DJ had more title defences than all current Champions COMBINED

He should have left 125 and try to move up. I know he didn't do well originally at 135 but staying at 125 was screwing him.

He did move up in ONE. Also he wanted his record. Moving up would have slowed him down in acheiving that goal like AS forays at LHW did. That was one of the factors in him not wanting TJ fight(there were others too). There was a chance TJ would miss weight and MM wouldn't gotten a title defense for beating him.

You can say "135 defenses count towards the overall defense record" but you don't get a defense for winning a new belt.

Let’s add a little context to this… his competition was mediocre and sometimes bottom of the barrel relative to title fights. Almost embarrassing considering this guy ducked TJ who wanted to fight him at FLW.

Tim Elliot, Chris Cariosso, Ray Borg, Wilson Reis, etc.

Those guys would never get title shots in any other division. Subpar athletes with limited skill sets.

Good riddance.

He did move up in ONE. Also he wanted his record. Moving up would have slowed him down in acheiving that goal like AS forays at LHW did. That was one of the factors in him not wanting TJ fight(there were others too). There was a chance TJ would miss weight and MM wouldn't gotten a title defense for beating him.

You can say "135 defenses count towards the overall defense record" but you don't get a defense for winning a new belt.

Yea but ONE does weight cuts differently so everyone kind of moves up. Moving up could have got him more money which is clearly what he wanted. AS moving up to LHW only increased his popularity and his aura.

He seemed way to risk averse IMO and should have taken some chances.

Let’s add a little context to this… his competition was mediocre and sometimes bottom of the barrel relative to title fights. Almost embarrassing considering this guy ducked TJ who wanted to fight him at FLW.

Tim Elliot, Chris Cariosso, Ray Borg, Wilson Reis, etc.

Those guys would never get title shots in any other division. Subpar athletes with limited skill sets.

Good riddance.

Try the front end of his reign instead of cherry picking fights that prove your narrative. Fact checker

source.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

source.gif

Filthy fucking casuals

No fighter who has ever stepped into the Octagon has been as complete a fighter as DJ. No failed drug tests either. Mouse, GSP, Fedor, and Aldo are the 4 best to ever do it at the top level consistently in the history of the sport, and I'd throw an asterisk at Anderson for only failing a test after breaking his leg in 2 but he's DQd all the same

Jon Jones and GSP were more well rounded and fought infinitely better comp. DJ looked great facing low level comp. Against actual great fighters he either lost or ducked them.

Try the front end of his reign instead of cherry picking fights that prove your narrative. Fact checker

Multiple fights with Dodson, 0-5 in title fights Joe B, and Uncle Creepy are supposed to be elite wins? couple that with the fact that there were a handful of toss up decisions in there.

The UFC let him go because he had no interest in testing himself. He wanted more money for layup fights despite the fact that he wasn’t a draw.

I’d say the UFC got a good ROI simply due to the fact that Cejudo beat him and became a star in the sport whereas DJ went on to get knocked out cold in the minor leagues lol.

Multiple fights with Dodson, 0-5 in title fights Joe B, and Uncle Creepy are supposed to be elite wins? couple that with the fact that there were a handful of toss up decisions in there.

The UFC let him go because he had no interest in testing himself. He wanted more money for layup fights despite the fact that he wasn’t a draw.

I’d say the UFC got a good ROI simply due to the fact that Cejudo beat him and became a star in the sport whereas DJ went on to get knocked out cold in the minor leagues lol.

Yes. 125 in 2012-2014 was the deepest division top to bottom in UFC history. If you look into it basically every fighter in that divisison was fucking amazing.

Yes. 125 in 2012-2014 was the deepest division top to bottom in UFC history. If you look into it basically every fighter in that divisison was fucking amazing.

Factually incorrect. FLW at that time was a made up division poorly sewn together by bantamweight flunkies like DJ and Joe B who got easily slapped around by Dom.

There maybe like 10 guys in the whole division lol, none who had ever touched gold in the divisions they flunked out of.

This is just crazy talk man. Come on 125 has never been the deepest division.

This is just crazy talk man. Come on 125 has never been the deepest division.

I said best top to bottom. They had 25-30 all fucking did wild things in other orgs. All fought each other so everyone had a terrible record except the top 5.

I said it back then I'm saying it today. I will die on this hill.

He should have left 125 and try to move up. I know he didn't do well originally at 135 but staying at 125 was screwing him.
The UFC wanted him to fight TJ and initially MM agreed if he was paid $1 million which the UFC refused. Honestly fair enough, his contract was like $125k/$75 so $1 million would be a massive raise.

However it seems that later on Matt Hume had the brilliant idea that DJ would agree to the title fight on the condition that if TJ missed weight they would fight for the 135lb title. The UFC flat out refused and DJ stuck to his guns. At the time I hated it but now I understand. The UFC had it out for DJ and they wanted TJ to finish him even if it was at catchweight and DJ kept his belt. But they would never risk DJ being able to achieve double champ status. The UFC bears a lot of blame for messing up the TJ vs DJ fight by not giving DJ that potential opportunity.

Last edited:
Factually incorrect. FLW at that time was a made up division poorly sewn together by bantamweight flunkies like DJ and Joe B who got easily slapped around by Dom.

There maybe like 10 guys in the whole division lol, none who had ever touched gold in the divisions they flunked out of.
The fact that DJ and JoeB could be competitive in higher weight classes despite being undersized speaks to their talent speaks so I disagree with you there.

But overall I agree, 125 at the time was very shallow. There were a few good fighters like JoeB and Dodson but it was top heavy and DJ eventually entered the Jones zone where we get a bunch of champ vs chump match ups like the title defenses against Borg, Elliot, and Cariaso.

I don't care what round a finish happens sir.
Actually, I don't see why anybody would

Because context matters when youre talking about what wins and loses mean. It matters.

Finishes matter and that's the context

No, the context of the finish matters. Period. End of Story. And nothing you say is going to change a fact into fiction.

Mir landed a beautiful knee that KO’d CroCop but the fight was crap. So nobody talks about it.

Back