Does anyone else find the disregard for Pereira as a competent grappler irritating?

Wtf is this anal period of a cope fest?

Yo. No one is lining up to praise the adequacy of any kickboxers grappling. Alex is doing well right now.. we’ll see how far it goes. My mind is not blown and his grappling is in no sense interesting enough to talk about.

I am under the impression Poatan splits his training in New Jersey with the other heavyset coach. I can't remember the location but it looked more inner city from the videos. I am assuming it's like Jersey City or Newark area? I don't think he is making the daily 2-3 hour drive?

Edit: Maybe you are right. I thought maybe he does some grappling with the heavyset BJJ coach. Lol that guy is holding pads for Alex in their training videos. It makes no sense.
you are talking about plinio cruz, funny thing is he was my first bjj coach when he fought at middleweight, he was 3-0 and fought sapo natal about a month after I started training with him. I believe his gym is in Harrison NJ, which is basically Newark. Alex lives in Connecticut though so he mainly trains at texeira MMA. it doesn't make any sense to me either, plinio started training with Alex while Alex was still in glory and just a kickboxer.

If he's not the best at it he sucks = sherdog.

Man is a fighting machine anywhere and everywhere

He's not great. But he's good enough. If he wasn't he would have been subbed or finished by strikes by one of the multiple fighters who had taken him down so far.

Sure kick-boxers in their mid 30's always become excellent grapplers after training MMA for a few years.

My question I'd ask, "if all someone had to do was train to grapple and take him down and choke him out, why is he beating everyone?" I mean seems easy, focus on taking him down for your whole camp and you will win, why has this not been a plan from all the top ranked coaches if this is the sure fire easy win? Asking for a friend

The only thing I find irritating regarding Potatoman is the constant spam threads about him from casuals.

My question I'd ask, "if all someone had to do was train to grapple and take him down and choke him out, why is he beating everyone?" I mean seems easy, focus on taking him down for your whole camp and you will win, why has this not been a plan from all the top ranked coaches if this is the sure fire easy win? Asking for a friend
Pretty straightforward answer - matchups:

Bruno Silva - striker
Strickland - striker who refuses to use his grappling and only wants to do 'the man dance'
Izzy - striker who only grapples defensively
Jan - primarily striker but competent grappler
Jiri - striker who has rounded out his game to improve what used to be a clearly deficient ground game prior to signing with the ufc
Hill - striker who got his arm mangled by Paul Craig on the ground

Poatan has had a lot of time to improve his grappling since his debut, so at this point I'd imagine it's less of a liability than most would assume but still likely not good enough to deal with elite offensive grappling of which there's not much at 205 currently. Off the top of my head, Ankalaev would be the legit wrestling test, but no telling if he'll commit to that gameplan or not for reasons beyond me

I don't care. He's knocking mofos out at the highest level. Im good with that.

It is said because it is true and many people, and fighters have said he is a novice on the ground including Masvidal. This is from his current fights with Adesanya and others.

If it bothers you then you need to watch a new sport. The problem with sherdog is that posters live through the fighters they cheer for and personalize everything said about them. Nothing is written in stone but there is a reason Alex wants to train with Jones in wrestling.
Fighters have the worst and most biased takes in the game. Masvidal? I like him but lol at taking anything he says seriously 😂

Jones, Rumble, Gus, DC >>>

The Homer Simpson defense can only thrive in this specific era of LHW.
I would take Jiri over DC or Gus, to be honest. I think Jiri could land the kind of shots needed to make DC uncomfortable, and Gus faltered hard when he couldn't break your pressure down.

Dude wins fights and multiple belts without grappling makes him an incompetent grappler?

Sherdog: Hates lay n pray blankets and loves just bleed KO artist.

Sherdog after Poatan wins by KO: Alex doesn't do enough grappling, seems like he lucks out with lucky KO's. Wait til someone grapples him.

Narrative? It's the obvious truth. There are no good grapplers in the division other than Ank. 10 years ago we had Jones, DC, Rumble, Glover, Bader, Davis, and Cory Anderson all in their prime in the same division. And let's add on Gus, who grapplefucked Jan with ease. It's undeniable the current division is short on grappling talent.
Jan is a good grappler.

People are just grasping at straws to hate on a guy that is on a tear.

Fighters have the worst and most biased takes in the game. Masvidal? I like him but lol at taking anything he says seriously 😂
Fighters are great sources of knowledge and many are the best at it.. It is one thing to have one fighter say it but when you have a consensus or two or more credible individuals, it tends to be more than just a coincidence. Rogan and Masvidal made the comment and they were correct. If you saw the Adesanya fight, he looked lost when Izzy took his back, yet he was supposedly at that time a purple belt or so in BJJ. Both stated they liked Alex as did Rogan, who claimed Alex was one of the best new MMA fighters he has seen, but they both agreed he was a bit of a novice on the ground and grappling. It is not a crime or a shame. He just needs to work on his ground game.

Pretty straightforward answer - matchups:

Bruno Silva - striker
Strickland - striker who refuses to use his grappling and only wants to do 'the man dance'
Izzy - striker who only grapples defensively
Jan - primarily striker but competent grappler
Jiri - striker who has rounded out his game to improve what used to be a clearly deficient ground game prior to signing with the ufc
Hill - striker who got his arm mangled by Paul Craig on the ground

Poatan has had a lot of time to improve his grappling since his debut, so at this point I'd imagine it's less of a liability than most would assume but still likely not good enough to deal with elite offensive grappling of which there's not much at 205 currently. Off the top of my head, Ankalaev would be the legit wrestling test, but no telling if he'll commit to that gameplan or not for reasons beyond me
But if it's that easy, isn't the key to fighting is to win? So why? You say match ups, but if you know a flaw, don't you use that to win? It's not hard to outgrapple someone who doesn't grapple.

Fighters are great sources of knowledge and many are the best at it.. It is one thing to have one fighter say it but when you have a consensus or two or more credible individuals, it tends to be more than just a coincidence. Rogan and Masvidal made the comment and they were correct. If you saw the Adesanya fight, he looked lost when Izzy took his back, yet he was supposedly at that time a purple belt or so in BJJ. Both stated they liked Alex as did Rogan, who claimed Alex was one of the best new MMA fighters he has seen, but they both agreed he was a bit of a novice on the ground and grappling. It is not a crime or a shame. He just needs to work on his ground game.
Yes Alex looked bad when Izzy was on top of him. That's actual footage so i buy it. That's one thing.

Mentioning fighters opinions and takes is pointless though. Hell, i've heard plenty of fighters say Pereiras ground game is legit. Pretty good even. Great source of knowledge right? If what you're saying is true, we're kind of in a stand still...

Edit: Did you say Rogan? The same Rogan who said Ronda Rousey would beat 50% of mens bantamweight? AND floyd mayweather too? Stop playing with me

Last edited:
Yes Alex looked bad when Izzy was on top of him. That's actual footage so i buy it. That's one thing.

Mentioning fighters opinions and takes is pointless though. Hell, i've heard plenty of fighters say Pereiras ground game is legit. Pretty good even. Great source of knowledge right? If what you're saying is true, we're kind of in a stand still...

Edit: Did you say Rogan? The same Rogan who said Ronda Rousey would beat 50% of mens bantamweight? AND floyd mayweather too? Stop playing with me
I saw plenty of fighters saying Hill's striking was more dangerous than Alex's too

Back