Does Beneil fight Islam/Hooker winner? Gaethje/Chandler winner? or Oliveira/Poirier loser?

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Who does he fight next? Can you make an argument that Dariush get the winner of Poirier/Oliveira for a title shot?

Poirier, for his first title defense !

If Gaethje loses to Chandler I see Beneil being next inline for the title.
If Gaethje wins I see Beneil fighting Islam vs Hooker winner, and Gaethje getting the next title shot.

However, if Oliveira vs Poirier is an absolute banger 5 round war and its close, I see them doing a rematch immediately like the UFC likes to do. Then I see Beneil facing Gaethje- Chandler winner and Hooker-Islam winner having to fight a lower ranked opponent or wait for a bigger fight.

I can see Darius fighting the winner of hooker/islam and then getting a title shot.That would be the rational route but the UFC match making is anything but rational

He's odd man out.

He'll be forced to fight RDA or sit.

Dariush is a savage, but is it weird for anyone else to be talking about Dariush fighting for a title?

Dariush is a savage, but is it weird for anyone else to be talking about Dariush fighting for a title?

Beneil is a scrappy fighter but I don't think he's good enough to be champion. He skyrocketed in the rankings by beating a shot Tony Ferguson. The weakest of the UFC top 5 LW.

I like Beneil, I've always been rooting for him to win in any fight he's in, but lets put his winning streak in perspective: He was on a 3 fight losing streak(0-2-1)before he started winning, was getting pieced up by Klose barely surviving before knocking him out, won a split over Ferreira, the only top 5 win against Ferguson(who is by far the most over rated LW of all time). His striking defense is weak and anyone in the current top 5 would knock him out, including Hooker.

I like Beneil, I've always been rooting for him to win in any fight he's in, but lets put his winning streak in perspective: He was on a 3 fight losing streak(0-2-1)before he started winning, was getting pieced up by Klose barely surviving before knocking him out, won a split over Ferreira, the only top 5 win against Ferguson(who is by far the most over rated LW of all time). His striking defense is weak and anyone in the current top 5 would knock him out, including Hooker.
One can say any top 5 LW can knock Jim out, but at the same time he can dominate Hooker, Gaethje and Dustin on the mat.

Oliveira and Islam I believe would be a stalemate.

I'll take Beniel over Islam, but not over Charles

If Islam destroys Hooker and asks for the next title shot, I can see the UFC giving it to him.
Makes sense. Poirier could have got the title shot after Hooker if he didn't fight Conor. Chandler got a TS off beating Hooker. Wouldn't be surprised to see Islam get a title fight off beating Hooker.

Dariush against the winner of either Gaethje or Chandler. Chandler and Gaethje both are two fights away from a shot.

Who does he fight next? Can you make an argument that Dariush get the winner of Poirier/Oliveira for a title shot?
If Hooker beats Islam he'll have to fight another eliminator, possibly against Beneil, who will wait for a title shot or fight an elimanator against Gaethje/Chandler/Hooker, if Islam beats Hooker i think they'll give him the title shot against Olives or Poirier. Beneil will have to wait either way imo, he's not getting the first title shot.

he has no business being in the top-5 at LW and neither did the washed up shot Ferguson who he beat to get there.

And then all of a sudden Beneil has this list of guys that he says he doesn't wanna fight (Gaethje and RDA) but says he wants to be a fill in for the title fight.

Depends.

Dariush gets the next title shot if Oliveira remains champ, if Islam beats Hooker and Chandler beats Gaethje. UFC doesn't want Islam as champ yet - especially in a non seller Ollie/Ismak fight. He's close but he needs that one signature win over a decently known name or on a big stage (kinda like Khabz vs MJ at MSG). And there's no way to repackage Ollie/Chandler for the belt again.

Dariush fights Hooker next for numero uno contendero spot...o if Hooker beats Islam, if Gaethje beats Chandler and Doostin becomes champ. Cause then Gaethje/Doostin rematch would become UFC's priority. Meanwhile Chandler would fight Islam or Islam would fight Oliveira - both of which would be big possible wins for Ismak to get that title shot.

Sorry for the Scott Steiner MMA math.

Last edited:
Depends.

Dariush gets the next title shot if Oliveira remains champ, if Islam beats Hooker and Chandler beats Gaethje. UFC doesn't want Islam as champ yet - especially in a non seller Ollie/Ismak fight. He's close but he needs that one signature win over a decently known name or on a big stage (kinda like Khabz vs MJ at MSG). And there's no way to repackage Ollie/Chandler for the belt again.

Dariush fights Hooker next for numero uno contendero spot...o if Hooker beats Islam, if Gaethje beats Chandler and Doostin becomes champ. Cause then Gaethje/Doostin rematch would become UFC's priority. Meanwhile Chandler would fight Islam or Islam would fight Oliveira - both of which would be big possible wins for Ismak to get that title shot.

Sorry for the Scott Steiner MMA math.
Why would the UFC not want Islam as champ? They just threw Dan Hooker a ton of money to step in to fight him. Oliveira beats Poirier. Islam beat Hooker. Oliveira vs Islam early to mid 2022.

Why would the UFC not want Islam as champ? They just threw Dan Hooker a ton of money to step in to fight him. Oliveira beats Poirier. Islam beat Hooker. Oliveira vs Islam early to mid 2022.
I don't think the reasons for that are surface level. The rumored 300k they threw at Hooker to keep a card together and keep the division moving forward - these two reasons alone are well worth it.

And if you read all those lawsuit details about contracts - UFC are obligated to offer fighters a certain amount of fights per year, they have to get them fights. That's why Dana did the fight island deal - cause a lot of international fighters couldn't get into the US, UFC weren't able to get them fights. Dan's situation is not his fault and could, legally, be argued as a force majuere type of thing, so if they can't get him fights - it means UFC aren't holding up their side of the contract and Dan could become a fee agent or get paid whatever penalties are in the contract. We don't know this stuff, but there's more to this than just a single fight.

Only after all of this you have all the Khabib, Dagestani and Arab world interests to keep the fight together. I'm sure Khabib himself would pay Dan 300 grand to keep him in the fight just to get Islam a more known scalp on the resume.

And, yeah, I don't think UFC want Oliveira vs Islam right now. It's a company that did Lewis/Gane for a random interim belt, so it's not like they wouldn't do it without better options, but I don't believe they want it right now. They want Islam to get more exposure or fight someone more known like Doostin for the belt. But not Oliveira.

I can see Darius fighting the winner of hooker/islam and then getting a title shot.That would be the rational route but the UFC match making is anything but rational
If he fights the winner he isn't getting a title shot.

IMO it should be:
Winner of Islam/Hooker fights winner of Gaethje/Chandler

Then you can set up matches between Daruish, RDA, and the losers of above.

Back