Does anyone actually think Pereira beat Izzy in their first fight?

Poatan came out of no where and beat Izzy in mma and became a 2 division champ in kickboxing and mma. Even if you want to say that its 2-2, Poatan has still accomplished things that Izzy has not.

It's a controversial decision for a reason. They should rematch. I wonder if the next three fights will be any more conclusive.

Recently rewatched their first fight in kickboxing:

The first round was very close, with not much significantly landed. Izzy was landing more.

The second round was also close, with Adesanya landing more combinations but Pereira had some good one twos as well. Again, more volume from Izzy in a very close round.

The third round was Adesanya's without a question. Pereira was hitting air and Izzy was teeing off for most of the round.

So even if you're generous to Pereira and have it 1-1 going into the third, Izzy should be winning 2-1.

Does anyone actually think Pereira won this fight convincingly?

The judges who scored the fight do. That’s all that matters.

Pereira is my favourite fighter but Izzy won the first fight and the ref stopped him winning the second fight arguably. But what Pereira has done since then in both sports, winning belts in 2 divisions and headlining UFC 300 is undeniable.

Pereira is a 2 division champ who has beaten everyone that beat Izzy.
Everyone? You make it sound like a long and storied list. Two guys doesn't qualify as needing to be described with Everyone.

Alex has good points, Izzy has good points. Neither one should define a Sherdogger's self image and sadly one or both seem to effect many on here in an unhealthy way.

Alex proved to be more successful in kickboxing. Kickboxing proved to be much less rewarding financially so Izzy went to MMA. Izzy paved the way for Alex and Alex followed him due to his huge success. Alex never gets fast tracked to a MW title shot if Izzy doesn't win and clear out the MW division for the most part. Alex parlayed that 1-1 head to head MMA rivalry into a fast tracked title shot at LHW.

Not sure how some can claim Izzy is afraid or is ducking Alex when Alex moved up a division because he could no longer make the cut to 185 lbs. Alex weighed 232 lbs for his most recent fight night and Izzy weighed 200.5 lbs when he fought Jan at LHW. Alex is clearly the much larger man and Izzy went toe to toe with him in the cage twice.

Alex walked him down and did more damage with his shots, I just posted this a week ago. Alex definitely won

It was a very close fight for sure that could have gone either way, that's why the rematch was necessary to settle the score but since Alex put any doubt about who is better when he put Israel to sleep and setting the score to 2-0 on his favor.

"3-1 Pereira" doesn't actually carry much weight if it was actually 2-2.
lol what an idiot. it is 3-1 and that’s a fact. your opinion doesn’t matter.

after checking wikipedia, it seems that alex pereira won, yes

Most responses here are clearly biased to who they like more, I like both fighters. Personally I thought Izzy won the 1st kb match and was slightly robbed, but Pereira proved to be deadly for Izzy. Both guys are sort of good at what the other is weak at, which makes it a great matchup. I hope we get a final match between the 2 before either retires, but honestly they both are on different paths right now.

They are both clearly competitive with each other in the standup.

Their grappling exchanges were embarrassing to watch though.

Yes, he was basically beaten by an favelado alcoholic tire-repairer with 1/3 of his kickboxing experience.

"Izzy paved the way for Alex and Alex followed him due to his huge success."

Alex paved his own way with Izzy's corpse kicking him out of kickboxing, you can't rewrite history no matter how hard you try.

Pereira had a lot of luck involved vs Izzy.

First kickboxing match Adesanya should've won. Here is Wonderboy Thompson breaking it down:

Second Kickboxing match Izzy was clearly winning and was about to finish Pereira, but Pereira received a standing 8 count to save him.

First MMA fight Izzy was about to finish Pereira but the end of the round saved him again. In the 5th round in a fight he was clearly winning, Izzy didn't have the benefit of receiving a standing 8 count like Pereira did in the kickboxing match to save him. (Izzy winning till he lost three times now ;) )

Second MMA fight Izzy won the 1st round then KOd Pereira in the 2nd round

Last edited:
This is the reason I accept judge’s decisions and move on. I don’t agree with some scores of fights. But I’m not going to make a thread 8 years after a fight complaining about how that fight was scored.

The fact is the official records are never going to change. So no matter what it just seems completely lame, and salty.

Back