Movies Do you care about award shows?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oscars, Golden Globes, VMAs, etc.

For some strange reason, these award shows have sunken in terms of viewership. Why do you think that is? To me, it is weird because people have more time than ever to sit around and watch it. It seems that the people are no longer caring about these award shows. I'd say "the pandemic has taught people what's important, and it isn't TV" but that'd be bullshit, because more people than ever are sitting around watching a girl with a zuchinni on Onlyfans.

In any case, I'd watch Oscars once in a while if they were on, mainly so I'd know what good movies of yesteryear I'd pira-- I mean, rent from the Redbox. But again, if I happen to know they're on, I'll toggle between them and some other show. It isn't like a big UFC match that I'd deliberately plan on watching.

I've heard many say they don't care about award shows because they're celebrities patting each other on the back...
cover1.jpg

What do you think about award shows?

As a kid I used to love watching the Brit awards (music).

Started watching this years one and had to switch off. Every single artist used it as a platform to virtue signal about BLM and having more females etc.

Especially the white ones.......so woke.

Last edited:
Not much about them. I mostly care about my opinion but awards and stats do make your argument stronger when talking about a film, since it's kinda impersonal.

like: "Gladiator recieved 5 oscars", so while the movie itself is great already, those awards only support my opinion.

As a kid I used to live watching the Brit awards (music).

Started watching this years one and had to switch off. Every single artist used it as a platform to virtue signal about BLM and having more females etc.

Especially the white ones.

I think the virtue signaling is a big turnoff for a lot of folks.

I can see both POV.

One one hand it's like: If you don't thank the Academy and go sit down... Stop trying to out-woke the last winner.

On the other hand: If you have something you're passionate about, what better time to use your platform than when you have millions of eyes watching you? That's what a lot of UFC fighters do when Joe Rogan is giving them the post-fight interview.

Its nice to see something a bit obscure get attension but the typical fairly bland oscar baitsh stuff I can't say I care too much who wins.

Back in the day the Oscars were fucking amazing, pick a year in the 70's or 80's and the best actor/actress categories were packed full of legitimately great actors.
It needs to be retired, why did they even bother this year?

I never watch them, though I do check the Grammys afterwards to see who won what (and maybe watch a performance if anyone I like happened to perform).

There's something very "middle-aged white woman" about watching award shows, just like watching Good Morning America and Ellen The Generous every morning

I haven’t watched any of them in about 20 years.

Could care less. Used to like the MTV Awards before it became the BET and POP awards, no more rock acts. The Hollywood elite are mostly snowflake asswipes so I just don’t want to hear them SJWing us to death in their speeches....and now a white person can't even win without cries of racism, like Anthony Hopkins.

Those things aren't even about the awards anymore.

Just a bunch of Rich folks telling us How to live.

Fuck 'em.

Not at all. I think it's the older generation keeping them going. I'll watch if someone I know is watching. My buddy's girl likes to watch them so every few years I end up seeing one.

They're as boring as they ever were.

I like to watch the Oscars, Im a gigantic movie fan, I have a movie blog. Its not really about whats better and whats worst, if you see it like that, then Im sorry but the joke is on you. There is no better or worse, art is simply how it touches and you thats all. Watching the Oscars is simply like a big celebration of the biggest movie system in the world. You see the stars but you actually get to see the directors, writers, editors and so on. They get recognized as well, and even the ones who win I think understand it doesnt mean they were "better", somebody got voted more on that day, thats all. So yeah I like watching the Oscars, I think I always will

Back