Did Max increase his power with the additional weight?

haj02

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Max Holloway got a clean KO on one of the most durable LW fighters ever and I'm not sure he's ever stopped a FW dead like that before. Did his power increase with the additional mass he put on or was it just a very clean shot that Max would have put him out with even if he was his normal weight?

Max Holloway got a clean KO on one of the most durable LW fighters ever and I'm not sure he's ever stopped a FW dead like that before. Did his power increase with the additional mass he put on or was it just a very clean shot that Max would have put him out with even if he was his normal weight?
His power definitely did increase. Its also the accumulation of damages. Looked like he broke Gaethje's nose at he end of the first round. And by the final seconds, Gaethje was exhausted and battered so Max, who is really not a power puncher was able to KO Gaethje

Yes I think he did, but its also about sitting down on his shots.

He was a lot more touch and go in many the fights at 145. But looking at the Kattar fight to this, it looks like the extra weight has done him good.

Though it also helps that Gadthje really is there to be hit at all times.

He sits down on his shots more, has more weight and Gaethje took a great right hook he didn't see coming, when he was tired, directly on the broken nose.
Brain shut off

He does, but also max was putting everything in those punches and justin was already damaged goods.

Yeah, bc he had enough power at the end of 5 rounds to put Gaethje out cold. I suppose it helped that he was putting everything he had left into those punches at the end though and had softened Gaethje up throughout the fight.

Gaethje embarrassed himself out there tbh. Got completely owned by a Featherweight who went life and death with Arnold Allen.

you can tell just by looking at his biceps that he got bigger

It is his 3rd KO (pure KOs) in UFC after Corassani and KZ.
I don't remember Corassani, but KZ had a weak chin in the end of his career.
I don't know if it is increased power or just Gaethje was really fatigued, his nose was destroyed and this happened.
Great fucking KO, though.

Also Max fought some durable chins: Volk, Frankie (in his prime), Ortega, Stephens, Kattar, Allen.

Of course it did. Speed was barely affected, but mass (in his arms) was increased. From a purely physics perspective, that should give him more KO power.

Notwithstanding, the accumulated damage was a huge factor.

That gaping jaw due to the broken nose had as much to do with the KO as added power, maybe more.

Not discrediting it at all, the point is to wear them down and finish them, but that nose and Justin having to breathe out his mouth had a big part in it.

I think Gaethje being exhausted was a huge part of it... Mouth open from the nose, half blind...

That takes nothing away from Max, but a KO with that punch is only happening in the fight.

No, seemed the same to me.

His power definitely did increase. Its also the accumulation of damages. Looked like he broke Gaethje's nose at he end of the first round. And by the final seconds, Gaethje was exhausted and battered so Max, who is really not a power puncher was able to KO Gaethje
That nose wasn't broken cause of accumulation though.

Any human alive would have gotten their nose broken if countered by a jumping hook kick right between the nostrils while diving in. let's not forget he had a deviated septum and got it fixed less than a couple years ago.

This isn't like a hit on the chin. Nobody has an iron nose genetics.

What we saw there was a perfectly executed gameplan. Piecing him up and fighting like he's the taller man by using distance formidably. Circling away and using footwork to reset whenever exchanges were made in close quarters, where Gaethje wanted to trade and felt comfortable.

Holloway battered Gaethje pretty damn bad for five rounds, both to the body and to the head. He did land a perfect shot one second before the final bell. Not sure if that's improved power, or just a cumulation of heavy damage on Gaethje, followed by a perfectly landed shot.

One strike that really seemed to hurt Gaethje was that spinning back kick. That was somewhat surprising.

Incredible performance by Holloway.

I honestly think it's more of a shift in style than increased power.

This isn't the same Max as the 2018 one who took Ortega to the depths of hell. The Max back then was somewhat of a reckless fighter, a pure volume striker with not as good of shot selection as he has nowadays.

Max throws a lot less now, but wants to land with more mean intention, and his striking arsenal is bigger nowadays. He's also fighting much more patient, you'd almost see Max back in the day get antsy if he hasn't thrown anything in 10 seconds but he's got rid of that bad habit.

Back