Did GSP have a weakness against southpaws?

Kkenway

#FreeDre
@Yellow
Reaction score
He only fought two southpaws in his UFC career, and struggled on the feet against both.

He managed to 50-45 Diaz with his wrestling advantage, but the exchanges they had on the feet were basically dead even and Nick landed some really good shots towards the end of Rd 3/start of Rd 4 which had GSP in some trouble. Nick also stuffed about 3-4 TDs in a row during this span but wasn't able to keep it up.

Wrestling was dead even against Hendricks so we got to see the two strike for rounds at a time, and GSP had a lot of trouble establishing his jab against a man with a 69" reach, and repeatedly got countered by Hendricks' lead hook.

Makes me wonder how he would've matched up against Lawler had he stuck around a bit longer.

GSP's jab was his best weapon and against a Southy it's not as effective

everyone has at least a slight disadvantage against southpaws, because southpaws regularly train with right handed people, but not the other way around.

Oh boy, I can't wait for another nonsense thread from you to roll out. How bout you ease back a little, make everyone's life easier.

You ask if he had a weakness against southpaws, and then indicate the GSP 50-45ed Diaz. And then you bring up Johny. Sheesh.

Also, Frank Trigg was a southpaw, and Matt Hughes frequently switched his stances and fought southpaw in several fights.

GSP's jab was his best weapon and against a Southy it's not as effective
Yes, it's a pretty common issue for jab-heavy fighters in boxing that don't move their head off the centerline like GSP.
Oh boy, I can't wait for another nonsense thread from you to roll out. How bout you ease back a little, make everyone's life easier.

You ask if he had a weakness against southpaws, and then indicate the GSP 50-45ed Diaz. And then you bring up Johny. Sheesh.
Diaz being southpaw didn't matter too much because he was never going to be able to deal with GSP's wrestling. But in the small time that they did exchange on the feet, GSP didn't outstrike him as easily as he did to orthodox fighters.

Get it? Or do I have to spell it out for you s-l-o-w-l-y?

Diaz being southpaw didn't matter too much because he was never going to be able to deal with GSP's wrestling. But in the small time that they did exchange on the feet, GSP didn't outstrike him as easily as he did to orthodox fighters.

Get it?
GSP outstruck Diaz by a wide margin on the feet.

LOL those stats are total significant strikes that count strikes on the ground lol
Good thing there's an indicator for distance strikes clearly marked on that page, and you can easily do the math for distant significant strike accuracy. Do I have to spell it out for you s-l-o-w-l-y?

beat all the southpaws he fought.

GSP is the GOAT, incoming GSP hater tears. (ie the same 2 or 3 upset retards in every GSP thread)

beat all the southpaws he fought.

GSP is the GOAT, incoming GSP hater tears. (ie the same 2 or 3 upset retards in every GSP thread)
Wasn't meant to be a GSP hate thread lol, I think he is the GOAT too

Crazy how every discussion about a fighter's strengths and weaknesses gets labelled as either hating or fanboying

Southpaws no

Fighters named Matt yes

Southpaws can be tricky .... Diaz often squares up , so don’t see a southpaw situation there .....Hendricks power and Wrestling were also bigger factors then his stance imo

BJ did well against GSP (at least in earlier rounds, on the feet) and he's not a southpaw

Also, Frank Trigg was a southpaw, and Matt Hughes frequently switched his stances and fought southpaw in several fights.

What's wrong with bringing up Hendricks? Trigg and Hughes had limited striking so your counter examples are bad.

What's wrong with bringing up Hendricks? Trigg and Hughes had limited striking so your counter examples are bad.
He listed two southpaws. GSP fought *four in his UFC career. The asterisk being Hughes, I don't recall his stance in the GSP fights, but I remember Hughes fighting southpaw against Serra. It's not a counterexample, it's merely the entirety of the data.

Go easy on TS, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. In his mind, 105-41 signifanct strikes is close.
See that's the thing, it wasn't all ground domination. Sure, he hit nine takedowns throughout the course of the one-sided fight, but GSP's 62 of 106 at distance (58.5% acc) compared to Diaz' 24 of 113 at distance (21.2% acc) is fairly dominant as well. But it's ok, everyone wants to move the goalposts about GSP so they do whatever they do.

He only fought two southpaws in his UFC career, and struggled on the feet against both.

He managed to 50-45 Diaz with his wrestling advantage, but the exchanges they had on the feet were basically dead even and Nick landed some really good shots towards the end of Rd 3/start of Rd 4 which had GSP in some trouble. Nick also stuffed about 3-4 TDs in a row during this span but wasn't able to keep it up.

Wrestling was dead even against Hendricks so we got to see the two strike for rounds at a time, and GSP had a lot of trouble establishing his jab against a man with a 69" reach, and repeatedly got countered by Hendricks' lead hook.

Makes me wonder how he would've matched up against Lawler had he stuck around a bit longer.

Almost EVERYBODY has a weakness against southpaws. Even most southpaws have a weakness against southpaws.

The majority of people (and therefore fighters and training partners) are orthodox fighters, who spend the majority of their time training with orthodox fighters. Muscle memory and reflexes learns to favour movements that an orthodox fighter makes. When facing a southpaw, suddenly movements and angles are reversed, which can easily throw someone off if they haven't put as much time into sparring a southpaw fighter.

The only southpaw GSP really struggled with was Hendricks, but could be due to the strength and wrestling of Hendricks...
Diaz had a couple good moments in the standup, but could be due to Diaz having good hands and cardio moreso than being southpaw...

I would say GSP probably not as good against southpaw fighters in standup, but not any worse compared to any other fighter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back