Does anyone else think it's strange that there hasn't been a movie or TV show about Timothy McVeigh and the OKC bombing?

Zen Master

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
For the record, since the bombing happened (back on April 19th, 1995), several documentaries have come out about the OKC bombing and Timothy McVeigh. However, no blockbuster movie or TV show (on Netflix, Paramount, etc.). That is extremely weird to me because the OKC bombing is still the worst act of domestic terrorism in US history; you would think an event like that would have warranted a movie or Netflix series by now.

As a point of comparison, a blockbuster movie about the Boston marathon bombing (starring Mark Wahlberg, Kevin Bacon, and JK Simmons) came out just three years after the event occurred. While the BMB (Boston marathon bombing) was horrific, only 3 people died that day versus 168 on April 19th, 1995.

IMO, there hasn't been a movie or TV show about McVeigh and the OKC bombing because a substantial portion of the general American public would have a difficult time accepting it. The known individuals involved in the bomb plot (McVeigh, Terry Nichols, Michael Fortier, and Lori Fortier) were/are American citizens; three of them were/are Army veterans; and it does not help that the official story behind the bombing is riddled with inconsistencies.

Lastly, studios have an easier time selling the image of foreign-born Muslims terrorists as the "bad guys," especially to American audiences (which was why a movie about the BMB was an easy sell). However, if it's a movie or show about US-born terrorists (who are white and Army veterans to top it off) committing a terrorist attack on US soil, killing almost 200 other Americans, then it becomes a more delicate matter. At least, that is my theory because I cannot think of another logical reason as to why no studio has made a movie or show about the OKC bombing. Also, I would bet every dollar I have that if the people behind the OKC bombing had been foreign-born Muslims, a movie or two would have been released back in the 90s and by now a Netflix series would have been released.

I know my post is long, but I wanted to give y'all a good understanding of my thoughts on the matter. What are y'all's thoughts?

How many American born terrorists have been white? Not many. So it’s not like they are avoiding making movies.

We never got an 9/11 movie besides united 93 and World Trade Center which only covers a small part of what happened

Sometimes movies just aren't made about fills you would think is a no brainer. Alexander was likely rhe most fsmous non religion person to ever live with one of the most interesting short lives ever. There's been 2 movies on him. 1 old 50s movie and a movie 20 years ago that's been re do e 100x an still sucks.

McVeigh I thought had a TV. Movie 20 years ago though. I agree there should be but remaking every superhero movie takes priority now

No its not strange. Especially now is not the right time to shine a light back on the reasoning behind this attack or give people reasons to research the ruby ridge and waco incidents if they arent already familiar with them.

Sensitive subjects in this climate to say the least

I lived a few miles from the Murrah building when it went down. I remember feeling the shockwave and getting scared to a point where I hid underneath a table.. not even joking.

The aftermath was pretty crazy. My parents drove by it a few months later and seeing all the destruction it caused first hand was something else. Straight out of a movie

Sometimes movies just aren't made about fills you would think is a no brainer. Alexander was likely rhe most fsmous non religion person to ever live with one of the most interesting short lives ever. There's been 2 movies on him. 1 old 50s movie and a movie 20 years ago that's been re do e 100x an still sucks.

McVeigh I thought had a TV. Movie 20 years ago though. I agree there should be but remaking every superhero movie takes priority now
Good point.

I've tried looking for that but haven't found a TV movie about McVeigh that came out 20 years ago.

No its not strange. Especially now is not the right time to shine a light back on the reasoning behind this attack or give people reasons to research the ruby ridge and waco incidents if they arent already familiar with them.

Sensitive subjects in this climate to say the least
Couldn't one argue that it would be a sensitive subject in any climate?

Maybe I was thinking about Unabomber
Unabomber's manifesto had alot of wisdom in it, the problems he spoke about...,

its just that his method for changing things is when he took a HARD LEFT TURN.

Thats where the CRAZY came in

Some of these guys who are highly intelligent or geniuses but are too mad to do anything constructive with it.

I lived a few miles from the Murrah building when it went down. I remember feeling the shockwave and getting scared to a point where I hid underneath a table.. not even joking.

The aftermath was pretty crazy. My parents drove by it a few months later and seeing all the destruction it caused first hand was something else. Straight out of a movie
That must have been crazy to experience in real time. I'm glad that you and your parents were not harmed physically by the blast.

What's interesting is that some people have suggested that the truck bomb by itself could not have been powerful enough to cause all that damage to the building. In fact, this dude Benton Partin (a retired Brigadier General at the time of the bombing and the former director of the Air Force Armaments Laboratory) wrote a report detailing the bomb damage analysis of the Murrah Building on July 30, 1995. In the report, he concluded that, "the major factor in its destruction appears to have been detonation of explosives carefully placed at four critical junctures on supporting columns within the building."

Back