Do Non-Americans get weirded out when watching certain American movies

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just watched Army of the Dead for the first time. Did non Americans find it weird that zombies attacked then everyone just came out of their suburbs fully armed to the teeth with AR15s including soccer moms like every other house has an armament? Like they cant relate to it. in their zombie movies the people use things like cricket bats and badminton rackets?

Last edited:
Not really.

I don't have a problem with guns.

Regularly seeing police officers with machine guns patrol Gatwick Souths village when I first started working, didn't bother me at all.

I just watched Army of the Dead for the first time. Did non Americans find it weird that zombies attacked then everyone just came out of their suburbs fully armed to the teeth with AR15s including soccer moms like every other house has an armament? Like they cant relate to it. in their zombie movies the people use things like cricket bats and badminton rackets?

You goddam right, I'd give any zombie a cover drive to the balls!

Army of the dead had such an awesome opener and then the rest of the movie was a massive let down for me

Which is why I feel Alex Garlands Civil War is built on a bit of a false premise, this idea that Americans sit in blissful ignorance of conflict at home whilst their foreign policy drives it around the world.

Whilst its true of course the US hasnt had real war on its mainland territory in the lifetime of anyone alive I don't think that really sums up the US mentality very well, maybe it sums up the British mentality rather more? we have had war come to the mainland UK in peoples lifetimes of course but culturally I feel like its not something which gets focused on nearly as much, the idea that an everyday middleclass lifestyle will go on regardless is I think most popular.

I think Americans by comparison tend to be over obsessed with the the idea of invasion or society collapsing and I think you can see it reflected in Hollywood recently which for the last 2-3 decades has been obsessed with showing some kind of invasion or disaster threatening the US, epically threatening middle class white families in suburbia, Aliens, Asteroids, Zombies, Natural Disasters, etc.

Maybe because conflict on its own territory is much more a part of US history? bombing in the world wars aside the UK has not had a battle fought on the mainland since Culloden in 1746.

if American zombies all has AR15, the world is fcked

Yes, sometimes, but not because of the guns.
And btw other countries tend not to make zombie movies....

Back