Media Diffrence between Oliveira and Conor

Give Conor most of Oliveira's opponents and his record would look a lot better too.
He very well may win those fights but let’s not act like at any point would Conor take on all comers the way Charles has. Since 2015 Conor has almost exclusively fought handpicked opponents

He very well may win those fights but let’s not act like at any point would Conor take on all comers the way Charles has. Since 2015 Conor has almost exclusively fought handpicked opponents
that’s the privilege you get when you’re the cash cow. oliveira could do the same if he knew how to market a fight or get his countrymen behind him. conor fought whoever they threw at him and fought regularly before he earned his payday.

You guys are not charles sorry guys, i know you are trying to feel good about your shit life but even the worst ufc fighter of all time is 100x more succesfull then all of you in life
So talking shit about conor or jones will not change anything, their life will not become worse, yours will not become better
It's so funny to me when people wastes their time to hate celebrities lol

that’s the privilege you get when you’re the cash cow. oliveira could do the same if he knew how to market a fight or get his countrymen behind him. conor fought whoever they threw at him and fought regularly before he earned his payday.
Yeah that's fair, I guess I can't say Conor always handpicked his opponents. He had to earn the right to do it and even then I can't say he handpicked Eddie or Khabib. But the fact that Charles opted to put his belt on the line against someone who many thought would beat him speaks volumes to his mindset IMO, he's never been scared to take on a challenge and I fully believe that is a huge reason as to why he has emerged as champion.

Charles has had to take on all comers because he wasn't champion, and on top of that had a long up and down record in the UFC that made him hard to trust to win the bigger fights. His recent run only starts being impressive at Ferguson, which was only in the last 12 months. Conor had to do the same too pre-championships, and even if you want to say his fights are handpicked every single fight since then has been top 5. Conor's had 7 top 5 fights in a row (9 if you include 2015 and 10/11 since 2014), meanwhile Charles has had 3. Can't really call it handpicking if you're exclusively fighting the top 5.

Also I mean, while Oliveira did just beat Poirier, he only had to fight Poirier now instead of in May precisely because Conor "handpicked" Poirier. It was Oliveira/Chandler for the belt precisely because Poirier ignored Charles to fight Conor instead.

Which is kinda ironic when you think about the fact that it very well might've been Oliveira/Poirier back then and Conor/Chandler otherwise, and therefore potentially Oliveira/Conor that just happened.

Charles has had to take on all comers because he wasn't champion, and on top of that had a long up and down record in the UFC that made him hard to trust to win the bigger fights. His recent run only starts being impressive at Ferguson, which was only in the last 12 months. Conor had to do the same too pre-championships, and even if you want to say his fights are handpicked every single fight since then has been top 5. Conor's had 7 top 5 fights in a row (9 if you include 2015 and 10/11 since 2014), meanwhile Charles has had 3. Can't really call it handpicking if you're exclusively fighting the top 5.

Also I mean, while Oliveira did just beat Poirier, he only had to fight Poirier now instead of in May precisely because Conor "handpicked" Poirier. It was Oliveira/Chandler for the belt precisely because Poirier ignored Charles to fight Conor instead.

Which is kinda ironic when you think about the fact that it very well might've been Oliveira/Poirier back then and Conor/Chandler otherwise, and therefore potentially Oliveira/Conor that just happened.
Yeah that is fair, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong. That being said though, I do tend to think Conor wouldn’t be able to persevere through adversity the way Charles has but there really is no way to say for sure. Conor created a situation for himself where he didn’t have to do that. Guess I can’t hate on that.

Oliveira is not a compete douchebag.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Conor would have a better record if he fought guys like Nik Lentz too.

Charles is a complete fighter and now a defending champion.

He has killers row ahead him though.

The difference is when McGregor killed himself to make 145 he could rehydrate, rebound, and deliver a performance at his peak level, while Oliveira couldn't even make 145 half the time, and when he did it probably wasn't the best version of Charles Oliveira.

When moving to 155 McGregor was the biggest name in the sport and the piles of money he brought in made him Dana White's favored son, who got to play by his own set of rules. Oliveira's was given an ultimatum, move to 155 or find employment elsewhere. He returned to lightweight on the boss's shit list, and was booked accordingly.

Inactivity, a belief that a fighting style reliant on power and take down defense that could dominate featherweights would carry over, and outside distractions have left us with a version of Conor McGregor that doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5 of the lightweight division. Oliveira has been focused on fighting. Over time his body physically matured, sanded down the rough edges in his game, and in ring experience has imparted self-confidence and improved his decision making. He has developed into a guy that can make the claim he's the best lightweight in the world, Khabib's retirement status also allows him to make this claim.

Charles is a better fighter today, but both guys have been at the top, and both deserved to be in that position. Like a lot of things in life, timing, priorities, circumstance, and outside distractions have a great effect on how things turn out and how someone arrives where they are at any particular moment. I suspect both guys are happy with their life, and would not want to trade places with the other, so they aren't that different, really.

Back