I was responding to a post saying Slava Klaus was the worst grappler and I think his ability to defend against a BJJ guy for basically a whole round shows decent grappling. I said nothing about Despaigne or his opponent. Gane can't defend. It is much harder to defend then it is to get a basic choke IMO.

I was responding to a post saying Slava Klaus was the worst grappler and I think his ability to defend against a BJJ guy for basically a whole round shows decent grappling. I said nothing about Despaigne or his opponent. Gane can't defend. It is much harder to defend then it is to get a basic choke IMO.
You said Gane was the worst grappler in the UFC. He's not anywhere close to the worst grappler. He's an above average grappler compared to the rest of the division. He could grapplefuck the guy who just won last night's main event.

No that title belongs to the guy who fought just before him, Borshchev.

Bro, no.

Waldo isn't even a grappler. Slava was actually fighting who it's their specialty.

Slava survived for ages. If Chase was a HW he'd have Despaigne on the mat and finished within 2 mins lol.

Back