Do you think professional MMA fighters are among the bravest people in the world?

nahh, there's lots of more dangerous and brutal jobs. imagine being a stone mason for 30 yrs. waking up and going to work every day carrying hollow blocks, bricks, rocks all day. you might not get brain damage but your body is going to take an unreal amount of abuse, especially since you wake up and do it daily. those guys who fix phone cell towers are also insanely dangerous job. electricians. architects who design things that thousands of people will be using for years is an insane amount of responsibility.

lots of fighters have said they chose fighting because they couldn't ever see themselves doing a 9 to 5 job. in that way they're not brave at all because they couldn't face the monotony of every day life that most people live and use fighting to escape their fear instead of facing it.

however i do think they are respectable for getting in the cage and trying to prove their worth in front of millions. that takes a crazy amount of self-belief.

Brave Definition: ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage.
Courage Defintion: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

They are brave but this is a sport that happens to be filled with physical danger and sports are mostly the battle with self but then so is life. Hmmm.... tough one. I don't think they are among the bravest. I'm going to reserve that for other occupations and situations.

Depends on definition of athlete, Alex Harnold, the psychopath (according to mRI imagining of his fear receptors in his brain showing 0 signs) climbing El Capitan, BARE HANDED WITH NO ROPES, IS the definition of fearless, imo!
Alex is one of the bravest people on the planet. He already fell and was almost killed and still keeps climbing freehand, by himself a lot of the times. Talk about getting back up after falling down.

MMA fighters lives are very rarely in any actual danger same goes with alot of the people mentioned in this thread that safety is such a big priority

Soldiers and people fighting in wars when any second they might get their head blown off is much braver than fighting in the octagon.

I've trained for 15 years and never once took a pro or ammy fight....
So they're definitely a lot braver than I am.
ForkedAmusedAllensbigearedbat-max-1mb.gif

Well if ur a champ that ducks and fights only once a year. Then honestly, 95% of the time ur just training and resting, and u only gotta do something dangerous for 25 minutes max for once maybe twice a year. And theres also a chance u dont even get hurt because u can KO the guy in 1 minute, then chill for another 9 months.

doing jobs like deep sea fishing and ice road truckers is way more dangerous and takes bravery.

Fighters fight because they have a talent, put leon edwards on a fishing boat with 20ft high waves crashing into his boat while reeling in a net or fixing something and i bet he would rather be getting his crotch sniffed by usman….

1. Mothers
2. MMA Fighters
3. First Responders

Edit: I'm gonna sandwich in someone who comes out as transgender between 1 and 2.

Fighting in front of a crowd is brave, but all top sports are
Nothing brave about fighting. You get hit? You hit back
It's not like facing a loaded gun on a battlefield
Edit
Obviously if a fighter never gives up and fights like a Rocky Balboa, then yes that is brave. But being a fighter in itself doesn't make you brave. It's how you fight!
Thats wrong. Fighting alone makes you brave, generally going to a confrontation makes you brave, even if its just a verbaly one.
Most people dont like confrontations and most people aren't brave. People who like confrontations can be regarded brave, so fighters are brave.

Loggers are pretty damn brave. To be able to do that day in and day out and work in one of the most dangerous occupations takes some balls.Workers-Comp-for-Logging-2.jpg

In a lot of cases I don’t feel like the brain damage is too much of a risk. I mean if the brain was never to be used in another occupation anyways, are you really risking anything having it sheared for coin?
hqdefault.jpg

Back